Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Brilac

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS GFX Red Jewel Tintcoat
Question Poor FM reception stock stereo..

Just like the title states, I have a 2010 2ss/rs with the factory stereo,boston accoustics without the optional sub.
I have poor FM reception, lots of static and stations fading out almost like the antenna is not connected. The strange thing is that with the car off and radio on the reception is good,it only is bad when the car is running.
Anyboby have a similar problem?
Does anyone know where the antenna conections in the car are?
I know the antenna is in the rear window but where is the connector? I looked in the trunk hoping to find a loose wire but all seems fine.
I have searched the forums and I know about the possible problems with window tint ,but the windows are factory tint.
The only mods done to my car are muffler delete,custom painted bowties,amber leds in the drls and the adaptive performance wiring harness.
I will remove the leds and disconnect the harness tomorrow to see if it changes anything,but open to any ideas of other things to check.
Thanks in advance.
Brilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
Hi, I had the same problems and the dealer stated it was because i had the rear window tinted. But in your case if the rear window is factory tinted take it into the dealer
Iam going to look into an after market antenna that i can put in the dash because iam not ripped the window tint off just incase its not the problem
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
erftbll81

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
I just got my back windows tinted and now the AM radio has an insane amount of static. =/
erftbll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
The tint actually makes sense. I know the tint I got has a metallic film in it, to keep it from fading. It doesn't look metallic when you look at it, but the installer told me it was a metallic tint.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Brilac

Thanks for your responses. If I can't figure it out I will bring it to the dealer,but I usually try to fix things or at least diagnose a problem before bringing to the dealer. I know its still under warrantee,but sometimes a quick fix at home is less of a hassle than bringing it to them.
Like I said factory tint ,so no interference from tinting.
Also bad AM reception. Great bluetooth , usb and cd sound.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
How do you have factory tint? I didn't think there was such a thing.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Brilac

Sorry for the confusion, what I should have posted was factory glass color(clear). No aftermarket tint
Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Dragon Tats

Drives: 2010 Black LT1
I have the same issue. Had it with my stock stereo BEFORE I tinted my windows, after I tinted the windows and again even after I swapped out my factory for an aftermarket stereo. It's not the tint because that actually goes below the antennae on the inside of the window. Talking to my stereo installer he was saying that's it's the digital antennaes cars are using now a days vs the mast antennae on other cars. ANd where most cars/ people are leaning towards the satellite services in car Pandora services or Ipod 's. So pretty soon FM is going to be a thing of the past.
Dragon Tats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
Brilac

thanks dragon tats,
I guess i will look into aftermarket antennas,but first i will contact a dealer about this.It doesn't seem right that a car with a sticker price in excess of 40k should have a stereo with poor radio reception. I do listen to pandora alot thru bluetooth but i also (try) to listen to a couple of my favorite FM stations as well.
Does anyone know where the antenna connections are? Just at stereo or are there more than one location?
Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
Dragon tats Some tints will effect it like mine before i had it tinted everything worked fine now after tine whenever i have the rear defrosters on it goes static

2010 Black 2SS/RS - Stainless powers 1 7/8 LT headers, cold air inductions cai, Tuned by dynosteve, Feesler side skirt, Feesler Spoiler, Feesler carbon fiber bowties, H&R Lowering Springs.
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Brilac

quick update...
I just went out and with the car running with poor radio reception,i shut off the drls and the fm signal became strong and clear. I switched the lights on and off multiple times and the results were the same always.
My next step now will be to remove the amber Leds and put the stock bulbs back in....check fm reception.... if problem still exists I will then remove the aftermarket harness that keeps the drls on with the halos.

I must be getting frequency feedback either from the leds or the harness.
will update later...
Old 05-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
Brilac

Problem solved....

I removed the aftermarket amber Leds that i put in for daytime running lights and put the stock ugly clear bulbs back in. Stereo reception is perfect. I'm not sure why but the leds must have been putting out some type of radio interference.I still am using the adaptive performance harness that will allow the drls to remain on when the headlights are on,so it definetly was the leds.Anybody have thoughts on why the leds would cause this issue?
Does anyone know where I can find amber colored bulbs(not leds) to use as drls?
thanks to all who responded.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Odd I have the same issue however I have HID DRLs. But my static comes in when the car is running. When its off no problem.

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
Brilac

jdenodder,
that is the same problem i had. the quick way to check is to start the car,tune the radio to a poor reception station,then just turn the drls off(turn headlight switch counter clockwise),if station signal gets clear then its your aftermarket bulbs causing interference,put your original bulbs back in if you want better stereo sound.