Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #29
CamaroBC

Drives: Cyber Grey 2LT RS Coupe
I had something similar, I just added more coolant, and it went away.
CamaroBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #30
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
whats scary with this thread is that no one ever noticed the car engine having temp issues it was because the A/C shut down, that's some funny crap, pay attention people your car is talking to you all the time. There is a reason the car has a guage for engine temp, its important and not just overheating but too cool as well, I cant tell you how many emission failures I see for a stuck open T-stat running too cool.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #31
Brett64D

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 LS3
I disconnected the ECU (both cables) and the issue remains. The engine is not overheating but I get the indications that it is. Yesterday it did it again and I got the "Reduced Power" message. I do notice the temp indications before the AC goes out.
Whipple 2.9L Supercharger, Stage 2 CNC ported heads, Stage 3 Blower cam, ID850 injectors, 3-bolt cam sprocket, Lonnie's double fuel pump system, DOD/AFM Delete kit, ARP head & crank bolts, Trans cooler, Circle D Multi-Disc Torque Converter 3600 Stall, Lakewood sub-frame connectors, BMR Rear Differential Cradle bushings, BMR front and rear sway bars, BMR lower control arms, Lakewood trailing arms, Lakewood adjustable Toe links, One-piece 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft, 1400 HP Axles. Demon Eye Halos, RapidFire Brake light LEDs, Maas Monaco rims (Custom painted for color match), Heritage Grill.
Brett64D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #32
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
I am having this issue as well, I replaced the coolant sensor last year when it started doing it, and about 4-6 months ago I replaced the thermostat when it started doing it again. Its been fine all summer until today.

Any solutions? I took it to the dealership when I had my thermostat replaced, and I think they were clueless.

I know the engine is not overheating, and my coolant gauge on the DIC is not working, but my Aeroforce gauges are reading coolant just fine, and its staying around its normal temp.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:05 AM   #33
Brett64D

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 LS3
GM Customer Service - Any ideas? I am still having this issue!
Whipple 2.9L Supercharger, Stage 2 CNC ported heads, Stage 3 Blower cam, ID850 injectors, 3-bolt cam sprocket, Lonnie's double fuel pump system, DOD/AFM Delete kit, ARP head & crank bolts, Trans cooler, Circle D Multi-Disc Torque Converter 3600 Stall, Lakewood sub-frame connectors, BMR Rear Differential Cradle bushings, BMR front and rear sway bars, BMR lower control arms, Lakewood trailing arms, Lakewood adjustable Toe links, One-piece 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft, 1400 HP Axles. Demon Eye Halos, RapidFire Brake light LEDs, Maas Monaco rims (Custom painted for color match), Heritage Grill.
Brett64D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #34
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett64D View Post
GM Customer Service - Any ideas? I am still having this issue!
Brett64D,

My apologies that you're still experiencing the concern that others have also noted. Since we rely on our dealers for technical assistance, I wouldn't be able to offer any advice to help explain this over the forum. However, a certified GM tech would be in the best position to explore what's going on. What I can do is reach out to the dealer's customer experience manager (if you feel an official diagnosis is necessary) and let them know that you contacted us so they can further assist. Feel free to contact us privately if you want to discuss this further.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #35
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielblack60 View Post
Sorry to leave you guys hanging. I haven't been on here in a while.

A dtc p0128 usually sets with the "a/c off due to high engine temp" message. The dash lies to you and tells you your car is running too hot, when in reality p0128 is a code for the car not reaching operating temperature fast enough. Which 99% of the time is caused by a stuck upen thermostat.

The actual description for dtc p0128 is "engine coolant temperature below thermostat regulated temperature". The reason the dtc is there is because the car needs to reach operating temperature as soon as possible in order to achieve closed loop and operate more efficiently.

If you have a 160 degree thermostat in your vehicle that is a good reason for that particular code to set. Your ECM is looking for coolant temps 180-210ish depending on ambient air temperatures, and if it stays around 160, or takes a really long time to reach 180ish, p0128 will set and your dash will tell you the car is running hot so you will take it in and get the problem fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
I have not tried the ECM harness disconnect/reconnect procedure, but my scenario throws up more questions:

Mine happened right after pulling out of an area making a right and doing a very quick 1/2 second throttle burst - the car was instantly turned 90 degrees, so I believe it may have happened due to being jarred. Now the check engine light comes on with "AC shut off due to high engine temp". I check the dash engine temp and it displays "--- " for temp, center console SS gauges show good oil pressure, but no oil temp (since we don't have real oil temp sensors - it's a derived #, I believe coolant temp must be in the equation).

Now here's the odd thing..... I have Aeroforce dual pod gauges off the OBD2 port. I changed one of the 4 readouts to Engine Coolant Temp and it is working. If I unplug the sensor on the drivers side head, the Aeroforce gauge readout no longer reads out correct (some gigantic #), I plug it back in and the gauge works again - but the dash reading still reads "---". This tells me the sensor is working.

To add to the mix, 6 months ago my gas level gauge turned off on the way back from Sturgis, but could be reactivated by doing a quick Wide-open-throttle pass. Fuel pressure readings were always good - so wasn't overly concerned, except it's nice to know when you need fuel when traveling LOL. It came back about 3 more times, but each time could be rectified by a WOT pass. Went away and never happened again.

I'll post up here when I find the solution. Brian at WyoSpeed suggested check the ECM wiring also.
So thanks to Daniel.... good explaination of the P0128 code. Makes total sense. To add to all these notes: I no longer disconnect my ECM harness to clear this condition. To get my gauges back & re-enable my AC system, I simply clear the DTC code using my Aeoforce gauges and everything goes back to normal. Any code reader should be able to do this. I'm 100% sure my thermostat is perfect. I think it's just that it's looking for 190 deg thermostat response and not a 160. I'll have to dig around in the tune for possible settings - worst case, just turn off the DTC since it's really a safeguard for someone that doesn't monitor their engine. Not like your turning off an overheating warning.
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #36
Blue70SS

Here's where to turn off the P0128 DTC in EFI Live. I'll try this and see if I stop randomly loosing the gauges, along with the AC system being disabled. I'm hoping the actual DTC being triggered is what kills the gauges and AC until the code is cleared.

I know the sensors for engine coolant temp and oil temp have been working, because I can view them on my Aeroforce gauges that get data from the OBDII port.

.... notice that ECT is still monitored for "sensor performance", "sensor circuit low", and "sensor circuit high" - so it's not being left totally unmonitored.
Attached Images

LPE Brotherhood
Old 05-05-2015, 06:42 AM   #37
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymex_dallas View Post
After three generations of camaro owners I think I may trade mine in and go to ford or Toyota. This and all the problemsI've had is senseless
Toyota doesn't make a comparable car to a Camaro. Also EVERY car manufacturer has a SERVICE DEPT, so they all break down. I'll gladly deal with GM issues over Ford or Toyota issues anyday.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:21 AM   #38
Blue70SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
Here's where to turn off the P0128 DTC in EFI Live. I'll try this and see if I stop randomly loosing the gauges, along with the AC system being disabled. I'm hoping the actual DTC being triggered is what kills the gauges and AC until the code is cleared.

I know the sensors for engine coolant temp and oil temp have been working, because I can view them on my Aeroforce gauges that get data from the OBDII port.

.... notice that ECT is still monitored for "sensor performance", "sensor circuit low", and "sensor circuit high" - so it's not being left totally unmonitored.
So.... turning off the P0128 DTC in the tune does in fact make this situation go away entirely. However I do have a 160 degree thermostat that is working perfectly and I monitor it anyway, plus turning off the DTC is not going to stop "high coolant temp" from being displayed, so for me its a permanent fix. I no longer get the code that shuts down the AC and my center console gauges don't go dead now.

LPE Brotherhood
Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #39
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I've been dealing with this issue.

I changed the sensor by the driver side headers (coolant temp sensor) and the wire connector. Did not fix the issue.

Thermostat next I guess. The car regulates just fine so I'm not optimistic that the thermostat will fix the issue.

We'll see.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #40
PNYSLAR
Summit White 2012 ZL1 M6

Drives: 2010 BLACK 2SS/RS M6 Delvd 8/24/9
So I found the problem with the gauges last night. I searched on this website for any thread containing "Temperature" and found 2 or 3 of them that described my problem to the "T." The fix is as simple as removing both connectors to the EMC and reconnecting them. It instantly fixed the issue and everything works as advertised.
2012 Summit White ZL1 Manual 6sp Blk 10 spoke, "Thanks Champion Chevrolet" delivered 6/9/2012 #1588
PNYSLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:12 AM   #41
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNYSLAR View Post
So I found the problem with the gauges last night. I searched on this website for any thread containing "Temperature" and found 2 or 3 of them that described my problem to the "T." The fix is as simple as removing both connectors to the EMC and reconnecting them. It instantly fixed the issue and everything works as advertised.
Did not fix mine. I still have to change the thermostat but I'm not confident it will help.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #42
PQ
Booooosted.

I'm headed outside to swap thermostats now.

If this doesn't fix the problem I'm going to blame a politician and then shoot my cats one by one. It's not their fault but it might make me feel better.

Wish me (and the cats) luck.