Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
What would void the ZL1 warranty?

I would love to put on a cold air intake and a mild to wild switch on my future ZL1. I would also love to take it to the track once in a while. As the ZL1 has factory warranty for track use - WOW (if the car is not modified - whatever the extent of that is), I wouldn't want to void it.
What do you suggest will constitute a breach of the warranty provision or better yet, what are you allowed to do before it voids it?
Thanks!
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I'm going to guess that anything that would void your current camaro's warranty would also void the ZL1's warranty. I haven't reviewed the warranty book with a fine toothed comb, but I'm willing to bet that the "track warranty" is very specific in what it does and doesn't cover. Great example, the powertrain warranty does not cover the clutch.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I'm going to guess that anything that would void your current camaro's warranty would also void the ZL1's warranty. I haven't reviewed the warranty book with a fine toothed comb, but I'm willing to bet that the "track warranty" is very specific in what it does and doesn't cover. Great example, the powertrain warranty does not cover the clutch.
this is not true from my experience. I had my Z06 clutch replaced under waranty last year 15k on the clock. The clutch was defective.

It all revolves around if it was a factory defect or abuse. read up on the magnus-moss waranty act, Don't listen to the internet too much, talk to your dealer.

Also know any major component failure will require a rep review. The tremec in my 08 C6 coupe went out with 170miles. I had cold air, borla, catback, diablo turner. brand new tranny was installed. I talked with a rep and a GM application engineer. everyone agreed it was defective sycro and with that low of miles replament was ordered.

I have never had an engine let go in a car under waranty though so I don't kow how hard they try to avoid that repair but the tranny was $4500.

there are real life in the last couple years instances though not conjecture or guessing.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Great to hear real life examples. Thanks!
I basically wanted to know if a CAI would void the warranty. The Mild to Wild shouldn't, as it's just a switch. These are the only changes I want to make. I actually just met the sales manager at the auto show today and he said adding the CAI shouldn't void the warranty. I'll try to get in in writing when I buy the car. I guess it would be very hard for anyone to prove that a 3.4% (20HP) increase in power can damage a car like this...The ZL1 looks better than in the pictures!!! 2 more weeks.......
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr.R; 02-25-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
YourBlindingBias
Banned

Drives: GT500/ZL1
People said it will be warrantied at the track, but that is just what people said.
I haven't seen anything stating it specifically would be.

I'm going to stick with a track breakage not being covered.
YourBlindingBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
this is not true from my experience. I had my Z06 clutch replaced under waranty last year 15k on the clock. The clutch was defective.

It all revolves around if it was a factory defect or abuse. read up on the magnus-moss waranty act, Don't listen to the internet too much, talk to your dealer.

Also know any major component failure will require a rep review. The tremec in my 08 C6 coupe went out with 170miles. I had cold air, borla, catback, diablo turner. brand new tranny was installed. I talked with a rep and a GM application engineer. everyone agreed it was defective sycro and with that low of miles replament was ordered.

I have never had an engine let go in a car under waranty though so I don't kow how hard they try to avoid that repair but the tranny was $4500.

there are real life in the last couple years instances though not conjecture or guessing.
I don't doubt that you got yours replaced under warranty, just saying that for the camaro it specifically says that the clutch isn't covered. Middle column on page 5.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
YellowGTO

Drives: GTO
With the clutch if it broke they will usually replace it. (Low mile car) if they pull it apart and its just super worn they will charge you.
YellowGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think a lot of what is going to be covered is going to be up to your dealer and maybe the relationship they have with the regional rep'. It's also going to depend on the mod'. I can't see something like a MTW-switch affecting much, if anything, for example. CAI - it depends on what happened. If there was a problem with the MAF/something influenced by it or something along those line, then there's probably trouble. There was a time I remember a big problem with oiled air filters contaminating MAFs and burning trannys up.

Talk to your dealer

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
JohnnyComeLately

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Wrapping it around a telephone pole will likely void your warranty.

A CAI won't even make most dealers blink. Only exception is if you forget to put the air filter in and you're trying to get a new MAF.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyComeLately View Post
Wrapping it around a telephone pole will likely void your warranty.

A CAI won't even make most dealers blink. Only exception is if you forget to put the air filter in and you're trying to get a new MAF.
Wrapping it around a pole would not have the slightest effect on the warranty. That's called an accident...

Sent while on baby duty.... please sleep
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
So many of these things are situational. It's hard to say what will and won't be covered cause it's dependant on too many factors. I had the clutch in my '00 SS replaced under warranty cause it was slipping, I'm sure my driving certainly hadn't helped the situation, but they had no way to prove otherwise. I just had minor bolt-ons for mods. Now, if I had supercharged that Camaro it would probably have been another story. But, my dealership had no problem covering it under warranty. I mean why wouldn't they? They get paid for warranty work and if there aren't any obvious signs of abuse they aren't going to have any issues getting compensated by GM.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Do you think headers would void the warranty?
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Leaving in your garage parked and driving it too slow
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #14
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Do you think headers would void the warranty?
If this is a serious question.... not TECHNICALLY but the tune that SHOULD go along with them would.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote