Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #225
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post

I CAN see them putting the ZR1 638 hp in Z28 now and move up the ZR1 to the 700 hp LS5 5.5 L DIV8. That keeps them distinct and gives Camaro nice niche! The LS5 has been in use for some time in Vettes already in GT2 racing...(testing!!!!) so is ready for production vettes.... That would leave current 638 HP version to Camaro! Chances anyone?

Here's the scoop:

With a reported output of 440-450hp, horsepower will be increased by 10-20 over the current, standard C6’s 6.2-liter LS3. The most notable changes to the already impressive engine family includes a new combustion system, a redesigned block, new cylinder heads and finally, the long overdue direct injection system. It's expected that the 2013 C7 Corvette to be among one of the first, if not the first vehicle from “The General” to receive this advanced new powerplant. Furthermore, the replacements for the current Z06 and ZR-1 are to have increased horsepower as well, where it is rumored that the next ZR-1 could quite possibly have 700-plus-horsepower as a result of this new technology.

So how did this new engine of smaller and unusual capacity come to be? Like previously stated, it was all in part to the speed freak engineers of Corvette Racing. Initially created for the GT2 C6.R race car, the engineers started with a 7.0 liter block and de-stroked it to 5.5 liters, as opposed to the de-stroked 6.0 liters found in the GT1 C6.Rs of last season. The dubbed “LS5.R” engine develops 485hp and an “undisclosed” amount of torque. What was the reason for the smaller displacement change? The answer is simple: The Corvette team decided to switch classes from GT1 to GT2, which has a displacement cap of 5.5 liters. One of the benefits of the GT2 class is that the vehicles are more based off the production vehicle, meaning there are more restrictions, thus, the racing is more competitive. Look no further than this season’s GT2 C6.R, which borrows its body heavily off of the current production ZR-1.
When GM replaces the LS9, they won't continue building it for the Camaro. If they even make a replacement for the LS9 (lets call it the LR9) then any car that used an LS9 would get an LR9. They won't continue building the obsolete engine for one car, while using the new engine in another, at least not for longer than maybe one model year. The same goes for the LSA, LS3 and any gen IV engine.

5.5L is only one potential displacement for the new generation, and in all likelihood won't be used anywhere other than the C6.R. The rules say it can't be more than 5.5L, so GM went with the largest possible displacement. If the rules said 4L, it would be 4L. If they said 7L, it would be 7L. Displacement of the race engine has nothing to do with what GM decides to build for the mass market. My personal guess is that the full range for the gen V's will go from under 5L to above 6L, with the most common being a 5.7L, replacing the current 6.2L engines.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #226
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
agree dgDA3

So with that in mind and the comments from an engineer earlier in the year that the new Z28 would be introducing a new platform, new interior, etc... maybe they WILL be introducing the new engine in the Z28. I doubt the new platform, but possibly the Z28 would be the intro car for the new engine. With all the Mustang has been doing with the new 5.0 it seems GM might not want to intro an engine that in 1.5 - 2 yrs will be obsolete when they already have it working!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #227
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
The vette needs the new motor more than anything. And historically the vette will get it first.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #228
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
So with that in mind and the comments from an engineer earlier in the year that the new Z28 would be introducing a new platform, new interior, etc... maybe they WILL be introducing the new engine in the Z28. I doubt the new platform, but possibly the Z28 would be the intro car for the new engine. With all the Mustang has been doing with the new 5.0 it seems GM might not want to intro an engine that in 1.5 - 2 yrs will be obsolete when they already have it working!
I'm pretty sure this is the source article:
http://blogs.motortrend.com/6650713/...pha/index.html

This is the where he talks about the Z28 and Alpha
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorTrend
Stracke said [awkward ergonomics] won’t happen again. And that we’ll see hints of it starting with future models (hinting at the Z/28 again…) and when the all-new, Alpha-based (not Holden/Zeta) Camaro makes its debut
Itdidn't say the 2012 Z28 on the new platform, let alone introducing the new platform with the Z28 next year. Overexcited enthusiasts saw "Z28" and "new platform" together and connected them without thinking about it. But reading it carefully shows that the two aren't connected at all, aside from both correcting mistakes we have with the current car.

As for the Mustang, if GM wants to they could probably offer a track pack or something and outperform it. But since they're selling more Camaro's, with less incentives, I doubt they're terribly concerned about topping the GT's performance.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #229
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
More wishful thinking. I know it's a test mule but all indications suggest it's the LSA engine and current platform. And I'm perfectly ok with that.

Tags
2011 camaro z28, 2012 camaro z-28, 2012 camaro z28, 2012 z-28, 2012 z28, 2013 camaro z-28, 2013 camaro z28, 2013 z28, 2014 camaro z28, 2014 z28, camaro z28, camaro z28 forum, new camaro z-28, new camaro z28, new camaro z28 forum, new z-28, new z28, new z28 forum, z28, z28 forum, z28 spy photos, z28 spy shots, z28 spyshots