Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
legacy

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
steering wheel vibration when turning

My SS seems to have a strange repetitive vibration/shaking through the steering wheel (I notice the frequency varies with speed) when taking tight corners harder than normal. Not very confidence inspiring...On straights / leisurely driving, its fine.

Anyone else have this issue before? car has 5K miles on it.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Might be as simple as a wheel being slightly out of balance, or a tire wearing slightly unevenly.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy View Post
My SS seems to have a strange repetitive vibration/shaking through the steering wheel (I notice the frequency varies with speed) when taking tight corners harder than normal. Not very confidence inspiring...On straights / leisurely driving, its fine.

Greetings legacy,

Sorry to hear about the vibration concerns. I know that must be occasionally displeasing for you. Let me know if you might need to make a dealership visit for this issue. I'd be happy to stay on top of that process for you. Feel free to message us anytime.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Greetings legacy,

Sorry to hear about the vibration concerns. I know that must be occasionally displeasing for you. Let me know if you might need to make a dealership visit for this issue. I'd be happy to stay on top of that process for you. Feel free to message us anytime.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Quote:

I have had the same issue in my automatic SS camaro since it was new.. I have had dealer look it over twice and they cant find anything..
when I take turns hard I can feel a vibration or like tapping in steering wheel.. dealer cant reproduce since they said they are not allowed to drive customers cars hard but they said they check everything they could think of and the bolts and found nothing wrong but i agree it does make me nervous when taking turn a lil quick..
Im afraid tire fall off or steering rod break car goes into the wall and GM wont cover saying not their fault.
but like my sticking clutch issue on my manual camaro Chevy said they cant reproduce since they wont floor and shift car so they gave me the big FU.. LoL
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
I have had the same issue in my automatic SS camaro since it was new.. I have had dealer look it over twice and they cant find anything..
when I take turns hard I can feel a vibration or like tapping in steering wheel.. dealer cant reproduce since they said they are not allowed to drive customers cars hard but they said they check everything they could think of and the bolts and found nothing wrong but i agree it does make me nervous when taking turn a lil quick..
Im afraid tire fall off or steering rod break car goes into the wall and GM wont cover saying not their fault.
but like my sticking clutch issue on my manual camaro Chevy said they cant reproduce since they wont floor and shift car so they gave me the big FU.. LoL
Oh wow!

Courtesy and apologies are extended to you as well for your experiences in your SS. I know that must be pretty frustrating. The dealership service personnel was unable to find anything wrong, though did you offer to take the mechanic for a drive so you could show what was occurring?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Last time I saw this it turned out to be a front tire with a bulge on it.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
GQ4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Oh wow!

Courtesy and apologies are extended to you as well for your experiences in your SS. I know that must be pretty frustrating. The dealership service personnel was unable to find anything wrong, though did you offer to take the mechanic for a drive so you could show what was occurring?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Didnt think of that.. ill do next time I take it in.. For most part my dealer is very helpful.. I got mad at the clutch one but that was a long time ago and Lingenfelter fixed it for free for me so I got over it LoL..
Did put in the system so if anything happens it is there that something is wrong.. car has 24K miles and suspension and steering is unmodified so I still have warrenty so Ill have them look at it next oil change.. Thank you..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
Old 06-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
GQ4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
bulge where?
meaning bubble on tire?
Such as

I would think I would notice or dealer would notice but to be sure I will check tomorrow..
unless on inside of passenger tire so I cant see it hmm
Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Didnt think of that.. ill do next time I take it in.. For most part my dealer is very helpful.. I got mad at the clutch one but that was a long time ago and Lingenfelter fixed it for free for me so I got over it LoL..
Did put in the system so if anything happens it is there that something is wrong.. car has 24K miles and suspension and steering is unmodified so I still have warrenty so Ill have them look at it next oil change.. Thank you..
Right on,

Let me know if you experience any other concerns so that I may monitor the process for you if a dealership is involved.

Best regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
Will check, but haven't seen anything...car is about 5-6 months old so tires would be still relatively new.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
legacy

Quote:
Agreed...feels like my lug nuts are loose or something! I'd check with the dealership but don't feel like wasting the time. maybe when I upgrade the suspension/wheels, itll go away...

Quote:
Greetings legacy,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks for the support, will let you know if anything.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Agreed...feels like my lug nuts are loose or something! I'd check with the dealership but don't feel like wasting the time. maybe when I upgrade the suspension/wheels, itll go away..

Thanks for the support, will let you know if anything.
Not a problem!

I look forward to the follow up!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
I have the same issue since it was new also. Mine does it in tight corners or when I'm on the brakes going into a hard corner. my steering wheel shakes a little and I can also feel it in my brake pedal. I changed my suspension and it is still there...

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aSSee D View Post
I have the same issue since it was new also. Mine does it in tight corners or when I'm on the brakes going into a hard corner. my steering wheel shakes a little and I can also feel it in my brake pedal. I changed my suspension and it is still there...
If you feel it in your brake pedal it is most likely stability control and or the ABS kicking in. In an area where you have enough room to let her spin, ideally an autocross, use the TC button and see if it goes away. Then hold the button until you have two lights on the dash and try it again. Just be aware with the electronic aids disabled your car may take you for a ride.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote