Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #351
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Dyno testing went well I suppose... The Cold Rush intake is showing appx. the same gains as it has in the past on a different dyno, so that's a plus. The "cold runs vs hot runs" really showed some surprising results. The "competitor's" intake managed to stay within 3 hp of it's hot and cold runs while the stock intake lost 7hp from the repeatable cold numbers to repeatable hot numbers, and the JF Cold Rush lost 9hp from the repeatable cold to hot runs...

Defining cold/hot: A new intake was put on cold. The car was started, and with the radiator fans hot wired on via the fan trick, the CLT was allowed to stabilize at it's lowest point with the hood open. Typically the CLT would get down to 199 before the runs were started with the exception of the last run which was the JF intake was started at 203 because it wasn't getting any colder, at the time the CLT was deemed at it's lowest point, the fans were turned off and the hood closed for the runs... For the "hot" runs, the hood was left closed after 3-5 "cold" runs (after a repeatable number was run), and the car idled for appx 5 minutes, when the "hot runs" were started the CLT was always about 216 +- 1-2 deg, then the car was run again until a repeatable "hot" number was run...

Unfortunately, I don't have the dyno sheets as the printer was not working as per my usual luck when I go to dyno something :( I'm currently waiting for the run files to be emailed to me, but im sure it won't be until Monday at the earliest now as I haven't received them yet. I do have all of the run numbers written down, just no curves.

Keep in mind, not only am I on a different dyno, but I've also added high flow cats, and a ported TB since my last time on the dyno, so the numbers won't really coincide with older numbers exactly since they are higher.

Stock intake runs
"Cold": 388 HP 395.3 TQ
"Hot": 381 HP 397.1 TQ

Brand X intake runs
"Cold": 392 HP 403.6 TQ
"Hot": 388 HP 399.8 TQ

JF Cold Rush Runs
"Cold": 409.0 HP 407.1 TQ
"Hot": 400.3 HP 413.4 TQ

Needless to say, it was interesting. I expected more of Brand X, but I find it hard to believe that the dyno, or the testing was being run improperly as I've tested my intake 3 times now, on 2 different dynos, with 3 different operators, and my outcome over stock has been about the same each time. This was the first and only time I have, or plan to run Brand X on the Dyno.

A note on these numbers, posted... Typically I will junk the high and low numbers, although in this instance the Cold Rush instance was a repeatable number so I kept it, the Brand X cold run "repeatable" number is less than shown, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt with it's highest run as I thought it would be more... "Hot" run numbers shows the highest run from two runs that were within 0.8hp of each other.

I will edit this once I have dyno charts to post.
Nice numbers Jason! The cool thing is that even the hot numbers of the Cold Rush beat the cold numbers of brand X! My only concern is that there may be a bit of heat soak more so on the Cold Rush than Brand X! Jason, can you elaborate?

edit: I just noticed that the torque actually went UP in the hot run! Interesting!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #352
Nmm741

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Nmm741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #353
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
Whatever "brand x" was... doesnt jive with the big JRE test I think... for scientific reasons, one may try to repeat the test on another car, and see if results can be duplicated.
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #354
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-man View Post
Whatever "brand x" was... doesnt jive with the big JRE test I think... for scientific reasons, one may try to repeat the test on another car, and see if results can be duplicated.
If you watched the JRE test live and then read what Jason did I think he went out of his way to make the comparisons accurate. His results being different isn't any different than others that have tested brands A, B C, etc. found them not to be inline with that test. You can only do so much.

I know he has someone else lined up that is going dyno this intake versus another brand. If I understood correctly this will be brand "T" tuned versus Cold Rush tuned. Now this will be a much more telling comparison since each will be optimized.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #355
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
If you watched the JRE test live and then read what Jason did I think he went out of his way to make the comparisons accurate. His results being different isn't any different than others that have tested brands A, B C, etc. found them not to be inline with that test. You can only do so much.

I know he has someone else lined up that is going dyno this intake versus another brand. If I understood correctly this will be brand "T" tuned versus Cold Rush tuned. Now this will be a much more telling comparison since each will be optimized.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #356
Fish-man

Quote:
Didn't know JRE did a live test that we could watch... I think the most of the testing was done before i was on this site though... and no, have not seen many others that found results not inline with JRE (got links, as I'd be interested). I do know the assumed 'brand X' has a good rep here.

Quote:

That part will be interesting as well!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #357
IndeedSS1

Quote:
I do know the assumed 'brand X' has a good rep here.
You are correct about that.

What has always been odd to me is that many will buy one intake, state it as the best, and never test it or anything else. Then there are others that find the need to actually look for better, even if it means making their own or in my case made a hybrid out of things I liked from 3 different systems. I really liked my hybrid but also found Vararam to be my favorite.

With that said, I no longer have a horse in this race. However I stayed subscribed because Jason's motivation and hard work to make a better intake and bring it to the masses is interesting to me.

She is only memory now.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #358
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
While this may be completely coincidence, historically if you search back through what testing has been done (You will have to do some serious digging, as I have done in the past), I can recall several times where Brand X has been compared to Brand Y, or Brand Z, and Brand X has either gone home in the trunk of the car, or ended up in the trash can. Is it due to a cheap marketing scheme? Brand Z just wanting to make Brand X look bad? Hard to say, but I have never seen another test (intake vs intake) jive with the JRE test.

Why is this? Well, to my knowledge, no one else that has done this test can provide 60 mph winds at the front end of the car as JRE can... An intake comparison test w/ 60 mph winds vs a box fan on the front of the car will most likely show very different numbers. The big problem with some of the testing which has been mentioned time and time again by a few people is that while you're doing your daily driving sitting at a stop light, there are no 60 mph winds blowing on the front of your car while you're stopped and it's heating up... Hence it's a completely different test all together. The numbers will probably never jive, as Brand Y and Brand Z have shown... That is, IF Brand Y and Brand Z are stand up guys and would admit that they were producing an inferior product compared to Brand X.... Have I lost you yet?

This was my first time running Brand X on the dyno, but not the first time on the street, or at the drag strip. I was honestly hoping for a larger gain to be shown here from Brand X, although when I've run it at the strip, I have typically seen very similar trap speeds to sock (usually within 1mph or less), so I should have figured as such would be shown.

So back to the most recent test... The numbers the dyno operator wrote down on paper were all mixed up, some were standard correction numbers, some were SAE, and some HP numbers were even transposed from the TQ numbers... I finally received the dyno run files and was able to look at them myself and make sure everything was right. Please disregard the previous numbers, and for those just catching up, I have already gone back and erased the previously posted numbers. All numbers shown in the following dyno graph are SAE corrected.

Runs #1 and #2 are the JF Cold Rush "Cold runs" then "Hot Runs", runs #3 and #4 are Brand X "Cold" then "Hot", and runs #5 and #6 are the stock airbox with stock filter "Cold" then "Hot"... 22 dyno pulls were made total, and these numbers shown were repeatable within 1hp or less both hot and cold.

So getting back to 60 mph winds vs a Box fan at the front of the car... I've done this 3 times, 2 different dynos, 3 different operators, I'm seeing appx. the same gains when comparing the JF Cold Rush vs Stock, untuned, regardless of which design revision I have tried... With a box fan. This test was run on 92 Oct E10 fuel out of the pump. The JF Cold Rush box tested this time was tested with Reflectix insulation available at Lowe's as the new mold for the silicone insulation was not finished yet for the larger airbox, which may have something to do with the heat soak difference, however, it's the first time I've tested "cold" vs "hot", and as I've always said, you can't escape the heat. So the results may be the same even with silicone box insulation... When the intake tubes were removed, the Cold Rush silicone intake tube was just warm to the touch both inside and out, where was Brand X was burning hot as has been previously mentioned by several people in the past during daily driving.

I guess the next step is to get the "production" Cold Rush intake to the Name That Intake! contest winner so it can be tested against Brand T(uned) vs Cold Rush tuned (if that's still a go)... Current time frame, is unknown but getting closer; the new box insulation mold for the larger air box is still being worked on, as is the "No-Tune" maf piece. The "Tune" maf piece mold has not even been started on and I'm still waiting for the prototype to be finished.

Thoughts?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #359
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Just using common sense here and just for conversation: I would just believe that if all variables except the intake are kept the same, it shouldn't matter. Yes you may get better numbers across the board with one "wind machine", but the differences between the intakes "should be the same"(numbers wise), using simple math.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #360
IndeedSS1

Jason, I think you've made it as fair as possible. It all looks good and I wouldn't spend anymore time or money doing comparisons. However I do hope the comparison between tuned Cold Rush and tuned brand T happens.

She is only memory now.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #361
Fish-man

Cool. I'll be waiting for it... probably a Christmas present for myself at this point
What is the theory on the tune version? Bigger maf housing?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #362
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Pretty much correct. Because it will be tuned, you aren't limited by meeting the stock tune fueling requirements. With that said, tuning the no tune version should pick up a few more HP, which is what I'm so interested to see.

She is only memory now.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #363
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Special Edition
Nice looking CAI , good on the numbers also
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #364
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Cool. I'll be waiting for it... probably a Christmas present for myself at this point
The MAF housing for the "tune" version of the intake will go on the outside of the silicone tube, which would allow for a true 4" ID intake tube with no "neck down" like the "no tune" maf piece... I think I am finally to the point where I am willing to tune my car, so I will probably test out the first prototype on my car when it is ready... I just have to figure out who and/or how I will tune it. There is no one local.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, dyno, intake, jacfab, velocity