Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #1
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Fog lights on with high beams?

So, I figured I may get more attention in here. Curious as to if anyone has done this? If there were trigger wires by the BCM a simple diode could do it, but nobody has information on this

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508340
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
DOT says no way Jose.
Learned this back in 84 when I bought a new VW and had dealer installed Bosch driving lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshelar View Post
DOT says no way Jose.
Learned this back in 84 when I bought a new VW and had dealer installed Bosch driving lights

DOT probably won't approve my tail light tints either, but that's not gonna stop me from using them
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G

Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
You can get the Phastek crossover, but if I had to do it again I'd get the gen5diy adaptor.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadz93 View Post
DOT probably won't approve my tail light tints either, but that's not gonna stop me from using them
Have a friend who is a Police Officer....just told me about a traffic accident he responded to last week. An SUV rear ended a Mustang that had its tail lights blacked out....Driver said she never saw the brake lights ahead. Long story short, the Mustang guy got a ticket and his insurance will most likely be paying for her damage as the taillight had been deliberately modified to be less visible.....probably not the same everywhere, but my buddy seems confident the Mustang guy will be paying.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
rshelar

Shame on you!
Always consider if this cosmetic stuff is worth the effort long term if you may have to reverse it all if you ever sell. The best money that I've spent so far is $300 for Eibach springs. Better handling in turns and a 1" drop. Great stance over stock

Old 09-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #7
rshelar

Old 09-26-2017, 04:56 AM   #8
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
I can't stand it when rude people have fog lights on with high beams. Being blinded while driving is no fun and just plain stupid of the people who do it to others.

There is no need for fog lights unless it is foggy out.

I turn off my fog lights when I come up behind another car or when another driver is coming at me in the other direction. Have some courtesy and don't be an ignorant moron.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:58 AM   #9
spadz93
BUMBL Z

I really find it hysterical that you all seem to think that I'm going to be driving around intentionally blinding people. This is simply for when I'm driving alone on the highway AT NIGHT when there are NO OTHER CARS AROUND. Before you call anyone ignorant, check yourself and leave the thread if you have nothing productive to say.

Oh, and regarding tinted tail lights? Every car I've had since I started driving eight years ago has had tinted tail lights, and not once have I ever had an issue. This also isn't what the thread is about, so please, stay on topic.

Moving forward, if anyone is going to come in here just to try and scold me, hit the back button.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
I don't really see the point in using fogs with high beams. The high beams illuminate so much more of the road, that the tiny bit of light that far down that the fogs give off is negligible IMO.

Though if used together, I don't see the harm either if one turns the brights off in oncoming traffic as usual.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #11
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
I don't really see the point in using fogs with high beams. The high beams illuminate so much more of the road, that the tiny bit of light that far down that the fogs give off is negligible IMO.
The value of running "fog lamps" here is to provide up-close fill-in illumination that high beams tend to sacrifice in exchange for the extra 'reach'. You're not trying to add to the long-distance illumination, just 'crutch' what the high beams aren't so good at.

Quote:
Though if used together, I don't see the harm either if one turns the brights off in oncoming traffic as usual.
Exactly. I think the situation before involved the maximum number of individual filaments allowed to be lit, which is a non-issue in at least where two-eyed HID headlighting is concerned.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-26-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
Have a friend who is a Police Officer....just told me about a traffic accident he responded to last week. An SUV rear ended a Mustang that had its tail lights blacked out....Driver said she never saw the brake lights ahead. Long story short, the Mustang guy got a ticket and his insurance will most likely be paying for her damage as the taillight had been deliberately modified to be less visible.....probably not the same everywhere, but my buddy seems confident the Mustang guy will be paying.
Uhhg...The kind of story I have been afraid of hearing.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #13
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
Quote:
This is simply for when I'm driving alone on the highway AT NIGHT when there are NO OTHER CARS AROUND.
So, If you are alone going down the highway who see's them? Do you get out of the car on the highway to check yourself out? There is no point in them other than to piss off the police and other drivers.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #14
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange skid mark View Post
So, If you are alone going down the highway who see's them? Do you get out of the car on the highway to check yourself out? There is no point in them other than to piss off the police and other drivers.
It's not about whether anybody else sees the lights, who they might be if they do, or what it looks like even if nobody else sees it.

It is about having the road ahead of you fully illuminated, even up close, when you're running the high beams. Lots of high beam arrangements really aren't all that good up close.

It's strictly about function, with matters of lighting as used for appearance/dress-up being completely irrelevant. Why is that so hard to understand?

Then again, maybe it really is that hard to understand if you're one of those people who think that darkened/intentionally obscured vehicle lighting is a good enough appearance idea that the obvious disadvantages don't matter.

Norm