Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #43
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Only warranty that would cover it would be a certified pre-owned type but not sure if that's how your purchased the car or not. Anything bought used in 2013 is going to be long out of warranty though so again, doesn't matter.

JB's ZL1 is correct.

There's no reason for GM to deal with you to be brutally honest. All they're obligated to do is give you retail pricing on an LSA and show you the door. If they do anything more, they're being nice. You may find a dealer that will try to help you out. Otherwise, that's a healthy $9,000+ bill. Or you can take this opportunity to get a more serious engine built and open the door to aftermarket mods. I'm not sure what you're after in this car, you left it stock for 46,000 miles so it appears you're not really interested in big HP or builds? If you want stock HP or up to about 750 RWHP (Heads/Cam/FBO) then just get a new LSA. Anything more than that, and just take the opportunity to get a forged bottom end, sleeved engine with a serious power adder like a big PD blower, ProCharger or similar Centrifugal blower, or Turbos etc.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #44
zman1969

Drives: 1969 R/S Z28 302 m20 Endura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Why should GM stand behind it?

Firstly, it's a year out of warranty.

Secondly, the most common cause of thrown rods is lack of oil...not a manufacturing defect.

We have no idea when the ecu was replaced. Maybe in it's first month's of existence. Maybe it was replaced by GM...maybe not. Maybe it was replaced to hide mods...maybe not.

At the end of the day a thrown rod in an unmodded LSA is a huge red flag...it's just not common in an otherwise very stout engine.
warranty is 5 years or 100K being this is under 100k they can concede on the time to be customer friendly I see this all the time, I help manage a fleet of over 5,000 GM vehicles
I believe GM should at least be able to show owner at what point this happened. was it on PO? I know there are 2 sides to every situation
I doubt ECM was replaced by dealer or it wouldn't be an issue, but if they're denying a $12,000 claim, they need to show owner when this happened. I have asked Kittt some questions via PM and haven't gotten a reply yet.

I have no dog in this hunt just trying to make sure the customer is treated fairly
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #45
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1969 View Post
warranty is 5 years or 100K being this is under 100k they can concede on the time to be customer friendly I see this all the time, I help manage a fleet of over 5,000 GM vehicles
I believe GM should at least be able to show owner at what point this happened. was it on PO? I know there are 2 sides to every situation
I doubt ECM was replaced by dealer or it wouldn't be an issue, but if they're denying a $12,000 claim, they need to show owner when this happened. I have asked Kittt some questions via PM and haven't gotten a reply yet.

I have no dog in this hunt just trying to make sure the customer is treated fairly
1: warranty is 5 years or 100K whichever comes first.
2: if they're denying a $12,000 claim, they need to show owner when this happened. No they do not. Why? If GM did not replace the ecu, why is it incumbent upon them to investigate the matter?

I have no dog in this fight either. You make some arguments, but fail to mention the underlying issue: a thrown rod. As I stated, this is a huge red flag and is usually caused by a lack of oil. This is such an anomaly in an LSA, that I can see why GM would want to wash their hands of it if the OP gets pushy, demanding or accusatory.

Being a thrown rod, replaced ecu and out of warranty, (these are three critical issues) GM has no duty to defend, investigate or warrant.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #46
JB'sZL1

Also...

You state "they're denying a $12,000 claim" but it is an entirely invalid claim as it is 12 months out of warranty. I am certain replacing the ecu could void the warranty as well, unless done through GM.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #47
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Also...

You state "they're denying a $12,000 claim" but it is an entirely invalid claim as it is 12 months out of warranty. I am certain replacing the ecu could void the warranty as well, unless done through GM.

I think the point has gotten lost here. There is no conclusive evidence been presented that the ECU has been in fact replaced, only speculation that the dealer see's no file. And nobody even knows how legit that comment is. Because the car was running so some file exist.

If the OP is factual in his ownership experience, it would not be out of the question for GM to possibly assist in financial cost for replacement, not free but subsidy. I have had Ford and GM do it countless times when they feel normal operation has been followed and a catastrophic failure has occurred just outside the warranty period. Yes its outside 5 years, but well below the 100,000 it was expected to serve inside of 5 years.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #48
JB'sZL1

I agree that as there is only 46k on it is not out of the realm for GM to possibly help subsidize...if they so choose.

I am just saying they are under no obligation as:
1: it is a year out of warranty;
2: there is a thrown rod (which is a red flag); and,
3: an altered ecu is problematic for the manufacturer (cannot diagnose or see any history)...and the op is less than forthright about the history of that altered ecu...perhaps through no fault of his own (but he has owned the vehicle for the past 5 years and five months). Hmmm.

Yes. I would plead my mightiest with GM for some assistance.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #49
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Just build a badass 418 with a whipple or heartbeat and be done with it for roughly the same money.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #50
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Just wondering here.....

As far out as it sounds, is there any chance that 'something' happen (can't imagine what) that would disrupt/erase (for lack of better word) the ECU which in turn could cause the engine to over-rev throwing a rod ???
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:13 AM   #51
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Just wondering here.....

As far out as it sounds, is there any chance that 'something' happen (can't imagine what) that would disrupt/erase (for lack of better word) the ECU which in turn could cause the engine to over-rev throwing a rod ???
EMP, nuclear strike..
Old 05-31-2018, 01:03 PM   #52
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
EMP, nuclear strike..
Or Potter driving his car close enough to shake the heck out of the ecu?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:23 PM   #53
ZMEnow

Quote:
Or Potter driving his car close enough to shake the heck out of the ecu?

Yep that might do it too.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #54
kittt

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Just wondering here.....

I asked the service manager the same thing and he said nope. Someone must have switched out my ECU between the time I left it locked in the first auto repair shop on the Navy base and the time the dealership looked at it. That still doesn't make sense because apparently the one that is in there is a stock ECU that has never been used and I have no clue why anyone would do that or how they could possibly benefit. Anyway, I knew it was a long shot to ask GM to help me and they have declined to do so. I appreciate all your input and suggestions and wish you the best of luck with your cars. I would recommend getting extended warranties if that's an option for you!
kittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #55
zman1969

Drives: 1969 R/S Z28 302 m20 Endura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittt View Post
I would recommend getting extended warranties if that's an option for you!
I would caution that I had a short stint working at a warranty company - I hated it they will deny all they can when they can, read the fine print is a MUST there are alot of "Exclusions" like exhaust systems are completely excluded! nuts, bolts, fasteners is another that comes to mind. there are some good ones but buyer beware!

Kittt sorry about the outcome guess its time to Make the ZL1 great again
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #56
JB'sZL1

Well, I'd see it as an opportunity. Rebuild the LSA, or go full blown and get the aforementioned 416.