Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
WilliamGray

Drives: Charcoal Gray, SS Rims
2011 V6 Keeps Overheating

Background: One day my car suddenly shot up in temperature and Idle Engine warning came on so I immediately pulled over and shut the engine off. Come to find out I was out of coolant, bone dry. So after putting in more everything was fine.

After a week I checked the coolant level again to find out it had dropped, so after investigating I found it was leaking around the T-stat housing. I ordered a whole new thermostat housing assembly and while that was coming in, flushed my radiator with a cleaner. I drove to work with the cleaner still in the system with some water (which said was normal to do), and on my way to work it got hot again, overheated, and I had to limp it to work. At work I put more water into the system and made it home without overheating again.

Next day I flushed the cleaner and rinsed it out again, then replaced my T-stat housing and put new coolant in. But now it is still overheating. Whenever I try to bleed out the coolant for air it starts coming out all together. I believe the system isn't flowing right and is just allowing the engine to heat up. The water is just not flowing the way it should be.

I don't know if it is the new T-stat that is not opening up (which is brand new GM part) (Also terrible to get to on back of the engine) or if the water pump needs replaced. I am stumped and any help would be greatly appreciated!
WilliamGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
Kobra
Traitor

Drives: 2010 Camaro (BLOWN UP, GOT MUSTANG)
What temperature did it get to before it started telling you it was too hot? I may be dealing with the same type of situation and want to catch it before it gets worse; the digital gauge in the menu has shown my temperature to hit as high as 243 while having the vehicle running on a hot day in a parking lot, but has never warned me about the engine being hot.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:14 PM   #3
Guro305

Drives: 2010 LS Victory Red
You might have to bleed the coolant system. Sounds like you may have air trapped in it.

-Fifthgen Chevy Camaro Victory Red-
-C4 Chevy Corvette White-
Guro305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:38 PM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Water pump issue?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:49 AM   #5
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Did you put the thermostat in backwards? Also, why would you drive around with "cleaner" in the system? I wouldn't do that.

If all else fails, you might have popped a head gasket.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3.6 v6, coolant, overheating