Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #85
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Ok In my OPINION, The Challenger was an Imitation of the Barracuda, and the Barracuda was a much better sexier car, especially the Hemi Cuda.
They all pretty much branched off the cuda. The cuda is the sexiest and I plan on turning my challenger into one .
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #86
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Lives On View Post
My bad.
no problem man I see where you couldve gotten the wrong impression
Old 08-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #87
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
I was just referring to the years 1964 to 1974.

the Barracuda was released before the Mustang

No one can make a case that the 1974 Mustang II is a real Mustang. Ya' know, unless you are trippin' balls on some good blotter.

Putting a German V6 into a stylized Pinto does not make a Mustang....A Capri maybe. But who wants a car named after a pair of girl's high-water pants?

The Mustang II is no more a real Mustang than the Vega is a real Camaro

Mustang = 1964.5 to 1973....and I'm being real generous for including the 70-73 Mustangs
Barracuda 1964 to 1974
the problem is ford used the mustang name. and that is what people remember...At one time the Monza was destined to be the Camaro like the Mustang II was a Mustang, I am glad that never happened... and guess what there were even 4 cyl camaros at one time YUK!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #88
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Okay since we are talking about the Mustang II and the mistake that Ford made with it, they did learn from their mistake. I recall sometime in the late 80's or early 90's they planned on doing a similar thing but changed their mind and just released "IT" as the Probe.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #89
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebubba View Post
I was just referring to the years 1964 to 1974.

the Barracuda was released before the Mustang

No one can make a case that the 1974 Mustang II is a real Mustang. Ya' know, unless you are trippin' balls on some good blotter.

Putting a German V6 into a stylized Pinto does not make a Mustang....A Capri maybe. But who wants a car named after a pair of girl's high-water pants?

The Mustang II is no more a real Mustang than the Vega is a real Camaro

Mustang = 1964.5 to 1973....and I'm being real generous for including the 70-73 Mustangs
Barracuda 1964 to 1974

That is just the original run...

please be open minded enough to include those things ford produces today which are somtimes reffered to as, 'Mustangs'

AHHHHHH- DEEEEEEEERH
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:09 PM   #90
dayvedayve

And since there is so much hate and venom in the air, I will let this off my chest. Dudge/Crapler pissed me off to the point of no return in the 80's when they could have built the "Interceptor". How come just about every concept they come up with gets put into production but the one car I would have bowed down to and barked like a dog to they didn't make.

For those who dont know/remember this travisty go here

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/thewraith/Turbo.html
Old 08-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #91
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvedayve View Post
And since there is so much hate and venom in the air, I will let this off my chest. Dudge/Crapler pissed me off to the point of no return in the 80's when they could have built the "Interceptor". How come just about every concept they come up with gets put into production but the one car I would have bowed down to and barked like a dog to they didn't make.

For those who dont know/remember this travisty go here

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/thewraith/Turbo.html
because most cool concepts never make it to production?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #92
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

no hate here.. If anything I have said has been perceved as Hate I am sorry. As we have all seen, Opinions about the cars we love (and don't love) are very strong and we tend to lash out sometimes without thinking when our beloved get slandered....
Old 08-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #93
dayvedayve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
because most cool concepts never make it to production?
The sad thing is that only 2 were made. One is
in PPG's headquarters because they come up with that color "Uberexpensive" and it was one of the PPG pace cars for Indy. The other is mothballed at chrysler headquarters.

However for the movie 2 skins were made an installed on corvette frames. One was crashed in the movie beyond anything. The survivor was stuck in a barn in Kansas for years. A guy "saved" it and was in the midst of making a production kit of the car using the one he had "saved" but got ye old letter of death from Chryslers lawyers.

Rant Rant Rave Rave okay I'm done. Someone get me a tylenol.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #94
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollcali87 View Post
I do like the Challenger, and yeah those side skirts could be painted but I don't know. There's something else about it that doesn't grab my attention

Oh wait I know..not enough lines. The Camaro has nicer lines on the side. I mean look at the length of the car door from top to bottom. The car is badass but doesn't have the eye-catching lines.

Now that is a great picture...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #95
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I love the styling of the Challenger. However, the interior's bland and shows no attempt at retro styling. The main complaint is, of course, the weight. I wonder how much a lightweight flywheel would cost? That may be one of my first mods in the R/T...
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #96
str8himalaya
A lot to learn!

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
I will never buy another product from chrysler/dodge ever again. Didn't even start with a muscle car, it started with a normal '99 dodge intrepid. Those crappy 2.7L they put in them were the WORST constructed engine ever made, and guess what? They didn't stand behind many of them, not even under warranty. Crap IMO. Never again will I own a chrysler product, i'd buy a HONDA first. Pretty sad.

Current Mods:
-Spectre CAI
-Straight piped
-Power Wedge
str8himalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #97
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
the problem is ford used the mustang name. and that is what people remember...At one time the Monza was destined to be the Camaro like the Mustang II was a Mustang, I am glad that never happened... and guess what there were even 4 cyl camaros at one time YUK!
They used the Pontiac 151 because it cost GM something like $500 to produce. That's materials, labor, machining,...everything.

A 4 cylinder 3rd gen Camaro didn't have to be so bad. But GM has a habit of fixing something and then killing it. They fixed the Vega's aluminum engine problems and then killed the car the next year, (Vega was the first car with a 5 year warranty) Horsepower would have been the same or better with a significant weight reduction. With a turbo, the Vega engined Camaro should have performed on par with the Mustang SVO.

But again, GM kills what it has fixed.

Vega? fixed then killed

The Fiero? Horrible initially. Gradually all problems were fixed. Killed a year before the 180 hp LG0 arrived

Cadillac HT4100? After 10 awful years, additional webbing was added to the block, cast iron heads, reinforced Head bolt mounts, 800 extra ccs...then killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvedayve View Post
Okay since we are talking about the Mustang II and the mistake that Ford made with it, they did learn from their mistake. I recall sometime in the late 80's or early 90's they planned on doing a similar thing but changed their mind and just released "IT" as the Probe.
GM planned on replacing the Camaro with what became the Beretta.
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #98
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
the round tailights of the corvette and the new camaro has the same 2 lights on each side except they are square with round edges? lol it looks like a bad version of the vette lights IMO(sorry bout that last post congo lol)

Just a little info for you

If you think the new Camaro was trying to look like a Corvette in the back just because it has 2 lights on each side, may I remind you that that was not a Corvette only styling cue. The 2 lights on each side have been on Chevy's since 1958 with the Bel-Air and Biscayne. the Corvette never had 2 lights on each side until 1961. so if anything the Corvette got it from the full sized Chevys..
Many Chevys throughout the years had two lights per side. As i said the Bel-Air and Biscayne had them from 1958 through the mid 70's except for a couple years.
The Corvair, the 65 Nova the 76 Nova, The Vega, the Cobalt Coupe the last generation of Impala and even the Camaro in 68 on the RS had 2 lights on each side. So in my opinion it is not a Corvette that they took their styling from but it is Chevy Heritage..It HAS a 60 year history. So now if you read the Official Chevrolet press release on the Camaro this car is all about Heritage with a modern touch.

oh by the way I was looking at some old car show pictures I had, and gee even Dodge had some cars with two lights on each side.. were they trying to emulate the Corvette too????

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 08-21-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote