Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #267
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
New theory..... What if the ZL-1 and Z-28 are one in the same? From what has recently been revealed the ZL-1 WILL be the king of the streets & 1/4 mile, but what if you want something a little more "specialized", say for road courses? I think the "track package" option for the ZL-1 may just possibly re-badge the car Z-28. After all, wasn't the original Z-28 just a code used for ordering a "track" car?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #268
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
???
Two very different concepts.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 09-10-2011 at 07:23 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #269
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman 12 View Post
New theory..... What if the ZL-1 and Z-28 are one in the same? From what has recently been revealed the ZL-1 WILL be the king of the streets & 1/4 mile, but what if you want something a little more "specialized", say for road courses? I think the "track package" option for the ZL-1 may just possibly re-badge the car Z-28. After all, wasn't the original Z-28 just a code used for ordering a "track" car?
....uhmmm, <scratching head> ,...No.....
Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #270
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Considering the recent statement by GM, from which I have here an excerpt...

"For the Camaro ZL1, the LSA features a unique induction system, with a lower-restriction air filter, dual inlet paths, and improved airflow through the supercharger housing."

If there is a "track pack" and this hood is a prototype, do you guys think the hood scoop could be a part of a cold air induction system specifically built for our beasty?

That would also remove some air pressure right in the path of the extractor, thereby making the extractor more effective.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #271
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
Considering the recent statement by GM, from which I have here an excerpt...

"For the Camaro ZL1, the LSA features a unique induction system, with a lower-restriction air filter, dual inlet paths, and improved airflow through the supercharger housing."

If there is a "track pack" and this hood is a prototype, do you guys think the hood scoop could be a part of a cold air induction system specifically built for our beasty?

That would also remove some air pressure right in the path of the extractor, thereby making the extractor more effective.

I know the upper plenum is different than LSA in CTS-V. In looking at the flat-topped CTS-V LSA, ZL1 LSA looks to have a splitter which softens the up-turn of the pressurized air as it's pushed down the runners into the heads. However, I'm all for any and all improvements for the sake of POWER!!!

I know I'd like to see a CAI-type set-up for ZL1. I know it's not going to be great because of having to keep that carbon trap functional, but the lowest restriction air inlet is what I'd be looking for. From the reading I've done about Ram Air-type systems, though, a scoop for the hood, or even facia, would have to be so high to actually get any benefit that it just wouldn't be practical. Obviously, ramming air into the airbox for an FI motor is not really going to happen on a regular production car, but introducing all the cold air that the motor could inject would be sweet. I certainly hope that's what they'd try to do for ZL1, or any other CAMARO for that matter.

Honestly though - that hood is a bit much for me, lol. I had to take a different perspective after I first saw ZL1's hood. It didn't take long to LOVE it after learning about it's functionality. This hood is a bit much, but if it does it's job, I'm not complaining.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #272
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiE2000 View Post
I say... it's the Z28, no doubt.. but why does it have to be a V8? that hood scoop is perfect for a top mounted intercooler... maybe to keep cost down on the z28, they kept it a v6 and turbod it...
Wouldn't that make it a Z/26 then because as far as I have been aware the Caviler had a Z/24 due to the fact that it had a 4 banger and before anyone says that it would be 6 Cylinders + 2 Turbos = 8, no it does not work like that. Just because a car makes 312 Horsepower doesn't mean you get to piss on heritage by calling a Car a Muscle Car Regardless of the Fact that there is no V8. NO V8 = NO Z/28 = No Longer A Muscle Car.

I'm all for a Twin Turbo V6 but not if there isn't a V8 as well, Chevy still has to get their V6 Exhaust Notes up to par with the competition.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #273
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
I find the use of a 376 cubic inch long stroke engine as insulting to the origins of the Z28 RPO as an 8000 rpm twin turbo V6. If I had to chose between the two, I'd take the later sonce they already have a track preped ZL1 coming out. Plus pushing the limits of a V6 for GM would be a huge step toward what the future holds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Just because a car makes 312 Horsepower doesn't mean you get to piss on heritage by calling a Car a Muscle Car Regardless of the Fact that there is no V8. NO V8 = NO Z/28 = No Longer A Muscle Car.
WOW! Muscle cars died in 1972. You can not relive the past. What we have today is a NEW era and I really wish people would quit trying to think that just because it has the Camaro name on it that it means it is a muscle car. Think about all the under 200 hp Camaros that were V8 powered from 1972 through the third gens death. The most lenient term I would consider is modern muscle. I also find it funny that only the BIG BLOCK V8's were really considered MUSCLE cars not the small blocks. Heck the base V8 for the 1969 Camaro was a wimpy 307, but since it is a V8, does that make it a muscle car?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #274
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post
I find the use of a 376 cubic inch long stroke engine as insulting to the origins of the Z28 RPO as an 8000 rpm twin turbo V6. If I had to chose between the two, I'd take the later sonce they already have a track preped ZL1 coming out. Plus pushing the limits of a V6 for GM would be a huge step toward what the future holds.

WOW! Muscle cars died in 1972. You can not relive the past. What we have today is a NEW era and I really wish people would quit trying to think that just because it has the Camaro name on it that it means it is a muscle car. Think about all the under 200 hp Camaros that were V8 powered from 1972 through the third gens death. The most lenient term I would consider is modern muscle. I also find it funny that only the BIG BLOCK V8's were really considered MUSCLE cars not the small blocks. Heck the base V8 for the 1969 Camaro was a wimpy 307, but since it is a V8, does that make it a muscle car?
No technically it would have to have BOTH the Horsepower and Torque to back it up at least that is the way I would see it.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #275
Shu71

Quote:
Wouldn't that make it a Z/26 then because as far as I have been aware the Caviler had a Z/24 due to the fact that it had a 4 banger and before anyone says that it would be 6 Cylinders + 2 Turbos = 8, no it does not work like that. Just because a car makes 312 Horsepower doesn't mean you get to piss on heritage by calling a Car a Muscle Car Regardless of the Fact that there is no V8. NO V8 = NO Z/28 = No Longer A Muscle Car.

I'm all for a Twin Turbo V6 but not if there isn't a V8 as well, Chevy still has to get their V6 Exhaust Notes up to par with the competition.
Quote:
No technically it would have to have BOTH the Horsepower and Torque to back it up at least that is the way I would see it.
So it really isn't a # of cylinder issue, but rather a power issue. If the said V6 with Twin Turbo's made 400 tq and 430 hp, would it be a muscle car? Just curious because I hear so many state that a V6 can't be considered a muscle car but then they use the 6 vs 8 argument but forget that most of the cars build in the 60's and early 70's had v8's but were less powerful than today's 6. Even the 1969 Camaro SS350 would get beat at the strip, on the street and on the road course by today's LLT. Heck any Chevelle from that time period that wasn't big block powered would have it's butt handed to it by the LLT. So you can't use power or handling as a determination. So it must be a 6 vs 8 thing, but now you said it wasn't.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #276
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu71 View Post

If you want to be technical about it, the Camaro was never a Muscle car but a Pony Car instead. Now this is also up to debate since it is also stated that the 87 Buick Grand National GNX was the last of the Muscle Cars and it was a turbo V6.

Also by the RPO system a Camaro "Z28" with a V6 would be Labeled a Z26 do to the fact that it has a V6. Examples of this would be the Z24 Cavalier (had a 4 cylinder) and the Z26 Beretta (had a V6).
Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #277
Shu71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
If you want to be technical about it, the Camaro was never a Muscle car but a Pony Car instead. Now this is also up to debate since it is also stated that the 87 Buick Grand National GNX was the last of the Muscle Cars and it was a turbo V6.

Also by the RPO system a Camaro "Z28" with a V6 would be Labeled a Z26 do to the fact that it has a V6. Examples of this would be the Z24 Cavalier (had a 4 cylinder) and the Z26 Beretta (had a V6).
I agree with most of everything you said. I almost brought up the GNX issue too. I considered the SS350 and other small block Camaro's pony cars because they in fact were created to compete with the Ford MUSTANG. However when Chevy put the big blocks in the Camaro as a drag racing car and the handling went to heck, that to me was a Muscle Car and no longer a pony car. Others may disagree but until they make another big block light weight all about acceleration in the 1/4 mile full steel bodied car, there will not ever be another muscle car (obvously that is my opinion). I was just trying to figure out why some try to draw the line at # of cylinders when the metrics used for determining muscle in the muscle car era were based on performance and not cylinders. Then if they aregue performance, then compare the LLT to SS350's or smaller cube versions and that theory is shot. Pony Car is probably the right term for today's Camaro's unless they stuff a big block in it and put a rear gear in the dif and let this thing run 10's in factory trim; then we would have a real modern era muscle car

Sorry for getting off topic. The real topic was the Z/28 and what engine it should have. The ZL1 already comes with the adjustable track suspension. The SS is here. So maybe a high revving turbo or supercharges LLT v6 in the ZL1 chassis but lightened up and track ready wouldn't be such a bad thing. Can you imagine if a V6 (obviously not naturally aspirated) Camaro out performed the Boss 302 on the road courses?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #278
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:

Actually, the Z28 name had nothing to do the the number of cylinders that the vehicle had. At the time, late 1966, when the Z28 was being developed, Chevrolet had yet to come up with a trim name for the vehicle, so Chevrolet decided to use the next RPO code in line above the SS RPO code (Z27) as the RPO code and name for the vehicle, and hence the designation Z28 was born.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #279
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

Does that mean Z71 trucks have a 1 cylinder engine?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #280
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Actually, the Z28 name had nothing to do the the number of cylinders that the vehicle had. At the time, late 1966, when the Z28 was being developed, Chevrolet had yet to come up with a trim name for the vehicle, so Chevrolet decided to use the next RPO code in line above the SS RPO code (Z27) as the RPO code and name for the vehicle, and hence the designation Z28 was born.
Yes this was the case in in '66, but once the Z28 RPO code caught on as its own brand the Idea was tried on other vehicles later to see if lightning would strike again. It became that any 2 door car developed as a track star (in most cases said to be but never really was) Z2* would be its designation with the * being placed as the number of cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Does that mean Z71 trucks have a 1 cylinder engine?
Like above GM Found that branding Cars with their RPO codes worked really well and people liked it, so they decided if it works on cars lets try it on trucks. The Z71 is as much of a branding success as the Z28 if not better, but how it got the RPO code Z71 not really sure but just as with the Z28 it was most likely next in line for trucks.