Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
5th Gen SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM and Black/IOM
Vinyl vs Painted stripes in the desert sun

What do you think about vinyl vs painted stripes under long term exposure in the desert sun?
I will most likely have my stripes and logos painted on right after my car delivers. I'm still thinking about going vinyls. But, I don't want to take a chance of them drying/cracking in three years. Plus, the black vinyls are matte instead of semi or gloss.
5th Gen SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
MikesZ
Group Provocateur

Drives: Long Distances
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Gen SS View Post
What do you think about vinyl vs painted stripes under long term exposure in the desert sun?
I will most likely have my stripes and logos painted on right after my car delivers. I'm still thinking about going vinyls. But, I don't want to take a chance of them drying/cracking in three years. Plus, the black vinyls are matte instead of semi or gloss.
Painted = can wax over them = better protection against the elements.
MikesZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
AZ2SSRS

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Vinyl vs. Painted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Gen SS View Post
The way the weather is here in Phoenix, particularly last month, I don't think that the vinyls will hold up at all, especially if you park a lot in full sun. IMO, best to go painted and you can wax right over them when you wax the car.
AZ2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
BigBOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS, 6M, IBM
How much would painting the stripes on cost compared to the $470 vinyls?

Of course the prices will vary but what would be the range of something like that?
BigBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
Zaino those vinyl stripes and they will shine and be protected from UV as well as the paint!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
I plan on Zainoing my vinyl strips also. Down the road, I can easily remove them and paint new strips or even flames
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
TheNetGarage
We Sell Vinyl!

Drives: 2010 Camaro
It depends on the Vinyl you get. GM is using what I believe is a high grade of 3M Vinyl with a 7-10 year shelf life. Be wary of aftermarket vinyl, always ask what series they are using and what the life span is. Every brand has multiple levels.

If the do not say, they probably use cheaper stuff. The difference in cost of material is literally 3-4 times more for 7-10 year vinyl. So remember you get what you pay for!
TheNetGarage is offline   Reply With Quote