Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #29
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemaro View Post
This may or may not help. It is straight from the manual so it has credibility.

This allows me to clarify another point on warranties. If GM didn't make something that broke, GM won't fix it. For example:
The steering wheel that you installed in your Caprice in the original post breaks. You take it to your dealer. Your dealer tells you that GM does not fix non-GM parts. You call the manufacturer of the steering wheel. They fix it.
If you install a non-GM part on your GM car, then GM is no longer responsible for that part of the car. That means that a bad install on your aftermarket exhaust is not GM's responsibility, nor is it GM's responsibility to make sure that the aftermarket exhaust passes inspections of any kind. If your aftermarket part goes bad at any time, GM has no obligation to cover it.

In addition, any aftermarket part that causes an OEM part to fail has voided the warranty on the OEM part. For example, throwing a Duramax in your Camaro but not upgrading the transmission is a risk that the transmission can't handle the new engine. When the transmission fails from this mismatch, the owner is responsible for repairs.

Does that clear this up a little more?
warn 145:159 ban
Old 03-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #30
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Cautionary Tale-Mod friendly dealers

Experience was with B5 Passats 99 to 06?
There was a SoCal VW dealer who was very mod friendly if the mods were purchased through him and installed by him (IMHO his prices were competitive). To my knowledge he never invalidated a warranty repair if it was related to anything installed by him. Passat owners from all over CA. flocked to him for engine mods, improved chips (engine and tranny), suspension mods etc. It sounded good and was, EXCEPT, other dealers didn't accept his warranty -duh. So you drive from Fresno to LA, you have your car tarted up and modded at this dealer. All,s good? Then a few weeks later you have an issue, your cars won't run and you're in Fresno. The local dealer says, " your aftermarket chip or whatever caused this failure. We'll fix it but it's on your dime". Now you have two choices, pay up or tow the car to SoCal. More than one owner faced this issue.
I'm just saying that if you mod your car, even thru a mod friendly dealer, you may need to be prepared to deal with your non mod friendly dealers (ie pay up) and have a Plan B if a major failure occurs that that local dealer will not repair under warranty.
One of my friends had an engine failure while on a road trip to Oregon. He ended up paying a small fortune to have it trailered back to SoCal (less however than the cost of an engine rebuild in Eugene). Also had rental car expense to get back home.
IMHO-If you want to keep your warranty clean. Don't mod your car, anywhere
Old 03-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #31
black 2ss/rs

Drives: Black on Black 2ss/rs
right from chevys website

What Is Not Covered All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium-duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details, refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

An Important Note about Alterations and Warranties Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle (or chassis) as distributed by General Motors are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems, or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.

To summarize, missuse and alterations voids the warranty. Also; non GM calibrations voids the warranty. GM aftermarket parts installed by an authorized dealer voids GM's warranty related to whatever they install. Missuse is a broad term but may include using your launch TCS feature, racing, no lift shifts, anything really. So if you add/replace anything that would increase preformance 99% the dealership will take note and deny your claim.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #32
sparaz
867-5309

Drives: 2010 CMG RS & 86 black Z28 3rd gen
There was an example in OP about racing voiding the warranty. Is that to say that if someone tested their max speed on a closed track once or twice that they would void a warranty as well? I read the part about sustained over limit speeds, but if so that would seem ridiculous to me.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #33
youngoliver

Drives: 2SS/RS SIM -- Lifted 99' GMC
Is putting Eibach lowering springs on going to void my warranty in any way? If yes please explain...
thank you
Old 03-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #34
jpf1087

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS CGM
Can GM dealers reprogram the chip to allow free range shifting? The 1-4th shift thing is killing me when i'm only going up to 25-30mph and staying there. I found that accelerating harder makes it not come up but I'd rather get rid of it. Would this cause warranty issues as well?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #35
Orange ss crush
Its all in the paint

Drives: 2010 IOM SS2 Black Stripes
I had taken my 2010 SS2 M6 in due to I heard a bolt hit the passanger floor board - Then the gear shift started shaking histerically - Well they said tha u joint went bad - fixed it - picked it up four days later gear lube all over garage fixed seal took it out Tuesday and boom same senerio now they say they are waiting for approval from GM plus alot of silent treatment. Any thoughts?

SS2/ Sunroof/20" polished rims
IOM with black stripe - IOM interior

Order Placed 5/20/09
sitting at 1100
Old 06-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #36
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange ss crush View Post
I had taken my 2010 SS2 M6 in due to I heard a bolt hit the passanger floor board - Then the gear shift started shaking histerically - Well they said tha u joint went bad - fixed it - picked it up four days later gear lube all over garage fixed seal took it out Tuesday and boom same senerio now they say they are waiting for approval from GM plus alot of silent treatment. Any thoughts?
Show up. Demand answers from the service manager. If there aren't any answers, have them call GM in front of you. I hope you get something done!
warn 145:159 ban
Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #37
wangtangjf7

Drives: CGM LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
Absolutely Untrue....

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

Thanks SEMA we love ya man...

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...#ixzz0cuElkzZZ

My dealer replaced My tranny after Supercharger installed LT headers, flow thru cats, Corsa exhaust, RIP shift short throw shifter, Hennesy CAI and Tune... They even did all the installs!

Also replaced a friends Tranny twice who had same setup as mine...He blew second gear twice from miss shifting and they repaired it with new tranny twice.

In summary if they can prove the mods actually caused the failure than your out of luck. My dealer didn't even blink. Just fixed and quickly !
wow. i needa check out your dealership. I just purchased a cold air intake and this thread has me second guessing it because if something does happen, i know i know have the money to get lawyers and yada yada. Would be nice if i could find a dealership like that.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #38
JasonK

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Dang. Well maybe after reading this, I have 6 years to collect performance parts, then when my Warr. is over I can install them???
Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 AM   #39
BA-Jackpot

Drives: 2 SS Camaro white/ Orange stripes
It dosn't matter if you have it in writing or not. If you get a product from GM or GE. The warranty is a gimmic to get your money. The dealers ( and companies) for the most part, will try everything they can to get out of helping you.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #40
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngoliver View Post
Is putting Eibach lowering springs on going to void my warranty in any way? If yes please explain...
thank you
It will likely void your chassis warranty.

Reason? The car was designed, engineered, tested and manufactured with a certain suspension setting. If you modify it, you are giving up your warranty.

What everyone seems to be missing is MM and all of this other discussion only says the manufacturer has to honor THEIR STATED WARRANTY. It does not give you any more warranty coverage than what the manufacturer states................and GM clearly states if you modify the parts your warranty is voided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparaz View Post
There was an example in OP about racing voiding the warranty. Is that to say that if someone tested their max speed on a closed track once or twice that they would void a warranty as well? I read the part about sustained over limit speeds, but if so that would seem ridiculous to me.
There was a highly publicized case several years ago of another OEM hanging out at race tracks and collecting VINs. GM has to my knowledge been very understanding in this regard. Now if you bring your Camaro in with racing slicks and a roll bar you might be out of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange ss crush View Post
If your dealer is not helping you, please call GM Customer Service at 1-866-509-9090. If you aren't satisfied, PM me with the SR (Service Request) Number and I will use our internal escalation process.

Keep in mind folks, your dealer has to get most approvals from GM in order to do warranty work done. For powertrain warranty, first step is to submit the cal file to GM for review in order to get approval.

And in every case, the dealer has to return the parts to GM for inspection. This is for two reasons, to make sure dealers are replacing bad parts and for GM engineers to be able to review the parts to root cause the issue in order to improve future cars.

And for everyone with examples of having a supercharger and GM paying for the warranty? First question is did the dealer do the install? If so, like GTA and his Tom Henry car, he has a warranty with Tom Henry, not GM or anyother dealer. But GM will also do "good will" repairs. And I believe for the Camaro transmissions this was done...........regardless of modifications. Refer to the transmission threads here on C5.

If you get a lawyer, be prepared to go up against a lot of GM engineering data. GM knows the limits of the powertrain. They've tested to find those limits. And when your mod exceeds those limits you'll have a hard time in court. But that's just an engineers opinion. A lawyer charging you by the hour probably has another.

I'm still waiting to see evidence of a case where someone popped a SC on or re-calibrated the ECU and went to court to have the warranty restated. I haven't seen one yet.................but we keep talking about it in threads like this like it could actually happen.

The stated warranty is pretty clear, and I can assure you GM has no desire to refuse your warranty repair. But keep in mind if you modify, then all bets are off and no one should be bad mouthing GM or any other OEM.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #41
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
It will likely void your chassis warranty.

Reason? The car was designed, engineered, tested and manufactured with a certain suspension setting. If you modify it, you are giving up your warranty.

What everyone seems to be missing is MM and all of this other discussion only says the manufacturer has to honor THEIR STATED WARRANTY. It does not give you any more warranty coverage than what the manufacturer states................and GM clearly states if you modify the parts your warranty is voided.

There was a highly publicized case several years ago of another OEM hanging out at race tracks and collecting VINs. GM has to my knowledge been very understanding in this regard. Now if you bring your Camaro in with racing slicks and a roll bar you might be out of luck.

If your dealer is not helping you, please call GM Customer Service at 1-866-509-9090. If you aren't satisfied, PM me with the SR (Service Request) Number and I will use our internal escalation process.

Keep in mind folks, your dealer has to get most approvals from GM in order to do warranty work done. For powertrain warranty, first step is to submit the cal file to GM for review in order to get approval.

And in every case, the dealer has to return the parts to GM for inspection. This is for two reasons, to make sure dealers are replacing bad parts and for GM engineers to be able to review the parts to root cause the issue in order to improve future cars.

And for everyone with examples of having a supercharger and GM paying for the warranty? First question is did the dealer do the install? If so, like GTA and his Tom Henry car, he has a warranty with Tom Henry, not GM or anyother dealer. But GM will also do "good will" repairs. And I believe for the Camaro transmissions this was done...........regardless of modifications. Refer to the transmission threads here on C5.

If you get a lawyer, be prepared to go up against a lot of GM engineering data. GM knows the limits of the powertrain. They've tested to find those limits. And when your mod exceeds those limits you'll have a hard time in court. But that's just an engineers opinion. A lawyer charging you by the hour probably has another.

I'm still waiting to see evidence of a case where someone popped a SC on or re-calibrated the ECU and went to court to have the warranty restated. I haven't seen one yet.................but we keep talking about it in threads like this like it could actually happen.

The stated warranty is pretty clear, and I can assure you GM has no desire to refuse your warranty repair. But keep in mind if you modify, then all bets are off and no one should be bad mouthing GM or any other OEM.
Number 3,

I see all your points and understand. My question to you is concerning the transmission. My car vin 18261 was pre-ordered and is before the rear sensors in which several people had the transmissions break.

I have not used launch control becuase I am afraid of it breaking. I would like to do it just once just to see what it does.

I have modded my car with headers, cai, hf cats, dyno tune, cam swap underdrive pulley and they changed the oil pump to a high volume melling.

If I use launch control or for some other reason my tranny breaks, in you ropinion would it be covered even though I modded it since GM know there was a problem?

My car is pushing 450rwhp. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #42
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparaz View Post
The ONLY time I have ever heard of this happening with a GM car was many years ago a guy showed up at the dealer with a busted tranny in his WS6 trans am. The dealer looked underneath and found enough rubber in the wheelwells to peel it out and make new tires. They denied it and the guy posted the receipt from the dealer online and complained... he got no support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf1087 View Post
Can GM dealers reprogram the chip to allow free range shifting? The 1-4th shift thing is killing me when i'm only going up to 25-30mph and staying there. I found that accelerating harder makes it not come up but I'd rather get rid of it. Would this cause warranty issues as well?
No they will NEVER reprogram the computer to bypass any original controls or anything else. This is easily remedied by a skip shift eliminator sold by any number of forum vendors, it plugs in and is easily removable for warranty work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black 2ss/rs View Post
right from chevys website

What Is Not Covered All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium-duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details, refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

An Important Note about Alterations and Warranties Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle (or chassis) as distributed by General Motors are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems, or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.

To summarize, missuse and alterations voids the warranty. Also; non GM calibrations voids the warranty. GM aftermarket parts installed by an authorized dealer voids GM's warranty related to whatever they install. Missuse is a broad term but may include using your launch TCS feature, racing, no lift shifts, anything really. So if you add/replace anything that would increase preformance 99% the dealership will take note and deny your claim.
Using launch control or any factory included features will not void your warranty. As well unless you give them a reason (You come in with rubber in your wheelwells, numbers on the side of the car, a rollbar installed with a logbook in the glovebox, etc) they would never know you were racing.

In the end look at this from their side. If you sold a product and someone modified it and it broke DUE TO that modification would YOU be willing to fix it free for them? I know I would tell them to go pound sand as I made the product to work one way and they decided to use it another. It doesn't mean if you change the intake your exhaust warranty is gone, but if you change the intake and the IAT sensor goes, the intake has a direct effect, sorry.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin

Closed Thread

Tags
ftc, law, void warranty, warranty