Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
PIC

Drives: 2005 YJM6 GTO
Performance Industries FI/HHP Cats Project

Hi guys, my name is Curtis. Some of you may know me from the "check your cats..." thread, but I figured I would start a new thread so everyone can see whats going down right now.

I am a major muscle car/performance enthusiast so I float around on a bunch of different forums. After a while, I started seeing a bunch of threads coming up about cats failing and detonating on force inducted applications and even NA applications. I can't even begin to count how many complaints I've seen about Kooks, SLP, SW and Dynatech's supposed "hi-flow" cats. The pictures I've seen are horrendous. After about a 5 minute talk with our owner, he told me to begin the design phase of a cat that will hold up to forced induction and high horsepower applications.....so here I am.

My first question is, is there anybody that would be interested in purchasing FI/HHP cats? If there is a big enough demand for them, than we may even be able to change the way other companies go about making their cats, sort of revolutionize the industry almost.

I have a meeting next Wednesday with our owner and our investors to discuss the matter. So what I need from you guys is a yes/no answer and why FI/HHP cats would be a welcome thing in the high performance auto world. All of your comments will be directed towards our owner and investors so please be as descriptive as you can when answering.

If there is enough interest in these type of cats than we will be able to start producing them and making them for whomever wants them. We can make any diameter opening that you need to be put onto your pipes.

Thanks for reading guys, I look forward to your responses!

Last edited by PIC; 02-26-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I'm not high enough to need FI cats, but
Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I'm not high enough to need FI cats, but
They'll really be for any power level, just designed mainly for FI/HHP cars. If theyre successful than theyll probably replace our current models.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Well how high of a HP are we talking about that theses cats can take with out suffering performance. What makes this better or the same than No cats at all?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
Well how high are a HP are we talking about that theses cats can take with out suffering performance. What makes this better or the same than No cats at all?
Unfortunately I wont be able to give you any performance numbers until we run dyno tests, we are still in the design phase right now. A good high flowing cat with the right cell density and coating will only lose about 3-4 horsepower over an uncatted system. This is mainly for guys that want to remain legal and still have high performance. In Texas alot of counties require emissions testing which requires you to have cats on your car, so anybody living in counties around the country that require emissions testing would get a great benefit out of new FI/HHP cats.

Our goal is to make a cat that will last the life of the vehicle, have a decreased impact on overall performance and will stand up to FI/HHP applications. Cats right now are outdated, the same design has been used for years, its time for something new.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
This week, we're taking my bolt-on build to the next level with a ProCharger D1.

I currently have JBA Shorties and High-Flow catted midpipes which I will use with the D1.

I have talked with JBA and expect that my current high-flows should be fine for the HP level I'm expecting (600-630).

I plan on hitting the track hard with the new setup, so I will definitely be putting the cats to the test. It's also a daily driver.

If they fail, I have some JBA catless midpipes as backup (or maybe for track days too).

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this thread, because I would be interested to see your setup and results in case I'm in the market someday.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Old 01-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
blackonblacksls

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
I am interested. I have cats on my car. Not because of emissions. But because, of the reduced noise with them installed.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
This week, we're taking my bolt-on build to the next level with a ProCharger D1.

I currently have JBA Shorties and High-Flow catted midpipes which I will use with the D1.

I have talked with JBA and expect that my current high-flows should be fine for the HP level I'm expecting (600-630).

I plan on hitting the track hard with the new setup, so I will definitely be putting the cats to the test. It's also a daily driver.

If they fail, I have some JBA catless midpipes as backup (or maybe for track days too).

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this thread, because I would be interested to see your setup and results in case I'm in the market someday.

Padre
We supply the substrates for the company that supplies JBA, so you have our current core design on there now! lol

Last edited by PIC; 02-26-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Drives: 10 SS
I've been running bolt ons with exhaust setup. And the car is holding fine, but until I part with the 4th gen I won't be going force fed. But when it does I will be highly interested in getting a set
Old 01-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblacksls View Post
I am interested. I have cats on my car. Not because of emissions. But because, of the reduced noise with them installed.
Ok cool, good deal.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen427CI View Post
I've been running bolt ons with exhaust setup. And the car is holding fine, but until I part with the 4th gen I won't be going force fed. But when it does I will be highly interested in getting a set
Awesome man, what brand of headers you running?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:
Originally Posted by PI_CATALYTIC View Post
We supply the company that supplies JBA, so you have our current design on there now! lol
Ha! That's good to know.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
PIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Ha! That's good to know.

Padre
IF anything happens to the cats during your build process, could you send them back to us? Then we could analyze them and take them apart to see where the failures are happening. One bad thing about the performance exhaust side of things is that we never hear anything from any of our customers about failures and stuff, so we don't really ever know how our product is working out, so the more feedback I get this way, the better feedback I can give to my boss and the better product we can give back to you guys.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
nyny69

Drives: 2010 IOM SS
Yes I am interested. I think it's win win for your company.

Let's say my car is stock and I'm about to start modding with every intention of going FI eventually. With my current knowledge of the high flow failures I'd probably forgo the purchase of high flows with my lt's purchase. With the new design I wouldn't have a 2nd thought.

Another example is if I'm shopping around and Company A uses the new design and Company B is still on the old which do you think more customers will purchase. This means more sales for your vendors which in turn equals more business for your company.

That's my sales pitch on it.

And let's not forget the smell and emissions part of it

Closed Thread