Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #57
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by White-2-SS View Post
No I don't make it from scratch!! You must read more carefully! I said none of the after market TB's put striations in them.
Hmmm.....I did. And re-read it and re-read it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White-2-SS View Post
VMax is not an after market TB.
Don't see where I'm missing anything here but it straight says "VMax is not an aftermarket TB". Nothing about no other aftermarket TBs use striations.

That might have been what you thought but not what you wrote.

Done.....on this subject.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #58
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Some of Pete Incaudo's billet TB's. The bore is even and symetrical so no need for the spiral cut patteren to straighten and accelerate the flow that the OEM offset TB bores cause in turbulance. NO hand ported OEM tb can do what the VMax does:

Pete had the first 105, 110, and 115 mm big bore billet TB's and still makes them.

He was also the first that I am aware of to use the brass blade (FAST and others had sticking issues from the Aluminum blades as they expanded and contracted at a different rate than the main body as many remember) and the rest copied.

The spiral pattern port is from a ton of R&D and it is the velocity it improves that makes the power....there is no way to strighten the flow out with hand porting and if you show me a major magazine that did back to back tests on yours that show the gains you claim I would not be laughing at your ignorance, as the dozen or so that have tested Pete's VMax have documented with no dispute.

Show me just one. You can't.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #59
Scruffage

Drives: 2011 2ss Rs LS3 manual in black
I would like to hear the engineering behind both the smooth and the cnc spiral throttle body. How are your modifications improving velocity or mass air flow? Anyone care to explain in detail?
Scruffage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #60
Jayson9

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffage View Post
I would like to hear the engineering behind both the smooth and the cnc spiral throttle body. How are your modifications improving velocity or mass air flow? Anyone care to explain in detail?
With all of the back and forth... cost variation,... and claims, I would too!
Jayson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #61
A62010SS

Drives: 2010SS
Here is a thread about the VMax testing that Mike Norris did and he mentions the spiral cutting that the current VMax TB has. Good reading and the mention of the spiral cutting is about half way down. In talking to Pete, Mike has been using and testing VMax TB's from the beginning.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113634
A62010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #62
Scruffage

Quote:
Originally Posted by A62010SS View Post
Here is a thread about the VMax testing that Mike Norris did and he mentions the spiral cutting that the current VMax TB has. Good reading and the mention of the spiral cutting is about half way down. In talking to Pete, Mike has been using and testing VMax TB's from the beginning.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113634
After reading that article it seems that there is no proven benefit to the spiral cut vs the hand ported. I believe the spiral cut is nothing but a byproduct of the CNC machining process. The CNC process will give you consistent results as to the location and amount of material removed vs the inconsistency of hand porting. But in the end it seems, in the hands of a skilled professional, you may see greater results in a CNC ported then hand polished TB. The hand polishing would increase labor and cost thus reducing the ability to mass produce and distribute.

This is just speculation on my part. That is why I would like to hear the engineering behind the idea of the spiral cut to supplement the dyno data.

I'm not trying to question anyone's product but I like to make an informed educated decision. I would love to hear from the experts on this.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #63
Jayson9

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
After reading that article it seems that there is no proven benefit to the spiral cut vs the hand ported. I believe the spiral cut is nothing but a byproduct of the CNC machining process. The CNC process will give you consistent results as to the location and amount of material removed vs the inconsistency of hand porting. But in the end it seems, in the hands of a skilled professional, you may see greater results in a CNC ported then hand polished TB. The hand polishing would increase labor and cost thus reducing the ability to mass produce and distribute.

This is just speculation on my part. That is why I would like to hear the engineering behind the idea of the spiral cut to supplement the dyno data.

I'm not trying to question anyone's product but I like to make an informed educated decision. I would love to hear from the experts on this.

I agree........ still eating the popcorn awaiting some real comparison differences...............
Jayson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #64
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:

X2

My tuner tells me he can port and polish and not to worry about sending mine off for CNC porting
Old 02-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #65
A62010SS

Drives: 2010SS
Quote:

I believe the data from Mike's thread as well as the input from several customers proves the validity of the VMax units performance.
I have noticed that neither Mike or Pete from VMax makes any mention on the spiral cutting advantages, but a couple of other folks selling them do. Perhaps to try and gain a sales edge over other dealers?? It would be neat to see some data on this unit on the smooth versus spiral surface and not just a theory. Either way, the VMax rocks.
In the thread it is also mentioned that the VMax has shown an MPG improvement in some vehicles which may be a result of the spiral cutting pattern.
A62010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #66
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
i'm willing to test them if vendors are willing to send them to me so we can see which throttle body is better
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #67
Scruffage

Bump
Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #68
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Is there anything to be optimized from a re-tune with this mod?

Im running

ADM RACE CAI
LT's and Magnaflow Catback

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #69
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
No!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #70
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Is there anything to be optimized from a re-tune with this mod?

Im running

ADM RACE CAI
LT's and Magnaflow Catback
If you have been tuned previously and your tuner was on the aggressive side (little leaner then "normal") it would probably be a good idea to verify the A/F ratio. With a good safe tune or stock programming it should be just fine.

As far as the swirl pattern effects, I will not get into too much here as there is a lot of info in the thread that was mentioned. All I can say is that it was not done intentionally, but could have some benefit beyond the power and AF numbers.

Mike Norris
Mike Norris is offline   Reply With Quote