Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS RS 1LE
Front Ceramic/Carbon Fiber Brake Pads!

I don't know when these, or any ceramic, pads came out for our cars but I finally found a set of ceramic pads for the front of my car!

RockAuto.com never fails to surprise me. I just happened to look on there while I was ordering parts for another car and was shocked to see them. There are even cheaper sets than the ones I bought.

I'm sure some of you are probably thinking something along the lines of this guy needs to get out more often. But the fact is, I'm so happy my front wheels no longer look like hell after a ten min drive! I haven't had to clean my wheels with other than a power washing in weeks!

Thank God they're here!!

The cheapest ceramic ones on RockAuto are $22. The ones I bought were $62. It seems most, if not all, ceramics are by Power Stop.

I copied the description for the ones I bought and pasted it bellow.

Did I mention I'm SUPPER HAPPY THEY HAVE CERAMIC PADS!!!!!???

Z26 New Formulation Brake Pads

Power Stop extreme pads are made for high performance street drivers who demand shorter stops under the most demanding conditions. The Z26 brake torque is consistently higher than OE pads with outstanding thermal stability. Power Stop Extreme Performance pads are best suited for high horsepower cars and big wheel upgrades. The Z26 friction compound is a carbon fiber and ceramic hybrid that resists fade to 1500 degrees. With Z26 pads, you can count on superior pad bite without dusty wheels.

Features
Carbon Fiber infused Evolution ceramic formula for superior braking power
Pad surfaces are thermal scorched for a fast break-in
Chamfered and slotted like the OE pad to ensure noise-free braking
Powder coated backing plate extends life by resisting rust and corrosion
Premium stainless steel shims provide virtually noise-free braking
Premium stainless steel hardware kit for easy, problem free installation
Power Stop Brake Rotor/Pad Instructions & Break-In Procedure

POWER STOP Warranty Information
High Performance/Heavy Duty Kits (K, K-36, and KC Kits) 60 day hassle-free exchange and 3 year/36,000 miles.
Daily Driver Kits (KOE Kits) 90 days/3,000 miles.
Individual Calipers 90 days/3,000 miles.
Individual Rotors and Brakes 30 days/500 miles.
For explanation of hassle-free exchange see warranty details
Warranty Details
Old 02-14-2016, 05:39 AM   #2
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I must be SO out of the loop. Not one comment? Wow. LOL
Old 02-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Xeno13

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE / Nightfall Grey
I'll comment - why does it state z26?
Xeno13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I'm thinking it's their model number for the pads.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
bowtieguy#3
bowtieguy#3

Drives: 2010 2 SS, 2009 silverado shorty,
Hi, just wondered if you went with new power stop rotors as well, iam in the same boat, tired with having to clean the wheels every time i drive my 1le, if you used the factory rotors was ther a brake in procedure with these pads , has the stoping abillity changed, do these pads appear to score your rotors? Thanks for your input ,
bowtieguy#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #6
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I went with the R1Concepts Premium Cross Drilled & Slotted rotors along with the Stop Tech Stainless Steel Braided Hose. I've used this combo on several cars in the past and have been blown away with the longevity and performance of it.

Ceramic pads are not going to be your pad of choice for track days, as far as I've read. However, I've run the above setup several times on track days and daily driving and have had nothing to complain about. I will say this newest set of pads seems to bite a bit harder than the last ceramics I've used in the past. I've not done any track time with these pads yet either.

The picture below shows my Driver's side front wheel. I've put about 200 miles on the new pads and I've power washed the car once since install. To be clear, I power wash on the high pressure rinse and follow with the spot free rinse and drive it dry, followed by a light wipe of the door jams and any drip marks. That's it. I've not done anything to these wheels other than spray water on them. It's GREAT!

I've seen no negative change in overall performance. The rotors in the picture have two track days on them and the better part of 30k miles on them. R1's Premium Rotors are awesome. My last set was on a 2006 Dodge Magnum Station Wagon and they lasted the entire 7 + years of my wife and I driving. I keep a close eye on our cars and check the lug nut torque a couple times after the wheels have been off which is key to keeping everything happy. From everything I've ever read, the number one cause of warped rotors is improperly torque lug nuts.

That all said the pads do come with an instruction sheet which covers a break-in period. I honestly didn't read it other than it saying it would take about 200 miles of normal driving to properly break them in. I went to the old stand by of about 50 - 60 miles and then did the hard breaking several times while never coming to a complete stop and then driving for about 15 mins to cool them off again. Some will say that's the wrong thing to do but how many of them have had a single set of pads and rotors last 7 + years on a daily driver and still be no where close to being worn out.

Hope I answered everything. I'd say get them and enjoy more time driving than cleaning.

Matter of fact. It's 70 and sunny out right now. I'm going for a drive right now.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
I'm a little confused: Ceramic pads are generally not good for track, but this one says it is good for up to 1500 degrees F fade resistance, which is great. Track pads usually start from $300, and this one is just $62, which makes me wonder if it's too good to be true, and if I am missing something. Is this a new kind of pad? If it doesn't get 'too soft' at high temps, it might be a great pad, but I am concerned if there's a detail I'm not seeing in the marketing jargon.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:25 AM   #8
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Not sure myself. What I can tell you is that during my hard break in with several 80 to 5 mph stops I didn't feel the slightest hint of fad. I actually found them to be biting harder than the OEM pads which were on the car before.

I'm not going to say they are a "Track" pad until I put them on a track but that's not going to be for a while.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #9
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Definitely going to consider these when my 1le is ready for new rotors and pads. Thanks for the info
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:51 AM   #10
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I didn't wait for mine to need them. I got this stuff as soon as I could

Last edited by krazzyk01; 02-17-2016 at 11:46 AM.
krazzyk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:16 AM   #11
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I have to say, the more I drive these pads the more I like them. They're not "grabby" but I can see I've had to lighten up on how hard I push on the pedal since these things really grab. I wish I would've done some comparison type stuff before changing them.

If any of you get these would you do some before and after measurements? That would be cool.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #12
bowtieguy#3
bowtieguy#3

Drives: 2010 2 SS, 2009 silverado shorty,
Just want to say Thanks for the heads up on the Power Stop pads, installed two weeks ago, great bite, quiet, greatly reduced dust
bowtieguy#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #13
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy#3 View Post
Just want to say Thanks for the heads up on the Power Stop pads, installed two weeks ago, great bite, quiet, greatly reduced dust

No problem. Glad to help. Put stainless steel brake hoses on there and really see a difference.