Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #29
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
I like the full naked exhaust sound myself! Most people complaining about muffler delete sound usually didn’t like or obtain the results they were seeking because and mostly due to still having stock cats. If I did things over say with another 5th gen, the first thing I would do is just delete the cats and tune car. I think everyone can agree on the aftermarket headers and either a cat delete or hfc’s certainly is the way to start.... following that it’s really just preference to your liking regarding loudness or tones.

I’ll tell ya it was loud as hell inside my car during the time I did a full rear seat delete and gutted the trunk after doing my exhaust mods.. I built a rear seat delete panel from scratch out of fiberglass that took awhile to make so I spent a whole summer going deafened LOL. Once I got the delete panel done and installed things pretty much sounds like factory inside the car.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #30
Jayjellyfish212

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
You make a very good point. Personally if NPP exhaust came in 2010 I would have done headers and left the NPP because that combo is music to my ears. However, I was not granted that opportunity, nor did it come on automatic cars (to my knowledge) and now that I have the factory ground effects I think that it wouldn't fit anyway.

Getting back to your main point, the best place to start is from the block back, IMO. Get the performance gain you'll be after with headers and hi flow cats/cat deletes THEN work on changing up the rest of the exhaust. If I was going to do it over, I'd probably go this route.
You could most likely mod a NPP on yours. I think the hardest part would just be getting the air supply line from the manifold to the back of the system. I’m actually deleting my NPP system this week. I’ll tuck it away though since it’s original option to the build sheet on mine.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #31
Jayjellyfish212

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
This is a very good point that you make. I think why myself & others drank the muffler delete Kool Aid is it is pretty hyped on this forum. And of course the videos sound okay when you play them too. What I have learned is no one does a video of their muffler delete from inside of the car only the outside.

My complaint is mine sounded like ass on the inside where I reside so it had to be corrected. I should have done an in car video & posted it up for others before reverting back. The drone argh! And no it wasn't the AFM as its tuned out long ago....
I hear ya.. honestly unless you can hear an exhaust in person, it’s to questionable if you would like what someone else has modified for the exhaust by video etc. some people love loud and some like medium etc. or quite systems. So hard to really tell by videos.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #32
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Had Jba shorty headers. Solo high flow cats. Magnaflow non catted x pipe with Magnaflow muffler delete axleback exhaust. Sure it was loud it had that combo for a longtime. But regardless it lacks tone and refinement. Its loud bit once you put a quality catback the difference is big.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:34 AM   #33
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjellyfish212 View Post
I’ll tell ya it was loud as hell inside my car during the time I did a full rear seat delete and gutted the trunk after doing my exhaust mods...
I did the exact same thing to my first Camaro, a '67 rust bucket I bought in '78. Drove like that for over a year.

Man, you brought back some memories...now if I could only bring back some hearing...
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #34
DSEowner

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Special Edition
I would recommend the Borla cat back exhaust. I went with the Type-S because I wanted it to sound like a muscle car but not obnoxious. I have no drone and it sounds exactly like I hoped. I went through Summit Racing but they matched the Amazon price.

LS3, 6-spd w/ Hurst short shifter, navigation, sunroof, Boston Acoustics, and Borla Type-S cat back exhaust.
DSEowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #35
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
I've got catless longtubes, an x-pipe and stock mufflers on my L99 and it sounds great. Not obnoxious when driving around, quiet on the highway until I punch it, and no drone/pops, etc.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #36
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Ok, y’all know my stance on the muff-del (think it’s ok) but who has not liked it, went out and spent the $6-800 on something like a Borla axle back, only to find down the road that particular muffler ADDITION didn’t do it for them either? I’m reading unless you start at the motor, cat back, etc., it’s not the sound most want. I have considered the Borla AB. Sorry if that was covered here - or somewhere before.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #37
DSEowner

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Ok, y’all know my stance on the muff-del (think it’s ok) but who has not liked it, went out and spent the $6-800 on something like a Borla axle back, only to find down the road that particular muffler ADDITION didn’t do it for them either? I’m reading unless you start at the motor, cat back, etc., it’s not the sound most want. I have considered the Borla AB. Sorry if that was covered here - or somewhere before.
Go Borla cat back. Otherwise you have to remove the resonators with axle back anyway to make it sound decent (per Borla). I just did it right the first time with the cat back. But if you have the time and money to play around more power to you.

The Touring was way too quiet for me, the ATAK was super aggressive and sounds awesome but I'm not looking for that where I live (i.e., ticket magnet), so I went mid-range with the Type-S. BTW it might be my imagination but I am quite sure I picked up some torque and maybe a little HP. Main thing for me was getting rid of that stock exhaust. I kept it in case (God forbid) I sell it and someone wants to bring it back to 100% stock.

I got mine at a great price. PM me and I will tell you more but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post prices on here. Not wanting to piss off the moderators as I am new and want to stick around.

LS3, 6-spd w/ Hurst short shifter, navigation, sunroof, Boston Acoustics, and Borla Type-S cat back exhaust.
DSEowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:23 PM   #38
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
I did headers first and I don't think it made it THAT much louder...

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #39
Jayjellyfish212

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
I did headers first and I don't think it made it THAT much louder...
Best place to start from .

You won’t get much sound change but that is where you are getting most Performance changes really out of the entire exhaust. The sound changes from the cats when factory cats are changed to high flow cats or cat deletes. Either choice on cat set up regardless is where one gains huge sound changes and obtains the American muscle sound we all love. Anything after the cats is just preference to tone you hear. Muffler delete is awesome but not for everyone. However the weight reduction from muffler deletes is 17 lbs total saving on a gen5 1LE that has NPP. I know this because I just did mine with a muffler delete... I would guess the standard SS stock mufflers would be approximately 20-25 lbs total weight reduction doing muffler deletes.

I usually tell most people to save yourself the hassle on the stock system by getting long tubes and just do HFC or cat deletes and work from there because you will be surprised what a restriction the stock cats are. A lot of people are usually happy with the sound following mods of the stock cats alone and save a bunch in the long run.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #40
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Very simple... most love it because it's the cheapest way to add loud.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #41
Zezima

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
You mean to tell me when you take the mufflers off the car it will sound like shit and have no tone? YOU KIDDING ME, CHAMP WHO WOULD OF THUNK
Zezima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #42
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
best exhaust i ever had
1976 Monza 350/400 hp, with hooker Headers/ 32" pipe with turn downs no mufflers
At 55 in Fourth gear, cars rpm was about 1200 rpm, 2.98 rear gears
car was fairly quite at this speed, drop to second at 60 all hell broke lose.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote