Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-30-2022, 12:41 AM   #1
kevsbumblebee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
New to tuning

I have never tuned a car before and so I have some questions about tuning my 2010 Camaro 2SS 6A

1.) What happens if I unplug the tune, will my car revert to factory settings?

2.) Which tune would you guys recommend?

3.) What should I expect when getting a tune?

Mods: BBK Long Tube Headers, k&n CAI, Hollowed out cats w muffler and resonator delete.

Thanks.
kevsbumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:58 AM   #2
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
What are you trying to do? use a handheld?
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:40 AM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsbumblebee View Post
I have never tuned a car before and so I have some questions about tuning my 2010 Camaro 2SS 6A

1.) What happens if I unplug the tune, will my car revert to factory settings?

2.) Which tune would you guys recommend?

3.) What should I expect when getting a tune?

Mods: BBK Long Tube Headers, k&n CAI, Hollowed out cats w muffler and resonator delete.

Thanks.
1) Did you buy a handheld tuner? The best tune to get is one done by a reputable shop. Unlike the tunes of old, modern tunes are reprogramming the computer, so unplugging the device does not revert the computer to factory tune.

2) It’s best to go to a reputable shop and get a tune from them. However, there are many places that do mail order tunes. DynoSteve is a forum favorite here. I personally like Fasterproms.

3) Not sure if you’re driving a manual or an automatic, but an automatic will see a much more dramatic difference in the tune than a manual purely because of the transmission aspect of the tune. Either way, you should expect to see more power, throttle response, and if an automatic, MUCH improved shifting.

I hope this helps!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:03 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
1.) What happens if I unplug the tune, will my car revert to factory settings? {keeping the factory tune is part of the procedure. You can go back to it any time. Keep in mind that it’s not ‘invisible’ as some might say. If someone (dealer, etc.) really wanted to look, they can see it had been flashed.}

2.) Which tune would you guys recommend? {Really depends on what you’re looking to do. I can tell you some of the more aggressive tunes “can” lead to trans issues. If you’re stock, I’d recommend a more middle of the road tune i.e. not so aggressive.}

3.) What should I expect when getting a tune? {A little better performance, nothing too glaring but definitely firmer shifts. And something I just recently learned is, it seems like the Nannie’s (stabilitrak, traction control) have been ‘turned off’ or altered, but I was told in NO uncertain terms that nothing was changed on those two features. But your tale may vary!}

Those are my experiences.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:33 AM   #5
kevsbumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
What are you trying to do? use a handheld?
Yes. I have zero experiences with the nature of a handheld though. Which is why I am curious as to whether or not I could detune and tune at will with a handheld.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:35 AM   #6
kevsbumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
1) Did you buy a handheld tuner? The best tune to get is one done by a reputable shop. Unlike the tunes of old, modern tunes are reprogramming the computer, so unplugging the device does not revert the computer to factory tune.

2) It’s best to go to a reputable shop and get a tune from them. However, there are many places that do mail order tunes. DynoSteve is a forum favorite here. I personally like Fasterproms.

3) Not sure if you’re driving a manual or an automatic, but an automatic will see a much more dramatic difference in the tune than a manual purely because of the transmission aspect of the tune. Either way, you should expect to see more power, throttle response, and if an automatic, MUCH improved shifting.

I hope this helps!
Thank you, what I really like to know is can I tune and de-tune at will with a mail ordered handheld. Just for practicality as I wouldn't want to visit the tuning shop every time I'd want the tune taken off. Then again, these aren't practical cars but I'm just curious as I'm barely arriving to the scene.

Saw your build journal for yours, gave me a ton of ideas. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by kevsbumblebee; 07-01-2022 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:22 AM   #7
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
And why would you need to change the tune back?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:55 AM   #8
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
And why would you need to change the tune back?
Exactly what I was thinking....especially if he's doing mods.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:02 AM   #9
Moto-Mojo

Here in the Unicornish Republik , we like to flash back to stock before a semi-annual smog check. Just in case the tune altered the air-fuel mix enough to bring Gollum and other Lords of the CARB Realm down on us. One tuner said it’s not necessary and one said it might be. I kind of doubt that’s the reason in SD though.

Last edited by Moto-Mojo; 07-01-2022 at 09:39 AM.
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #10
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Here is the Unicornish Republik we like to flash back to stock before a semi-annual smog check. Just in case the tune altered the air-fuel mix enough to bring Gollum and other Lords of the Realm down on us. One tuner said it’s not necessary and one said it might be. I kind of doubt that’s the reason in SD though.
Reloading the stock tune with long tubes and not cats won't help him pass a smog check. I would guess he thinks that fuel mileage will be better with a stock tune and the modified will be a performance tune like some plug in tuners used to advertise.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:23 AM   #11
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Reloading the stock tune with long tubes and not cats won't help him pass a smog check. I would guess he thinks that fuel mileage will be better with a stock tune and the modified will be a performance tune like some plug in tuners used to advertise.
Yeah, long tubes and no cats…that’s the stuff of fantasy and legend here. Ironically, where real ‘hot rodding’ probably started. But I have to give a shout out to the Moonshiners too!
Old 07-01-2022, 03:46 PM   #12
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Yeah, long tubes and no cats…that’s the stuff of fantasy and legend here. Ironically, where real ‘hot rodding’ probably started. But I have to give a shout out to the Moonshiners too!
We still run shine....just sayin
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:40 PM   #13
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
We still run shine....just sayin
God bless Y’all!

Last edited by Moto-Mojo; 07-02-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Moto-Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:59 AM   #14
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsbumblebee View Post
Thank you, what I really like to know is can I tune and de-tune at will with a mail ordered handheld. Just for practicality as I wouldn't want to visit the tuning shop every time I'd want the tune taken off. Then again, these aren't practical cars but I'm just curious as I'm barely arriving to the scene.

Saw your build journal for yours, gave me a ton of ideas. Thanks a lot.
Once you tune it, it stays tuned. With long tube headers, if you go back to the stock tune you will throw a check engine light. If you're concerned about driveability, have them tune a "wife mode" if you have an automatic. What that is, is D mode is very similar to stock. It shifts softer like stock, but with better shift points. Then in S mode it shifts very firm, holds the gear longer with aggressive throttle usage, and is more race like shifting.

Thanks for looking through my build thread. She's definitely been a labor of love and I'm nearly where I'd call her as close to perfect as I'll get her, but it's been 9 years in the making. Best of luck and happy modding!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tune