Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-26-2022, 08:56 PM   #57
Twan

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Help me understand what it is you're asking, and I'll try to get you the right information.
I was just asking if they changed their specs on the cam and if i could run the stock converter with the ss2 because it’s basically the same specs as the old ss1
Twan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:55 PM   #58
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twan View Post
I emailed again and he said yes we change our cam specs periodically after at first he said no. He said they don’t recommend running the stock converter with the ss2 but makes no sense if it’s the same specs as the old ss1
I guess I'm living proof that you can run it with those cam specs (the new SS2) and there are plenty of guys on here with almost the same cam specs (same as the old SS1) that run it every day with the stock converter. Does that mean that you should, no but can you, yes.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:02 PM   #59
Twan

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I guess I'm living proof that you can run it with those cam specs (the new SS2) and there are plenty of guys on here with almost the same cam specs (same as the old SS1) that run it every day with the stock converter. Does that mean that you should, no but can you, yes.
It’s not a daily driver you think it would be reliable to for just being a weekend car
Old 06-26-2022, 11:08 PM   #60
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
It’s not a daily driver you think it would be reliable to for just being a weekend car
Absolutely. My tuner says it's all in the tune. But I'm no expert like the guys at GPI. I think we need acammer's opinion.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:04 AM   #61
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
I emailed again and he said yes we change our cam specs periodically after at first he said no. He said they don’t recommend running the stock converter with the ss2 but makes no sense if it’s the same specs as the old ss1
Yea, the SS1-VVT and SS2-VVT haven't changed in a while. Here are the specifications, currently, for each:
  • SS1 VVT - 219/231 .638"/.638" 112+6 1* overlap at .050" lift
  • SS2 VVT - 223/235 .638"/.638" 112+6 5* overlap at .050" lift

The SS1 VVT is designed specifically with the stock stall speed torque converter in mind, and keeps overlap low intentionally to allow for a low idle speed while still producing good vacuum. The SS2 VVT has more overlap, and needs more idle speed, and kills some intake vacuum - that combination makes for a cam that pulls harder against the stock converter while simultaneously killing off some idle speed vacuum brake assistance. The result is a car that requires more of brake pressure to hold still while in gear, overall less than desirable driveability.

We dialed the SS1-VVT back to it's current spec a few years ago to address those driveability concerns and make sure it was really the perfect option for guys that wanted near factory driveability with the stock converter. The SS2-VVT will work with the stock converter, but we recommend against that for the reasons I mentioned above. It can, and has been done, and good tuning absolutely goes a long way to making that a reality. Realistically, the SS2 VVT is probably worth 15whp over the SS1 VVT, so if you're not into doing the converter, I would say you're not really looking for "that" much performance anyways, and that makes the SS1 VVT is usually the best choice.

Let me know if you've got more questions. If you need to get a package put together for an order, drop me a line at andrew@gwatneyperformance.com and we'll get you setup with whatever you need.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #62
Twan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Yea, the SS1-VVT and SS2-VVT haven't changed in a while. Here are the specifications, currently, for each:
  • SS1 VVT - 219/231 .638"/.638" 112+6 1* overlap at .050" lift
  • SS2 VVT - 223/235 .638"/.638" 112+6 5* overlap at .050" lift

The SS1 VVT is designed specifically with the stock stall speed torque converter in mind, and keeps overlap low intentionally to allow for a low idle speed while still producing good vacuum. The SS2 VVT has more overlap, and needs more idle speed, and kills some intake vacuum - that combination makes for a cam that pulls harder against the stock converter while simultaneously killing off some idle speed vacuum brake assistance. The result is a car that requires more of brake pressure to hold still while in gear, overall less than desirable driveability.

We dialed the SS1-VVT back to it's current spec a few years ago to address those driveability concerns and make sure it was really the perfect option for guys that wanted near factory driveability with the stock converter. The SS2-VVT will work with the stock converter, but we recommend against that for the reasons I mentioned above. It can, and has been done, and good tuning absolutely goes a long way to making that a reality. Realistically, the SS2 VVT is probably worth 15whp over the SS1 VVT, so if you're not into doing the converter, I would say you're not really looking for "that" much performance anyways, and that makes the SS1 VVT is usually the best choice.

Let me know if you've got more questions. If you need to get a package put together for an order, drop me a line at andrew@gwatneyperformance.com and we'll get you setup with whatever you need.
Awesome thank you for the feedback. emailed you