Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Sizeth3

Drives: 1982 Chevrolet Camaro
Making the decision between the v6 and v8

I am sure this has been asked before, I have searched and read a few of the previous posts.

I am trying to decide between the v6 and the v8 2010 Camaro.

Can you guys tell me what pushed you one way or the other? In the past, it wouldn't have even been a question. The v6 makes 305 horsepower, though, not sub 200 like older v6's (and some older v8's lol). Every review I have read so far, praises both v6 and v8, but always comes back to say how awesome the v6 is. How much of a surprise it is as far as how fun it is.

What made you lean one way or the other? Especially those of you who already have a previous generation Camaro. Are you selling the Camaro you already have? I have an 82 Camaro that should run close to 10's when I put it back together, I have had it since I was in high school, not sure I want to part with it...
Sizeth3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I went with the V8 because I love horsepower and torque. I have a 1993 LT1 Camaro which had 275hp stock, it now has 323rwhp so I can't go backwards. You can always upgrade the V6, but I want to start ahead of the game. If the new Camro was never approved I'd be driving the 2008 Cadillac CTS which is very similar to the V6 Camaro. The DI V6 engine is awesome and it's very economical. If you have a 10 second car will you be happy in the V6?
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
vm1971

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizeth3 View Post
I am sure this has been asked before, I have searched and read a few of the previous posts.

I am trying to decide between the v6 and the v8 2010 Camaro.

Can you guys tell me what pushed you one way or the other? In the past, it wouldn't have even been a question. The v6 makes 305 horsepower, though, not sub 200 like older v6's (and some older v8's lol). Every review I have read so far, praises both v6 and v8, but always comes back to say how awesome the v6 is. How much of a surprise it is as far as how fun it is.

What made you lean one way or the other? Especially those of you who already have a previous generation Camaro. Are you selling the Camaro you already have? I have an 82 Camaro that should run close to 10's when I put it back together, I have had it since I was in high school, not sure I want to part with it...
nothing less than a V8 SS when it comes to this type of monster.
all the others are equally cool, impressive, and im sure peppy...
just my personal preference.

V
Old 04-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS

Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
Some of us discussed this here: Why are you getting the V6?

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
nine1wing

Drives: 2011 Camaro
When you accept that there is always someone out there with a faster car, theres no going wrong with a v6
nine1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
It's all about the $$Money$$.

How deep is your wallet? If you can afford the V8 then get it. If your tight on the cash then the v6. Simple equation. Whatever you do don't stress your budget leave some breathing room as a rule of thumb.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
The V6 is a good cheaper alternative to the SS considering the 300hp V6 and since the V6 Camaros have the same good looks as the V8's. It also depends on just how much the performance aspect matters to you because even with the 300 horses that the Camaro V6 has you probably won't be able to outrun the V8 cars of this decade in stock form & it won't have that V8 rumble. I drove a 98 3.8 200hp V6 Camaro before my Formula and I thought that was very impressive performance wise for being a V6 car. The new Camaro is a bit heavier and has the extra 100 horses but I would expect it to surprise and be fairly quick, but at the same time it's not going to be like the LS3 in the SS. Also with the V6 don't expect to be as fast or faster than the Mustang GT's of this decade and the GM cars with the LSx series engines. Until the V6's are on the street who knows just how fun of fast they will be. I will say though if you can afford the price tag of the SS then go with the SS if your set on the new Camaro over building you 82 to be a 10 sec car.

There is no replacement for displacement, especially considering that the V8 in the SS has the LSx based 426HP LS3 engine.

I myself would give up my LS1 powered Formula for the SS but I wouldn't give it up for a V6.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
V8. Owned a V6 Camaro once. Wanted the V8 the entire time. Never did enjoy it. Decision made up. I'll never try to bring a knife to a gun fight ever again.
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Eddy9

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Either way, you can't make a mistake. As others have said, go with the one you can afford.
Eddy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Go with the big dog the V8 trust me you will regret it later if you don't
Old 04-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #11
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I forgot to mention that I had the opportunity to drive a V6 Camaro last weekend on a small demo track. It was a very nice drive, I wasn't able to melt the tires off the line but I didn't get to turn off the traction control. It handled nice and was pretty quick around the track. I am not a professional driver, although I thought I had decent driving skills until but that chnaged after I rode shotgun in a C6 Corvette driven by a Bondorant instructor, dam those guys can drive.

As somenody mentioned above, if you have the money go for the V8. If you can't afford it right now do the V6 for a few years and look for a used V8 later once it's affordable.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
well I've never had a camaro before but I can say we are kind of in the same shoes. We both have a V8 waiting in the wings for track use and some street driving. You said you should have close to a 10 second car when your done with it. That right there is your go fast car, so i don't see why you would need another V8 as a daily driver.

I think 304HP is more then enough for a daily driver, and not to mention the better gas mileage, and cheaper price.

this is my reasoning for not getting a v8 as a daily driver, though the price point is probably the most convincing for me. I always say if I win the lotto, then I would probably get an L99, just cause I can afford it no problem. But until this happens the V6 is my primary concern.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
CamaroPR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
I went for the V6, it is cheaper, gives you better fuel economy, looks just about the same with the RS package and power is not an issue with the new engine!
CamaroPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
im getting the v8 cuz i want a muscle car, not a rice burner