Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-29-2018, 12:36 AM   #1
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
rough roads killing tail light bulbs?

so i have a inturesting problem. i have been for the last 3 months playing with the tail lights on my car. i keep losing the filaments in the bulbs.

I 1st thought the sun was the cause, cali heat and humidity plays fun games with electronics on cars. but i noticed a pattern later that week the light worked again after hitting a bad bump, and then stopped the next pothole i hit.

my question is more directed to OFF Road Folks. whats a good brand with strong filaments that are not going to come loose from a bad potholes or rough roads. or should i saw screw it and invest in LED tail lights and regulators for the canbus system to prevent hyper flashing.

PLEASE NOTE. i live in a very old part of the city some homes are celebrating there Centennial Birthdays with parts of the road looking half that age at 35-45mph posted speeds it feels like your doing 50-65 on a rough roads, the freeway is a lost cause it has more problems then being poorly maintained.

its a easy problem to deal with its just annoying every couple weeks to change bulbs.

for the duel filaments bulbs, the turn signals keeps breaking off leaving the running light working. no burn marks on the legs or anything to suggest power voltage to high, and its normally one bulb. the filament is always on the bottom of the glass fully in tacked as well no burs or indication of power spike?
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I would go with L.E.D.'s.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #3
riozlander
that guy <--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I would go with L.E.D.'s.
that is what i am thinking as well. now it makes sense why i see a lot of 5th gens with LED tails where i live. think i might upgrade to that and wrap the old stock housings up for safe keepings. gona be looking for some used LED housings now lol

i was hoping some folks on here might of known a good brand name or recommended brand used in off reading.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #4
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by riozlander View Post
that is what i am thinking as well. now it makes sense why i see a lot of 5th gens with LED tails where i live. think i might upgrade to that and wrap the old stock housings up for safe keepings. gona be looking for some used LED housings now lol

i was hoping some folks on here might of known a good brand name or recommended brand used in off reading.

You don't need to change the housings . Just the bulbs. Unless you like spending a lot of money .
Old 10-04-2018, 01:04 AM   #5
riozlander
that guy <--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
You don't need to change the housings . Just the bulbs. Unless you like spending a lot of money .
good point there doesn't seem to be any tail lights worth buying.
really wanted the technostalgia tails........but also read some warnings on their quality control issues.

while i am at it i mind as well just invest in to replacing all the lights with LED. ill have to hit up a local auto electric shop and have them wire the resistors in and wire the CCFLs, only thing not working on my car never wired them when i switch the headlight housings over to projectors.
i want to pick up a set of switchback LED's from diode dynamics for the front signal lights. moneys probably gonna be better spent doing all this little stuff.

the only wiring guy i know has his hands full with a accidental baby on the way
still taking bets with friends if it will be a shotgun wedding
Old 10-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #6
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 Z28, 2015 SS & 2017 SS
We sell led bulbs and a plug and play harness so the bulbs will work with no issues or bulb out warning lights. Everything installs with no modifications to your car - just swap bulbs and install harness with no wiring.
https://www.screamingchicken.com/pro...ght-bulbs.html

bigwormgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:15 AM   #7
riozlander
that guy <--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwormgraphix View Post
We sell led bulbs and a plug and play harness so the bulbs will work with no issues or bulb out warning lights. Everything installs with no modifications to your car - just swap bulbs and install harness with no wiring.
https://www.screamingchicken.com/pro...ght-bulbs.html

well dang brother thanks for the super helpful link. id poke fun at the web name, but when i was heavy on the crown victoria forums there was a specialty shop called ADTR...........Angry Duck Tofu Racing. even got stainless works to make full exhaust systems and much more for the panther platform.

yeah in my own head i tried to price out the LED and the shop cost it comes out to the same for the pre bought plug and play kit.
gonna go with profile peak from the looks in the pic's they have up, looks close to stock but a bit brighter. not a big person on showing reasons to be pulled over.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #8
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
I would definitely change them to L.E.D. lights or find a better place to live that takes care of their roads. I know hoe you feel. I live in Wheeling, WV and are roads are a freakin' mess. I won't take my Challenger out until they fix all the pot holes in the roads from the winter.
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
riozlander
that guy <--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
I would definitely change them to L.E.D. lights or find a better place to live that takes care of their roads. I know hoe you feel. I live in Wheeling, WV and are roads are a freakin' mess. I won't take my Challenger out until they fix all the pot holes in the roads from the winter.
it sucks doesn't it lol. the painful part is the audit just hit for OCTA orange country transportation authority. they spent 30k+ on 5 signs 6k+ each including installation cost with is one guy to put the thing down at construction areas. the signs read your tax money at work

im kinda getting to the point where once a week i shot gun my resume out to other states for work in security. don't care if i have to live in my camaro for a short time ive already measured the inside by taking out the passenger seat i have enough room to sleep only just im 6.3 tall.
(off topic)
even works not gone so well. long story short i had some dude try to attack me at work when i asked him to please leave the property we do not allow people to camp in there cars over night for liability reasons. he tried to run me over with his car forcing me to have no option but to defend my self and put my fist threw his driver side window. they guy is trying to charge me for kidnapping holding him hostage assault and battery along with property damage and assault with a deadly weapon. then my CEO of my company saw the video footage and took me off grave yard and took away 40 hours a week and bumped me down to 32 hours a week saying he is afraid im to violent...... dislocated my wrist pinky finger got some cuts from the window as well. money wise not able to move at the moment Name:  42142859_1891285737622179_8197635414509486080_n.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  76.3 KB
wish this was a joke i really really do gotta keep moving forward