Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-07-2019, 11:00 PM   #29
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Is that a typo and you're saying you don't ask you don't know the answer to? Or, are you saying your method of generating "helpful" information flow is to ask questions you already know the answer to and then post sarcastic follow ups when nobody provides input.
Because there is always someone who doesn’t know what happens when you remove a thermostat from an engine but will seem to know EVERYTHING else. I also agree this forum is not usually the audience but certain questions do generate research for people that are about to spend money needlessly with things like header wrap and spacers under a supercharger. Anyway.

So all a thermostat does is reduce the time the engine takes to reach the thermostat setting. If you have greater cooling capacity relative to heat generation, engine will maintain thermostat temp (160-170-180-195). Whatever that number is. If it doesn’t , the temp will settle at the temp it can maintain based on conditions. In very cold weather the engine may take a very long time to reach a good working temp , if ever. In hot weather, probably won’t matter much. The point is to maintain a temperature optimal for the design and build of the particular engine, for stock that is about 195-205. Regardless of mods . All things being equal, clearances tighten up with temperature increase. This is likely why some kits include a lower temp thermostat. With the anticipated power increase they would like to have a teeny bit of additional clearance on the bearings. Just a theory without having spoken to their engineers.

Bottom line, keep it at 195-205 if it’s stock. Watch oil temps if you run it hard for long periods. If you have a custom built motor, well, you guys know what to do.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #30
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
Because there is always someone who doesn’t know what happens when you remove a thermostat from an engine but will seem to know EVERYTHING else. I also agree this forum is not usually the audience but certain questions do generate research for people that are about to spend money needlessly with things like header wrap and spacers under a supercharger. Anyway.

So all a thermostat does is reduce the time the engine takes to reach the thermostat setting. If you have greater cooling capacity relative to heat generation, engine will maintain thermostat temp (160-170-180-195). Whatever that number is. If it doesn’t , the temp will settle at the temp it can maintain based on conditions. In very cold weather the engine may take a very long time to reach a good working temp , if ever. In hot weather, probably won’t matter much. The point is to maintain a temperature optimal for the design and build of the particular engine, for stock that is about 195-205. Regardless of mods . All things being equal, clearances tighten up with temperature increase. This is likely why some kits include a lower temp thermostat. With the anticipated power increase they would like to have a teeny bit of additional clearance on the bearings. Just a theory without having spoken to their engineers.

Bottom line, keep it at 195-205 if it’s stock. Watch oil temps if you run it hard for long periods. If you have a custom built motor, well, you guys know what to do.
So - to summarize, your method of helping generate useful conversation is to ask a question you know the answer to, rather than just thoughtfully provide whatever information you wish to share.

I can't say I agree with that approach - if I have something to add, I just add it. I don't have time to play games.

I completely agree with your understanding and explanation of the thermostat - it's purpose is to maintain a minimum temperature. It essentially has no bearing on cooling capacity, other than any restriction to flow it may impose - and there may be intentional restriction to maintain "optimal" flow (which is why some folks see an engine run hotter with no t-stat).

I also agree that stock t-stat is not a bad option for most folks. I prefer a lower minimum potential, so I run a 169* so that with a fan switch I can hold the car around 180* in the lanes and during my burnout. By the end of a pass I'm right around that 195-200 mark, and that's perfect IMO. With a stock T-stat I would be able to hold it around 200, and finish up around 215*F. With stock tuning the PCM is pulling ignition timing by 212*F coolant temp - I want to stay away from pulling out any timing at all.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #31
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
The tstats job is to get the motor up to operating temperature. Period, end of story.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #32
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
To answer your questions. Who? Most er’body. Why? ‘cause the super charger dude said so, my builder said so, that other guys builder said so, and common sense said so.

Some things just do not require an unnecessary MIT level explanation.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #33
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
Some things just do not require an unnecessary MIT level explanation.
Right!? We were there while the comments were in the single digits. And now, we're here.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote