Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #99
paulyd04

Drives: 12 Silverado XCAB Z71 APP PKG
Interesting stats for the autos...

I'd be curious if someone could break them down further by region because I know the majority of Camaros still sitting on lots are the auto SSs (not v6s though, v6 auto is a great seller)

I've driven the auto and manual SS and feel like the auto just takes some fun out. I will say and I talked to our GM rep about this, major kudos to GM for revising the paddle shift setup to make it a true formula one style versus the Corvette's confusing and horrible paddle setup. That is the only reason why I can live with the auto and would be able to live with an auto z28 if they made one.

Hey btw if any of you are looking for the hookup with a new camaro, u can email me if you want. We're not one of the dumb dealers who asks 5k over sticker or anything like that. Since our first camaro, we haven't asked a dollar over sticker and sold them all for straight sticker- nothing more, nothing less. To be honest, the markup difference between invoice and sticker isn't even worth trying to negotiate it's so minimal.
paulyd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #100
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
I drove the CTS V with an automatic and the thing was quick as hell.

300 lbs lighter and the Z28 should be even more fun.

If I bought the Z28 ...there is no question I'd buy the automatic six speed..

I'd like it to be a non torque convertor automatic as GM offers in one of its truck lines where the automatic transmission shifts via computer controls and not a torque convertor.. (MB offers this as its MCT transmission in its AMG lineup)

Gives a slightly more direct feeling that many manual transmission drivers perfer and it shifts faster than any manual transmission driver can accomplish..

I doubt it will be in any GM car for quite some time...but it would differentiate the Z28 and elevate its status in the "automatic" model..
Old 06-15-2010, 02:19 AM   #101
BigDan

Drives: bug
ttt
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #102
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsC6 View Post
I drove the CTS V with an automatic and the thing was quick as hell.

300 lbs lighter and the Z28 should be even more fun.

If I bought the Z28 ...there is no question I'd buy the automatic six speed..

I'd like it to be a non torque convertor automatic as GM offers in one of its truck lines where the automatic transmission shifts via computer controls and not a torque convertor.. (MB offers this as its MCT transmission in its AMG lineup)

Gives a slightly more direct feeling that many manual transmission drivers perfer and it shifts faster than any manual transmission driver can accomplish..

I doubt it will be in any GM car for quite some time...but it would differentiate the Z28 and elevate its status in the "automatic" model..
.... what kind of automatic transmission does GM offer that doesnt have a torque converter?

nearly all of their autos have been computer controlled since '93 when the 4l60e came out. they started phasing out non computer controlled transmissions after that point

the only auto transmission GM has offered that I can think of off hand that doesn't have a torque converter (because it is a clutchless manual) is the Easytronic that is offered for Opel/Vauxhall brands.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #103
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
.... what kind of automatic transmission does GM offer that doesnt have a torque converter?

nearly all of their autos have been computer controlled since '93 when the 4l60e came out. they started phasing out non computer controlled transmissions after that point

the only auto transmission GM has offered that I can think of off hand that doesn't have a torque converter (because it is a clutchless manual) is the Easytronic that is offered for Opel/Vauxhall brands.
I haven't noticed anything like this either (not saying it doesn't exist ) but I just don't see it happening since the 6L90 is already proven and calibrated to LSA.
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #104
havocnmayhem2005

Drives: 1999 Z28, 2007 Saurn Aura
You speak of a transmission like a DSG that Audi and Volksagon use. The new Audi R8 has a 8 speed ZF automated manual trans like this. It is amazing. Shift times are faster than any human could ever try to do. 600 ms.
havocnmayhem2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #105
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocnmayhem2005 View Post
You speak of a transmission like a DSG that Audi and Volksagon use. The new Audi R8 has a 8 speed ZF automated manual trans like this. It is amazing. Shift times are faster than any human could ever try to do. 600 ms.
Those are the ones I'm thinking of. Don't BMW and many of the other top-end car manufacturers use a sort of clutchless manuals, too? Anyways, I don't see that coming on this Z28.
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #106
BigDan

Drives: bug
I think CamaroSpike is talking about new TC less HD trannys GM is working on to be used in certian HD pickup apps.

Be prepared to see big advancements in automatic transmission technology in the next few years. Engineers can can get 10% better mpg just by using these up and coming new technologies.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #107
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
I think CamaroSpike is talking about new TC less HD trannys GM is working on to be used in certian HD pickup apps.

Be prepared to see big advancements in automatic transmission technology in the next few years. Engineers can can get 10% better mpg just by using these up and coming new technologies.

I'm trying to figure out what transmissions JBsC6 is talking about. I haven't heard of a new TC-less Trans for trucks. mainly because thats part of what makes an auto.... an auto.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #108
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocnmayhem2005 View Post
I think you meant 60 ms. 600 ms = .6 sec. lol

Someone here has data logged an auto's shift time and it's roughly 250 ms, or .25 sec.. So with that said you most likely meant 60 ms which is .06 sec.

Ps. - Buggati's (and VW's) shift at 8 ms! 0.008 seconds if you didn't catch the pattern. lol
Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #109
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
I would think that GM is going to just use the LSA and trans options from the CTS-V to the Z28 and thus an auto option with the manual.

Yes an auto Z28 isn't true to heritage from the 1st Gens but I'd say a 2 ton supercharged V8 is no more an abomination of the name than IROC-Z or the rather tame 4th Gen Z28's.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #110
FreddyG

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
Personally, I wouldn't buy one if they were stick only. I like the comfort of the A6 trans.
FreddyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #111
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
I would think that GM is going to just use the LSA and trans options from the CTS-V to the Z28 and thus an auto option with the manual.

Yes an auto Z28 isn't true to heritage from the 1st Gens but I'd say a 2 ton supercharged V8 is no more an abomination of the name than IROC-Z or the rather tame 4th Gen Z28's.
Obviously you never owned a 4th gen Z28. It was in no way tame compared to the other cars in its class and it would have soundly thrashed the 1st gen Z28 in every direction. My 4th gen mod for mod had no compitition unless it was another 4th gen F-body or C5, C6 vette or 03+ cobra. That car ran low 12's with just minor bolt ons. The new 5th gen is light years ahead of the 4th gen in every way accept performance. The new 5th gen is just a tad bit better in performance over the so called tame 4th gen. Saying the 4th gen Z28 was tame is like saying the SAW 249 is a tame automatic rifle. Mark my words the 4th gen F body will go down in history as the most fearsome pony car of its era. The 4th gen needed serious help in alot of ways but performance was not one of them. The 4th gen was in no way considered tame.