Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Thoke

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss 6.2 manual
2015 camaro 2ss 6.2 6 speed manual keeps blowing cv shafts!

Hello

I have a 2015 chevy camaro 6.2 ls3 6 speed short shift manual. I hydorplaned off the interstate 8/2017 and ran over 3 rear. Before this I had no issues with the car.

After the accident the drivers then passengers CV shaft broke. The dealer replaced both as it was powertrain warranty. The car had about 60k miles when the accident happened. The dealer replaced the drivers cv shaft in Nov 2017and the passenger in January 2018. Both the driver and passenger cv shafts went out in may 2018 and June 2018 for drivers side.

Dealers refusing to fix stating its misuse. Funny thing is that I never had an issue before.

The passenger CV shaft broke at the hub This happened when I was driving from a stop at a stop light took off and it broke.

The drivers side cv shaft broke in the top right at the rear end where it connects.

Any suggestions why I keep blowing through cv shafts?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Thoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Weird. Over torqued?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
What did you run over?? Sounds to me like something is bent or misaligned in the rear from the accident.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Yeah unless you're running a slick, you should be even be able to physically break a stock shaft.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
What did you run over?? Sounds to me like something is bent or misaligned in the rear from the accident.
that would be my thought on this. Something else is going on to cause this repetition of breaks.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
Thoke

When I hydroplaned, I ran over 3 rebar with a barbed wired fence. However, according to my insurance company and the body shop, there was nothing else wrong with the car when I ran over the rebar, just the body work.

However, I did notice that GM changed the powertrain warranty from 100k in 2015 to 60k in 2016. I also found that other people that issues with their rear end in the camaros and corvettes.

I have been told that the splines went out in my rear end, which I think is why the CV shafts kept going out.

I think it is either something that happened in the accident, or it is an issue GM knows about they are not recalling. GM warranty flagged my powertrain warranty as abuse with no proof. I am also looking to see others that have blown either CV shafts, or had issues with the rear end to see what their complaints are.

Last edited by Thoke; 11-21-2018 at 09:18 AM. Reason: left info out
Old 11-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Well.... the $10 question is:

...are you abusing it?
Old 11-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
It sounds like the CV joints sustained damage in the accident. The dealer is probably right that this is not covered by warranty, but...

You can, in fact, file an insurance claim later for "hidden" damage that wasn't discovered at the original appraisal. It's not uncommon for delayed mechanical problems to emerge after an accident, and a good insurance agent will help you with that.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The splines being out are what hold the CV joints in which in actuality are your rear axles. There is no reason for them to repeatedly grenade except for the fact you need to rip into the rear end and redo the gears most likely as they are screwed you must have tangled some rebar in the shafts and then it bound and tore up the interior of the rear end though the insurance did not want to fix the rear they are full of it. Body shops don't do mechanical usually so no one got into the rear.....

Normally the rears pretty stout but not so good with wheel hop the main reason some can abuse the rear axles to death..I am built with about zl1 numbers n/a and have original axles for 400 hp...… I do have the smarts to make the rear more solid with new trialing arms and toes and someday poly /solid rear bushings all over as a two piece frame is weak.....and don't flog it at high revs and dump the clutch but are more easier and totally avoid wheel hop and am on my second built engine...……..

So you need to remind the insurance the Splines are screwed,( according to the dealer); they did not do a fix for the rear end ;and you may get sympathy if you offer to upgrade to 3:91 gears at the dealership ........that they if they are worth a crap should do for free as I just bet you take the pumpkin off and there is some debris in there they have not been paid to deal with....as taking the rear apart is a PITA the rear sway bar goes through a support made into the rear cover...…. And the LPW cover helps beef up a weaker stock cover to a weak pumpkin that can flex...or distort most likely in a accident.... SO I would offer to with parts in hand ,(or better yet offer to buy through them);get the dealer to install for free 3:91 gears and recalibrate the speedo, and while they are into tearing it up ask if they would install some new BMR trailing arms and toes; and insist you never flog it or wheel hop and they should help you make the insurance pay for the rearend repair and they could get reimbursed for all those CV joints...….And hopefully GM will remove the Abuse on your car deal with a proper repair of the rearend…...

You could show to a insurance agent a draining of the fluid from the rear most likely and it would have metal shavings in it and the splines are most likely bunged up and therefore something got hammered in there...the rear does have a additive for anti-slip to add to the fluid, and places like blackstone can report the condition of used oil.....maybe used diff fluid? the deal is most likely there is some chunks of gear in there...…….. I understand the dealership wants to be reimbursed for the costs its not a under warranty deal, they need to get their money from the insurance because its not a recall deal its on you to prompt your insurance to have someone look in the rear...….

The dealership went above by replacing the axles/ujoints/cv joints what ever broke more than once but they dropped the ball most likely at tearing into the rear as many insurance companies are not going to say go ahead tear into it...….

Maybe somehow you could come out of this better off with some money and such with better gears; and a understanding of the dealership you did not flog the dog its the way crap happened and they did not tear into the rear IMO 100%..... they said the splines are messed with....that means everything connected to the splines can be screwed and should be looked at seriously...…..

SO tell the insurance guy they did not go into the rear its on them, tell them guys with stroked, blown, cammed built Camaros are doing a hell of a lot better on the stock rear and abusing them; than you are just trying to drive to get groceries.... and your getting flagged for abuse by GM! Splines don't F themselves up...….. Good Luck. The dealers right and the insurance screwed you as usual...….. Your not abusing it though, its just in need of much more repair...there's not a body shop around that's going to tear the whole rear apart on a complicated IRS setup.... it needs more than a once over its internal in the Pumpkin; like the dealer said...and mention that to the dealer...…..you have been abusing them due to the insurance also not digging into the rear...and they who did the original repair to the CV they should have looked over more even though it would have required being authorized by your insurance..... There is one insurance company up here called Leifs that takes on other crappy insurance companies and bills them BTW...for their improper repairs......

So talk nicely to the dealership they actually have gone above and beyond on something totally non powertrain warranty related which is rare to find one so nice actually...GM took it in the Arse fixing it, and its your insurance CO's fault, and you should get a statement saying from the dealership that your splines are screwed and therefore its most likely internal to the rear, they flagged your car for abuse when they got tired of fixing it for free...which costs them...GM and its the insurance CO. like usual trying to just get it done cheap for a repair....their telepathy did not reach into your rear pumpkin...…

You should talk to the dealership really nice now and make kissy, kissy; bring chocolates and they might write you a letter saying the splines are screwed the rear end needs torn apart , most likely there is some minor gear damage etc.... from the accident and its binding the axles etc...which has repeatedly shown up over time and they have had to go out of Pocket from GM repeatedly being upstanding fixing your Camaro the insurance did not fix right...and maybe they can give you a bill for to give to the insurance for all those CV joints/axles etc...…. because something is binding in there and most likely its chopped gears and etc...…….. And the insurance is at fault and they have to have pissed off the dealership by now doing work for them for nothing trying to keep a customer happy...……… You got some X plaining to do...……..but so does the Insurance co......big time. Either they step up or you will have to have it torn down and documented and sue them...….that's your real option from a old motorhead...…..

Once again good luck; and tell Them thank you profusely at the dealership apparently you got a good one. And maybe they will help you out and get their payday back for GM who should be reimbursed by your insurance...……..Definitely 1000%

Last edited by christianchevell; 11-22-2018 at 09:50 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #10
Thoke

No, I do not abuse my car. It's my first car I bought brand new. I was told that the rear end is powertrain warranty, however. The dealer that flagged my repair is not the shop that told me my splines were out. In fact the dealer that told me they would not replace any more cv shafts due to "abuse". GM said it was abuse because they replaced CV shafts, however, I am finding out that the rear end went out because of the spline going out. However I did find a recall from 2015 SUV and truck models stating it was a recall because the gears went out. There is no way the dealer will fix the rear end nor my insurnace because I had to get an attorney due to how poorly my car looks now. It is not up to industry standard.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

The rear was damaged from the accident, if you have such incredibly lousy insurance that's on you. A trucks recall is not going to help you, the shop that told you your spines are going out ; did they explain it needed repair ASAP, and at the time you could have documented it. The splines are what keep the rear axles from moving independently from the output shafts of the rear end, they feed into and out of gears/ rear posi---and into the yokes of the u joints;cv joints, if they are chewed up yes you can still often clean them up and smash another splined axle into the machined splined receiver in what ever part, but they will under load and stress eventually slip most likely and only screw things up more if they are really that shot...……….

You must have went to a attorney and had the work done most likely at a insurance preferred body shop...when you have a right to get three bids from three shops and choose who you want.

Your insurance screwed you and maybe you should talk; I damn well would to another insurance co. Maybe they could help you try to recover from the other insurance co. there are rare examples of companies who do this in the auto body industry..thats why I talked about Liefs here in Oregon they actually fight for the consumer and have a reputation they have had trashed by insurance companies because they do correct others mistakes. I imagine you were not very successful at recovering from the damage to your Camaro and what ever shop did what you need to find a competent rear end shop to repair your Camaro.

I frankly would have, and have before sued people/places with just me and my evidence; physical and documentation successfully...and its important to document as its a mechanics statement but may not be able to even be accepted in court, and I have had to represent myself with a cylinder head in hand, and documentation.

Filing a complaint with the state attorney general and the better business bureau and then getting the rear end repaired and saving the documentation of the work and suing may be your only recourse. But don't expect the evidence to be able to be introduced as the courts system is full of it, save the shot splines to bring into court and the shot gears etc..... and explain your case chronologically well and the insurance co. ;well they will have to pay the filing fee if they loose. You could also take pics and bring the Camaro to show the lousy body work etc...…. if the Judge will leave the chamber, and bring good estimates; 3 to repair the defective work..but most likely your damage will exceed simpler low cost Small claims court so you may want to just sue for the max you can recover at a level your safe feeling to put out the money for.

Most likely the insurance co. will be pissed but F them, they may want to settle out side of the court with a omnibudsman / negotiation with a third party which does happen...… been there done that , got what I wanted and they paid fees and they did not want to pay a attorney...…..settled before even talking to a judge or meeting with them..... And you better have a copy of your full insurance policy, and any repair bills , prior evidence/ pics/ bills, any scrap of paper and do not waste the courts time.

What ever you do, Good luck..... Its hard standing up for yourself, on more than principle even harder ,and through the courts even harder. Your repeated trips for repairs are also related to the damage and its all interconnected.

Last edited by christianchevell; 11-24-2018 at 12:16 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Are you still making payments on your Camaro?
If so, the lender has an obligation that your Camaro is worth it's value. It is on their shoulders that the insurance you have repairs the vehicle to the condition it was in before the accident. They have lawyers.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Before you go all hostile on anybody, talk to the insurance agent about hidden damage, as I mentioned in an earlier post.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Some more details are missing in this story of when you talked to or retained a attorney, who did the work on the body, and who appraised the damage. You may have signed papers saying your OK with the settlement of the repairs and not realized it. A good body shop stands by their work as does a good insurance agent. I know you most likely looking into the cost of new rear end gears etc..... Good Luck