Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #15
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
I agree with snowman, 6×9's aren't worth the time in any quality audio build. Lots of 6×9 adaptors out there to put a comp set in. That would be your best bet. Low end is made for subs not 6x9's leave it there.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #16
Little Walter

Drives: ZL1
I hear all of you guys, but I've been purchasing and installing high end stereos for about 35 years now. I just installed the Hertz MPX 690.3 PRO in my car which were already being driven by an Alpine PDX-F6. Yes there is a substantial difference with this 6X9 over the OEM and the JBL 6X9 which does add to the complete soundstage. Now I am sure that many of you have been in this business for years as well with lots of experience probably better than me. I do not think anyone is arguing that a Sub will deliver lower cleaner Bass because we will all agree that a 6X9 is not comparable to a Sub. But my experience with a high quality 6.5 vs 6X9 is the 6X9 have always delivered a better lower bass. Which I like both but in the rear a quality 6X9 have delivered. I've been able to get the 6.5 to distort on the lower frequency spectrum before the 6X9. I have Focal, Jl and the Hertz but the Hertz 690.3 Pro is not just a run of the mill 6X9 you'll be pretty impressed with some clean power driving it, however it's definitely not a Sub.
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #17
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Yeah...who cares if 6x9 are not as sonically perfect as 6.5. It's a car. A car is one of the worst environments to critically listen to music. I can appreciate the hobby, the passion to drive to the absolute best you can get, but that's not me.

If I get the itch, I'll start with better amplification with the stock BA crap. If that doesn't scratch it, I'll get some 6x9 JL for the rear, some decent JL component for the front.

If I want to go crazy about perfecting sound, it will be at home, in an acoustically treated room, where I can chase diminishing returns just as well as I could with a car system
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:36 PM   #18
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
The op wants the very best and ultimate. As you just stated 6x9 is better at lows but not as good with the highs. In my opinion to do the very best/ultimate and only have to do it once, would be get an adaptor put a proper comp set in, and add a sub stage.

Also I care how my car sounds. as does everyone in this subsection or we wouldn't be changing the audio equipment that came from the factory.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #19
bkevind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
The op wants the very best and ultimate. As you just stated 6x9 is better at lows but not as good with the highs. In my opinion to do the very best/ultimate and only have to do it once, would be get an adaptor put a proper comp set in, and add a sub stage.

Also I care how my car sounds. as does everyone in this subsection or we wouldn't be changing the audio equipment that came from the factory.
I get it, really. I get caught up too easily in researching and going for the best options, but I wind up reaching diminishing returns quickly, the cost goes up considerably for marginal improvements trying to reach that nth of improvement.

I guess I read it differently. I thought he asked what are the best 6x9's but it quickly devolved into implying that 6x9 are completely worthless. Maybe an alternative perspective, an alternate path is ok?

I care as well, to a point. What about the philosophy that the front stage is far more important than the rears? Leave the rears alone, maybe improve the amp for them. Significantly upgrade the components in the front with appropriate amp, a clean powerful sub to round it out. I guess that's my typical path. I surely don't want competition level SPL when 90-100dB is more than enough for my old tired ears.

My previous post was pretty useless I admit, I was escaping from a stupid fight with the wife and was irrationally lashing out at what was in front of me
Old 02-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #20
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
I get it, really. I get caught up too easily in researching and going for the best options, but I wind up reaching diminishing returns quickly, the cost goes up considerably for marginal improvements trying to reach that nth of improvement....
There is absolutely nothing on the market today that can compare to the quality of the Infinity Kappa 693.11i for the price. Physically impossible. Legendary speaker quality that manufactures have been attempting to replicate for decades and failing miserably. Do not be fooled by the $120 street price, you will have to reach up and purchase alternatives with MSRP's beyond $700 before you achieve even a marginal improvement in sound quality.

To dump on my own parade however, many people hate Infinity and there are brand loyalists and ears that comprehend music differently. I'll point you to three alternatives I've enjoyed hearing but I could never justify the price on due to inferior pricing, lower specs and ratings; Hertz MPX690.3 ($500), Focal PC710 ($400+), Image Dynamics XS 69 ($500+).

At the end of the day, it is your ear, your car and your money. If you like the Hertz and using high end Hertz up front with no subs, absolutely, pick up the MPX690s. Dropping $1,500 on a pair of Focal KX3s? Go get the PC710 for your rears and some serious mid-bass.

You aren't going to get these answers from any retail shop though, they will always push their own product either lying to themselves, to you or both.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #21
DrP

Drives: 2013 2SS in AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
There is absolutely nothing on the market today that can compare to the quality of the Infinity Kappa 693.11i for the price. Physically impossible. Legendary speaker quality that manufactures have been attempting to replicate for decades and failing miserably. Do not be fooled by the $120 street price, you will have to reach up and purchase alternatives with MSRP's beyond $700 before you achieve even a marginal improvement in sound quality.

To dump on my own parade however, many people hate Infinity and there are brand loyalists and ears that comprehend music differently. I'll point you to three alternatives I've enjoyed hearing but I could never justify the price on due to inferior pricing, lower specs and ratings; Hertz MPX690.3 ($500), Focal PC710 ($400+), Image Dynamics XS 69 ($500+).

At the end of the day, it is your ear, your car and your money. If you like the Hertz and using high end Hertz up front with no subs, absolutely, pick up the MPX690s. Dropping $1,500 on a pair of Focal KX3s? Go get the PC710 for your rears and some serious mid-bass.

You aren't going to get these answers from any retail shop though, they will always push their own product either lying to themselves, to you or both.
Snowman - My peeves with the stock sound is poor voice quality (speech or singing). I can get past the tinny highs and limited bottom end (what can you really expect in a car anyway, plus the under hood sound system is what I have more interest in), but when they interfere with being able to hear words clearly it just chaps my hide. Would those Infinity Kappas fix that? Would I need to upgrade speakers besides the 6x9s and would the BA amp be adequate?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #22
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Snoman nails it, as usual. It's refreshing to see someone who actually knows something in these days of overly vocal people who THINK they know everything because they read it on the internet. Lots of internet PhD's in everything, it seems.
I agree 99% but the 6x9 I wouldn't say is completely useless... it's just rarely the right way to solve a problem. If ease of bolting up and maybe a little more bass at the expense of overall quality is all you want- yeah, whatever- just get some. Personally, I've used the oversize 6.5's and even 8" in those places.
The "need" for massive rear fill most people want has always confused me, though. I don't want a lot of rear fill and haven't used more than head unit power for rear fill in the last 20 years... I just concentrate on a proper front stage.
Back in the mid 80's I ran some Cerwin Vega 6x9's with a Coustic amp- and it pounded harder than most people ever had heard in a car, as it was before subs were widely marketed for car audio. Modern oversize 6.5/6.75 drivers can replicate what it USED to take a 6x9 to bring for bottom end.
The quest for BIG rear fill still doesn't appeal, though.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #23
bkevind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post

Thanks for the knowledge Snoman. So, lets say out of laziness I put the 693.11i in the rear, what would be a good match for the front?
Old 03-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #24
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrP View Post
Snowman - My peeves with the stock sound is poor voice quality (speech or singing). I can get past the tinny highs and limited bottom end (what can you really expect in a car anyway, plus the under hood sound system is what I have more interest in), but when they interfere with being able to hear words clearly it just chaps my hide. Would those Infinity Kappas fix that? Would I need to upgrade speakers besides the 6x9s and would the BA amp be adequate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
Thanks for the knowledge Snoman. So, lets say out of laziness I put the 693.11i in the rear, what would be a good match for the front?
My pleasure and always glad to assist, thank you for the kind words.

Yes, the Kappa's will fix all of that and more. They are crystal clear at all volume levels. For the fronts I'd pick up the matching set, the 60.11cs though unfortunately, not compatible with the OEM BA amplifier. You will need a high quality 4 channel, the cleaner the better, minimum 50Wrms/ch into 2 ohms, but these beauties will handle well beyond 150wrms (I have mine on an A/B amp pushing 300wpc each @ 2ohm).
Old 03-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #25
Lawdog86

Drives: 2011 2SS Black w/Orange Stripes
I have settled on buying the Hertz Mille MLK 165.3 (6.5 components up front) and the Mille MPX 690.3 (6x9.) I would agree Snoman seems to really know his stuff, but i'm going to try it and at worst sell somebody the 6x9's later and change for the 6.5. Going to bridge the front and rears to the JL XD 400/4 amp and install the Pioneer 8200 head unit with the PACAudio Faceplate. Still running a single JL 12W7 in the back
Lawdog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #26
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
Where can we find adapters to convert the 6x9 to a component 6.5?
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #27
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
Where can we find adapters to convert the 6x9 to a component 6.5?
I usually build my own, will be cheaper than buying any converters.

Pick up a 2'x2' pre-cut 3/4" Birch from Home Depot/Lowe's and jigsaw them.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #28
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Excellent post, I am old school, so remember those days well. I was blowing up amps in the early 80s lol. Had the punch 45, another 90s amp I liked was the mtx 2150x, have used them a lot. Have a few now I bought for $50 on eBay.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote