Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
BLK2SS

Drives: Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-Vette View Post
FACT
stainless steal wants to retain it's original shape - flat
It changes shape as it heats up, the welds to it do not.
You cannot expect the pipe itself is thin and brackets or collectors are thicker that they react the same to heat and expansion.

the proof of what happens when heat coating is used and the damage to the headers and the engine is common, just a few

http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ub...=3251#Post3251

Vendors selling headers where their costs are less then $300 and then selling them for $1200-$1600 claim they have never seen problems, the car owners with blown heads have

The fact with engine management and feedback sensors leaks in headers cause untold damage as the 02 sensors only know what the 02 content is and PCM is making false adjustments so when head ends up too lean, the other way lean and a total imbalance to fuel trims.

There is zero reason to coat stainless steel, if heat is a issue entering the car then a heat mat can be used.

Most tuners and almost all car owners do not know if weld cracks, some are so thin the only way you see the problem is to use a smoker and in custom tuning for 15 years I have seen countless tunes that were screwed up because the tuner was masking the problem which is to make the side leaking richer which forces the PCM to make the other head way too rich.

If anyone thinks those big buck headers they have that were built in Mexico or China on $5 a day labor is high quality I suggest as a minimum is use a good OBD scanner and see if the short, long term fuel trims, fuel injector pulse width and 02 outputs are equal left/right.

Else I can show images of burned pistons and valves all due to header leaks causing lousy AFR to cylinders.

You cut off the caption in the pic. What did it say? Those 2k headers look like crap because they were wrapped? You can clearly see the pattern of the wrap embedded into the material.
BLK2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #16
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
For those interested in the rest of JR-Vette's "Facts" here is the link to the full article not the copy/past omitting some parts mumbo jumbo posted above...

Scroll down to page 30 for the stainless steel tech write up...

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR-Vette View Post

the proof of what happens when heat coating is used and the damage to the headers and the engine is common, just a few

http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ub...=3251#Post3251
I don't see a coated header in that thread? In the first picture that "crack" is a hole and looks like a gun shot. Almost looks detonation related. Bottom line is..only way an engine gets messed up from any header, coated or not is if it is tuned wrong.

Quote:
Vendors selling headers where their costs are less then $300 and then selling them for $1200-$1600 claim they have never seen problems, the car owners with blown heads have
Please direct me to this header line with 1000 in margin a set...I am obviously selling the wrong stuff.

Quote:

Else I can show images of burned pistons and valves all due to header leaks causing lousy AFR to cylinders.

I am guessing you deal in older Zr1's or something? You can throw crap at the wall all day and hope that it sticks. Last I checked...blown motors from header leaks are not a problem in the LSx community. Blown motors from people trying to tune who don't have a clue are.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eynigush View Post
They need it to protect the headers from surface rust. 409 grade stainless...
Well its mainly for exhaust velocity and to keep underhood temps down but it comes with a performance guarantee and a life time warranty.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
thalilbear02

Drives: Searching for 6th Gen 1LE
On my past car I just bought a ceramic coat can by VHT from autozone, sprayed it on, let it dry, did a few more coats, put it on the car and let it heat up for a bit and go through that heat cycle, and then boom, you're done.

Obviously you might not have the same skills as Jet Hot do, but it's obviously less expensive!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #20
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Man, this is getting interesting. I'm gonna get some popcorn....be right back.
Alfie