Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
sstephen17

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS BRM
Issues after oil change to correct overfill

Sorry for the long post. 2014 LT RS automatic with catch can.

Background: Changed my own oil last week (second time I've ever done this). I overfilled it. Lots of white smoke came out of exhaust at start up. Engine was rough; kept surging forward and about 2k rpm then going back down. At over 40 mph the engine seemed to not want to go faster. Went back home. Tried draining oil but it came out in drips so I decided to just take it to the dealership the next day (closed on Sunday) instead of further messing things up.

Dealer checked codes, nothing came up. Asked if any check engine lights came on while I drove (none) and if the engine temperature was elevated (it didn't go more than halfway up the engine temp gauge but I only drove about 3 miles to get to the dealer and never went over 30 mph). They did an inspection of the car. Recommended that they drain and do an oil change again.

Dealer said they drained more than 3 extra quarts of oil. The replaced filter and put Dexos oil (I had used Mobil 1) and car ran fine when I picked it up.

The next day (after about 14 hours of not driving it), the car went back to the surging/slipping issues, both when in reverse or in drive. It runs idle, then when I give it gas the RPM goes up to about 2k then drops and then the car moves normally. This continues when I stop the car at a light/sign, then try to accelerate. I try to be slow and smooth when accelerating, not just stepping hard on the gas. Feels like a transmission issue but I'm certainly no expert. This issue goes away seemingly when the car is "warmed up" is the best way I can describe it. My commute to the train station is 8 miles. After about two or three miles, car starts running normally without the surging.

I've been out of town a few days since then and will be out of all of next week so I don't have a chance to take it to the dealership. My worry is that they won't be able to replicate this issue because the car is warmed up by the time I get there. I've emptied my catch can and have checked the oil levels several times this past week and it reads just below the max line on the dip stick.

Any idea what might be a cause? I'm strapped for cash for the next few months and hope that it isn't a major issue. It is more of an annoyance than anything but I'm afraid of making things worse by driving it. Thanks for reading and again apologies for a long post.
sstephen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
How did you overfill by 3 quarts? And what's this about the oil coming out in drips?

Did you drain the transmission instead of the engine?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
radar1972

Drives: 2012 IOM SS/RS
I think Rock-it Man is on to something: check the transmission fluid level.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
sstephen17

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS BRM
Thanks. I'll have the dealer check the transmission fluid.
sstephen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #6

Drives: 15 2SS RS 1LE, 18 Sonic LT, Z71
Yeah, sounds like you drained the transmission instead of the oil?
1110110 is offline   Reply With Quote