#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
ZL1 Impressions from a Ford Guy

I had the opportunity to test drive a ZL1 convertible A10 and a coupe M6 back to back today. First of all, I am very impressed with these cars. I wasn't able to really settle in on short 5 mile test drives, but I didn't want to roll up miles on cars that I wasn't sold on.

1. I was concerned that they wouldn't feel comfortable, since I'm a 25+ Mustang guy. I'm used to a more 90 degree seating position. I liked the seats. Adjustments were ample to get it right.
  2. Steering wheel was great. Controls were really well thought out.
  3. Heads up display is f'in awesome.
  4. Handling was really good in sub 55 degree temps.
  5. I wish I drove the M6 before the auto, but I didn't. The M6 was a lot more fun in the traffic conditions (slightly congested on-ramp/highway).
  6. Your sense of speed is dampened.
  7. M6 clutch is too light. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but it feels like a feather compared to my Cobra's aftermarket clutch.
I'm not sold, but I'm seriously thinking about it. The main problem is that the car didn't feel that special. The good news is that the dealership was willing to deal. The salesman said that I would be crazy to sell the Cobra to buy the Camaro and I should keep both.

Time to do some thinking.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
^ Haha.

Um, I was the opposite. One look at the Ford interior, I didn't even have to drive it. My buddy has a '16 Roush with only 3000 miles on it and it's the biggest rattle shit box I've ever rode in. Interior is complete garbage. Knobs, buttons. Cheap quality everywhere. Bought the Zl1. No hesitation.

Oh, and that observation is coming from a non loyalist. (You fked up saying you were a Ford guy). I compare cars open and honestly compared to it's own competition. My last 6 cars. '14 Zl1. '15 GTR. '16 Z06. '17 Silverado. '18 Maserati and now a '18 Zl1. If you came away with those conclusions, then you are obviously trolling. Shoot, even the Maserati interior, which we all know is a decade old is better than Ford's interior.

The Zl1 is NOT special feeling. Bwahahahahahahaha. Wtf. Now that shit was hilarious. Let me guess? The '18 Mustang GT is better in every facet right?
Old 12-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
There is only one

650 HP Convertible!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
^ Haha.

Um, I was the opposite. One look at the Ford interior, I didn't even have to drive it. My buddy has a '16 Roush with only 3000 miles on it and it's the biggest rattle shit box I've ever rode in. Interior is complete garbage. Knobs, buttons. Cheap quality everywhere. Bought the Zl1. No hesitation.

Oh, and that observation is coming from a non loyalist. (You fked up saying you were a Ford guy). I compare cars open and honestly compared to it's own competition. My last 6 cars. '14 Zl1. '15 GTR. '16 Z06. '17 Silverado. '18 Maserati and now a '18 Zl1. If you came away with those conclusions, then you are obviously trolling. Shoot, even the Maserati interior, which we all know is a decade old is better than Ford's interior.

The Zl1 is NOT special feeling. Bwahahahahahahaha. Wtf. Now that shit was hilarious. Let me guess? The '18 Mustang GT is better in every facet right?

you think? I had both. My Mustang had no rattles. I don't really see either one as being light years better than the others. They both have plastic buttons and knobs.
Attached Images

-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
kttxz06

^ Oh, well I agree. The '18 interior is straight money on the new GT. I wasn't comparing the '18. But, i guess in all fairness, if he's looking at both being new, yea, the interior quality is close. And it's not about being plastic or not. It's the feel and qualify of that feel. We all know they all use plastic. All I know is my buddy's Stang is a POS if I've ever seen one. He's jealous of my Zl1. Said, shit. I should of bought one of those. I said, you should of. Now you have to live with that shit box for the next year or so.

I'm just waiting on the Mustang fanboys to clog this thread stating.................well, the '18 GT just needs a tune and tire and we'll smoke a Zl1.

But, if you can honestly test drive a Zl1, then come out and say............It wasn't inspiring, that just has troll written all over it. I got rid of my Z06 to get the A10 Zl1. So, not sure that's...........not inspiring. OP must be used to owning 1000 hp Supra's or something.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #6
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I love the Gen6 Camaro ,but the Mustang interior is much nicer to me. Looks are so subjective though, that I dont give anyones opinion on them much stock when they are reviewing a car.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
I've only driven the GT350r and /ZL1/ZL1 1LE, but both interiors are okay.

ZL1 is MUCH better for me because I'm 6'3, which just about kills a Mustang for me.

The ZL1 is faster, feels faster and likely has better numbers on any track, yet the Mustang did have something that enthusiasts crave and that's feedback. The steering is better than ANY BMW M car (and I'm an M car fan saying that). The ZL1 feels big, but denies it with grip and power. The Mustang gets smaller and feels more nimble. I totally get why some feel the GT350r is a better enthusiast car.

With ALL of that said, there's NO WAY I'd choose the Mustang over the ZL1. Maybe because I have a Hellcat and I like a car that's got real muscle and monster in the DNA. The ZL1 has that.

But both cars are special. I can't imagine any experienced driver taking these on a back road and not agreeing that they are amazing machines.

R.
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
I had the opportunity to test drive a ZL1 convertible A10 and a coupe M6 back to back today. First of all, I am very impressed with these cars. I wasn't able to really settle in on short 5 mile test drives, but I didn't want to roll up miles on cars that I wasn't sold on.

1. I was concerned that they wouldn't feel comfortable, since I'm a 25+ Mustang guy. I'm used to a more 90 degree seating position. I liked the seats. Adjustments were ample to get it right.
  2. Steering wheel was great. Controls were really well thought out.
  3. Heads up display is f'in awesome.
  4. Handling was really good in sub 55 degree temps.
  5. I wish I drove the M6 before the auto, but I didn't. The M6 was a lot more fun in the traffic conditions (slightly congested on-ramp/highway).
  6. Your sense of speed is dampened.
  7. M6 clutch is too light. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but it feels like a feather compared to my Cobra's aftermarket clutch.
I'm not sold, but I'm seriously thinking about it. The main problem is that the car didn't feel that special. The good news is that the dealership was willing to deal. The salesman said that I would be crazy to sell the Cobra to buy the Camaro and I should keep both.

Time to do some thinking.
I don't see your post as a troll post

If you're more into 1/4 mile performance, the A10 is the way to go. The tremec is solid but the ZL1 has been suffering bogging issues screwing up their 60 ft's.
You can't beat the ZL1 for the price imo. The new GT500 is coming but the ADM is going to be stupid for a while.

Not sure if you're a fan of all stangs but I know many of the terminator owners aren't really fans of the coyote 5.0.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #9
Rlhay2

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
I don't see your post as a troll post
Neither did I.
But like many of the other model specific forums, open mindedness is rarely welcomed or appreciated.
Rlhay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #10
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I initially didn’t think his post was trolling either, but publication after publication and journalist after journalist (even those that lean towards the mustang) all consider the ZL1 special. That is where the post went from reasonable to preposterous. The ZL1, hellcat and Gt350 are all INCREDIBLY special... if you can’t feel that way, especially in an M6, then one may be trolling with 6 posts from a December join date or just crazy. This coming from someone who is patiently waiting a potential reveal of the GT500 next year before he moves from 5th to 6th gen
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #11
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
I was checking out GT350s a few months ago. The interior had a few "upscale" hints in it, but when I looked closer it was lacking a lot of the features and options associated with the 2SS/ZL-1 interiors. Suede panels and aluminum is nice, but so are some of the electronic and ergonomic options. For the price, the GT350 just didn't seem like a good buy comparatively, given what you get with the ZL-1.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #12
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
I initially didn’t think his post was trolling either, but publication after publication and journalist after journalist (even those that lean towards the mustang) all consider the ZL1 special. That is where the post went from reasonable to preposterous. The ZL1, hellcat and Gt350 are all INCREDIBLY special... if you can’t feel that way, especially in an M6, then one may be trolling with 6 posts from a December join date or just crazy. This coming from someone who is patiently waiting a potential reveal of the GT500 next year before he moves from 5th to 6th gen

Well said. You sound like a real car enthusiast. My only comment would be that the GT350 just short of being special, but the R version is a wonderful car to drive and probably the most rewarding at the wheel.

My Hellcat is rewarding at the throttle!

And the ZL1 and 1LE is the overall champ because it checks so many boxes as a sports car. I do wish it had another stock 50 HP, but that's just the kid in me talking.

R.
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #13
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I initially didn't think the thread was a troll thread either. But some things he said did stand out as odd and a bit troll(ish). For one, the whole specialness comment. I have not heard that word get used as much as it has been since MT did their little H2H. No offense to the OP, but I think anyone who uses that word don't really know what they're talking about and are just looking for a way to say a certain car is better without having to give a logical excuse. Plus all the trolls that have flooded our page all tend to use that word like it's all they know. Second thing is that he went to the dealership and they were willing to deal. Most of the Ford guys tend to say that the ZL1 is being given away with huge discounts and they aren't selling. Which is laughable. By willing to deal I'm sure they meant they would give you any discounts that were available. But if the implication was that you're gonna walk out of there with a $5K discount on top of rebates then I suspect troll. Because if they did offer you some deal, and you still walked away, then something is incredibly wrong with you. And I'm not sure a dealership will just let you test drive a brand new ZL1 unless you were serious about buying one which it seems you weren't. Another thing that stood out...you test drove one, they were willing to make a deal with you, you still are not sure about it, yet you took the time to start a membership on here and tell us all this? To what end? Are we supposed to give you some advice or sway you towards it? Because if you're not sold due to it not feeling special after all that then there is nothing any of us could say to sway you.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt, if you test drove one and they gave you a good deal or were willing to give you a deal and you still backed out then the only thing I could say is that if you do get it then you will enjoy it. It is a damn awesome car. I have the A10 BTW and I am glad I went this route. It handles like crazy. And it is fast. At any RPM and any speed if you just lightly tap the gas it'll reward you! Boost comes on superfast and stays on steady. The brakes are phenomenal...talk about stopping on a dime. And the speeds at which I can take a corner will downright scare you. it just begs you to keep going faster and faster. But I would advise you to not get it. Mainly because with a car purchase of this magnitude you have to go in being completely sure. Otherwise you'll regret your decision and resent the car. When I was texted about mine, my only questions were if it had a sunroof and if it was the A10. Once I got a yes to those questions there was no doubt in my mind that I was buying this car. If you're not on that level then I would say wait until you are or just walk away from it. Good luck!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:59 PM   #14
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I initially didn't think the thread was a troll thread either. But some things he said did stand out as odd and a bit troll(ish). For one, the whole specialness comment. I have not heard that word get used as much as it has been since MT did their little H2H. No offense to the OP, but I think anyone who uses that word don't really know what they're talking about and are just looking for a way to say a certain car is better without having to give a logical excuse. Plus all the trolls that have flooded our page all tend to use that word like it's all they know. Second thing is that he went to the dealership and they were willing to deal. Most of the Ford guys tend to say that the ZL1 is being given away with huge discounts and they aren't selling. Which is laughable. By willing to deal I'm sure they meant they would give you any discounts that were available. But if the implication was that you're gonna walk out of there with a $5K discount on top of rebates then I suspect troll. Because if they did offer you some deal, and you still walked away, then something is incredibly wrong with you. And I'm not sure a dealership will just let you test drive a brand new ZL1 unless you were serious about buying one which it seems you weren't. Another thing that stood out...you test drove one, they were willing to make a deal with you, you still are not sure about it, yet you took the time to start a membership on here and tell us all this? To what end? Are we supposed to give you some advice or sway you towards it? Because if you're not sold due to it not feeling special after all that then there is nothing any of us could say to sway you.

But giving you the benefit of the doubt, if you test drove one and they gave you a good deal or were willing to give you a deal and you still backed out then the only thing I could say is that if you do get it then you will enjoy it. It is a damn awesome car. I have the A10 BTW and I am glad I went this route. It handles like crazy. And it is fast. At any RPM and any speed if you just lightly tap the gas it'll reward you! Boost comes on superfast and stays on steady. The brakes are phenomenal...talk about stopping on a dime. And the speeds at which I can take a corner will downright scare you. it just begs you to keep going faster and faster. But I would advise you to not get it. Mainly because with a car purchase of this magnitude you have to go in being completely sure. Otherwise you'll regret your decision and resent the car. When I was texted about mine, my only questions were if it had a sunroof and if it was the A10. Once I got a yes to those questions there was no doubt in my mind that I was buying this car. If you're not on that level then I would say wait until you are or just walk away from it. Good luck!!
^ My whole point exactly. 6 posts. He prob came over from the Mustang Forum or has been hanging out here for a while trying to figure out which car he wants. I'll give him that. But, the last comment was the issue. To test drive one, then come away..........not impressed is just completely ridiculous. It's like...........being a Lambo fan boy, then hopping on the McLaren forums, saying you test drove a 520S, but you came away unimpressed because the Lambo has doors that fkn open up towards the sky. haha.

But anyhow. If he buys one, we already know he'll enjoy it and there are deals to be made, so go buy one. Mod the hell out of it and go kick some ass dude.