Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-10-2023, 10:11 PM   #15
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelyo View Post
The only thing I can offer is that 622 number was on the 7th or 8th pull so the car was hot. I believe we also ran out of fuel pump so to speak. My tuner did expect it to make more but was thinking the heat was an issue.

It has a brand new stock ZL1 pump so my next step is to add an auxiliary fuel pump to solve the fuel supply issue. https://dsxtuning.com/collections/au...nt=58596002379

Also going to add spacer plates for the blower to lower the temps as well. I might research adding a higher flowing intercooler pump from prospeed https://www.prospeedautosports.com/c...pro-09-07-1005

Let me know what you think?
I would hope people who know more than me will offer you some help also.
The ZL1 intercooler pump isn't on the weak side and pump change only I think hasn't been found beneficial. A separate tank is debateable. Better bigger intercooler radiator might help slightly. Interchiller good for hp but a truely complete kit I don't think is available. Spacer plates debateable.
Heat build up is a problem and could cause the loss of hp. He would see the air temps going up to know for sure. On the same note he should see fuel pressure logs to know if it was running out of pump pressure or not. I didn't recall seeing a boost a pump. I know from experience e85 and no boost a pump drops fuel pressure on stock zl1 pump and needs something. Another member mentioned his Illinios tuner did his with a bap and no aux pumps and some people get their underware in a bunch over that. I run e85 with bap and fuel pressure not dropping but depends on mods. Max mods will need more pump than a bap. If I add a pump I am leaning to the DSX aux. I like the twin pumps that drop in tank but costs and don't really want to hassle with axess hole cutting and all that. It's unclear how much extra power the stock fuel pump control module can drive twin or 3 pumps and don't like having so much extra circuitry on my nonrace car.

Last edited by silversleeper; 09-10-2023 at 10:25 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:49 AM   #16
sbelyo

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
On the same note he should see fuel pressure logs to know if it was running out of pump pressure or not.
This is what happened. The FPCM commanded more than what the pump was putting out.

I thought about the BAP, but worry about feeding extra voltage to a stock pump. It's so labor intensive if the pump dies. I think I'll just add the DSX pump in a few months. That and the plates should net more gains I think.
sbelyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:52 AM   #17
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelyo View Post
This is what happened. The FPCM commanded more than what the pump was putting out.

I thought about the BAP, but worry about feeding extra voltage to a stock pump. It's so labor intensive if the pump dies. I think I'll just add the DSX pump in a few months. That and the plates should net more gains I think.

Been running a JMS BAP since 2014, no issues. If you understand how they work you set a ramp to increase the voltage in coordination with the electronic pedal, so you aren't supplying excessive voltage all the time. And even when you are at max on JMS you are within the Max Spec of the GM Pump.

ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 02:46 PM   #18
sbelyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post

Been running a JMS BAP since 2014, no issues. If you understand how they work you set a ramp to increase the voltage in coordination with the electronic pedal, so you aren't supplying excessive voltage all the time. And even when you are at max on JMS you are within the Max Spec of the GM Pump.

Wow, good to know. I'll check that out
Old 09-11-2023, 05:06 PM   #19
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I am impressed you got 622 on E85 and pump alone what was the duty cycle? With a bigger fuel pump or aux pump you should see 50-70hp difference between 93 and E85 with a decent duty cycle. A boost a pump is not what you want for E85 if you want to make any power.

As far as a BAP shortening the life of the pump. Too low of a voltage is far more damaging to a motor due to increased current causing overheating than higher voltage which lowers the needed current + it is only running at higher voltages for a few seconds when needed not all the time.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 06:58 PM   #20
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
As far as a BAP shortening the life of the pump. Too low of a voltage is far more damaging to a motor due to increased current causing overheating than higher voltage which lowers the needed current + it is only running at higher voltages for a few seconds when needed not all the time.[/QUOTE]

Exactly..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 08:28 PM   #21
sbelyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
I am impressed you got 622 on E85 and pump alone what was the duty cycle?
Thanks!

I believe the duty cycle was 70% as the fuel pressure dropped. The command amount was more than what was being supplied.

Looks like I'll just get the aux pump kit. I'm thinking that adding the manifold and lid spacers can hurt either. I'll try to do both at the same time but it's gonna take me a few months to save up and come up with an excuse to disappear for 12 hours

This is also an auto trans, what do you think it's making at the crank?