Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #43
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
FYI, A friend of mine was having issues with his LS3 (I don't remember the original symptoms), and had a shop tear down his engine I believe to originally do a cam swap.
What they found was a big surprise, the top corner of one of the front cylinders had developed a hole on the cylinder wall.
In the end, they surmised that his cooling system had developed an air bubble in the water jacket around that cylinder which led to no cooling of the cylinder wall where the air pocket was resulting in the cylinder wall failure.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #44
JOURDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Important Informtion

Over the last 6 months, I feel I've have read every bit of information out there regarding automotive cooling systems as it relates to coolant reservoir, recovery, overflow systems closed and vented.

I found very little information that was helpful in understanding how these systems work IN REAL LIFE and how active they are and the volumes transferred.

First, Coolant Expansion: CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion)

Calculating CTE, you will find its an exact science and the only variable is slight difference between water vs coolant, for argument sake they are the same CTE. Besides coolant is 50% water anyway.

Our coolant systems holds 11.7 quarts. For every 100 degree rise celsius.

T(ºF) = 100ºC × 9/5 + 32 = 212ºF

The coolant will expand 7% this equals roughly .800 quarts @ 212 degree F

Second, Volume transfer and frequency:

Its exciting to finally see it working. What I found was its transferring fluid back and forth anytime the pressure changes.

This happens like a bell curve.

Cold..........................................Hot. .............................................Cold
1.....2....3....4....5....6....7....8....9....9... .8....7...6...5...4....3....2...........1

the numbers represent the amount of coolant transfer vs temperature.

Last edited by JOURDAN; 11-20-2017 at 10:56 PM.
JOURDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #45
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
People often think the radiator fluid has to be changed because it does not keep the engine protected from heat ;but mostly freezing also.....but the fact is over time the radiator fluid becomes acidic also and can pit metals that are softer worse like aluminum so to everyone I would recommend testing your radiator fluid to keep it from attacking your engine, and using a litmus test literally for the acidity not just using a bulb that floats balls showing the cold protection factor of the coolant.

I am a old motorhead; to me about three to five at most years or so and its drained I used to always use aftermarket intakes and such with my chevys and when you would take them off pitting occurred where the block off of the intake contacted the heads and around the crossover where radiator fluid flows between sides of the engine through the manifold.

Though the pitting was bad it usually did not ruin the other sealing areas of the intake if the fluid was fairly regularly changed avoiding acidity.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...luid&FORM=IGRE

Glad you found your air was able to dissipate and the vacuum leaks........
Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #46
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
I check my coolant with a volt meter. Set to low range and dip one lead in the radiator and the other to grd. When I see voltage around .25V I change the fluid. Acid builds up and will act like a electrolyte. The dissimilar metals with the acid will start electrolysis.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #47
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Jourdan, off topic a bit for our Camaros, but our cars have a common recovery system, where the pressure cap is on the radiator and the tank is at ambient pressure. On my 2000 GMC, the pressure cap was on the tank, with the tank plumbed in directly with a Y connector in the heater hose, and no cap at all on the radiator. Frankly, I don't recall for my 2008 Silverado. I think my current 2014 Sierra has pressure in the tank as well.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #48
mario01

Drives: m5
subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
mario01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #49
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
When I service a cooling system, I usually like to drill two small holes in the metal retainer of the thermostat. It's an old trick to help purge the system of air when changing the coolant/thermostat. And, it also keeps the system from seeing large temp swings just before the thermostat opens.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:37 AM   #50
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
When I service a cooling system, I usually like to drill two small holes in the metal retainer of the thermostat. It's an old trick to help purge the system of air when changing the coolant/thermostat. And, it also keeps the system from seeing large temp swings just before the thermostat opens.
You just dated yourself ... that's an old school trick
Old 11-24-2017, 11:55 PM   #51
Spurshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
This is standard on the EMP Stewart thermostats

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/ind...tegory&path=61
Old 11-25-2017, 08:44 PM   #52
JOURDAN

update

Firstly, for me, its extremely important poor information does not get propagated.

At the end of the day, this has been a complex and exasperating exercise.

It has tricked me at times.... I am a professional technician. :(

My driver side head gasket is blown at rear near firewall. It holds pressure most of the time. It leaks just a minuscule amount

It leaks External. Oil is clean, coolant is clean. Some very small amount of combustion gasses maybe getting into coolant system at HIGH RPM's

This is the REAL reason my coolant wont transfer back

This is the list of coolant issues I discovered in the 6 months I have owned this project car.

#1 Heater core coolant leak > Replaced
#2 Oil cooler coolant leak > Deleted > system finally pressurized after these two repairs.
#3 Thermostat sticking closed > replaced > corrected heat spike for no reason.
#4 Blown head gasket >

Anyway, I'm going to tear down engine next week, install cam, springs, lifters, and gaskets. Mill heads if needed

Thanks for the sounding board.

Willie
Old 11-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #53
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The rear of the heads as with a lot of engine is where the heat likes to build up. Good Luck and don't forget to order new lifter baskets and some new TTY bolts for the heads and why not step up to ls9 gaskets for the heads....
Old 11-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #54
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
The rear of the heads as with a lot of engine is where the heat likes to build up. Good Luck and don't forget to order new lifter baskets and some new TTY bolts for the heads and why not step up to ls9 gaskets for the heads....
Christian, what is the advantage to the LS9 head gaskets? I ask because very soon I intend to do some work on my L99. Going to do a DOD delete and cam kit.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #55
Spurshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOURDAN View Post
Firstly, for me, its extremely important poor information does not get propagated.

At the end of the day, this has been a complex and exasperating exercise.

It has tricked me at times.... I am a professional technician. :(

My driver side head gasket is blown at rear near firewall. It holds pressure most of the time. It leaks just a minuscule amount

It leaks External. Oil is clean, coolant is clean. Some very small amount of combustion gasses maybe getting into coolant system at HIGH RPM's

This is the REAL reason my coolant wont transfer back

This is the list of coolant issues I discovered in the 6 months I have owned this project car.

#1 Heater core coolant leak > Replaced
#2 Oil cooler coolant leak > Deleted > system finally pressurized after these two repairs.
#3 Thermostat sticking closed > replaced > corrected heat spike for no reason.
#4 Blown head gasket >

Anyway, I'm going to tear down engine next week, install cam, springs, lifters, and gaskets. Mill heads if needed

Thanks for the sounding board.

Willie
Willie,
Wow! What an experience! Thanks for sharing this. I bet you're thread will help someone down the road. I'm wondering if the combustion by-products in the coolant are responsible for the hose deterioration? Maybe some reactive chemistry with the Dex?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #56
JOURDAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
Willie,
Wow! What an experience! Thanks for sharing this. I bet you're thread will help someone down the road. I'm wondering if the combustion by-products in the coolant are responsible for the hose deterioration? Maybe some reactive chemistry with the Dex?
Something unknown to me has caused accelerated break down of my cooling system. Who knows what this car went through before me?? It was not good.

I just discovered if if has a Blue > FELPRO head gasket on passenger side so OMG, someone has been in here before!!!!!!! And they were a a MESS MAKER

OH well... I will make it perfect. Thank God the rest of the car is OK.
All tags are dated correctly, never been in a major accident. So it will be a good car for me once completed.