Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
adamx

Drives: 2010 camaro
How to remove light scuffing on exterior?

Saw some videos about magic eraser, but even after some elbow grease it didn't remove it. These are real light scuffs, have to look at a certain angle to see them fully, but when the light shines just right, everyone sees them. Some of it looks like clear scuffs, others sort of like slight discoloration or staining.

Anyone dealt with these? Do I need to apply something to remove any possible wax etc first?

Thanks.
adamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Please never use a magic eraser on your car, it's pretty much sandpaper.

You just need to do some paint correction.

I highly recommend this intro package to detailing: http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/4...le-7424xp.html

&

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/4...ish-combo.html

Wash your car twice, claybar the car, use those, then you follow up with a sealant and wax, and you are good to go!

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
adamx

Drives: 2010 camaro
This is too minor for that investment. I know what a magic eraser is, it's abrasive, but so is polish.
adamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
Tom And Cheryl

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible, ThumperII
I wouldn't think about using a magic eraser on our car. I suggest that you look for a good body shop or detailer and have them do the paint correction. We brought a rotary polisher from Harbor Freight for around $50.00 than brought the Porter Cable backing plate and pads from Adams. A little cheaper than the Porter Cable polisher.
Tom And Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamx View Post
This is too minor for that investment. I know what a magic eraser is, it's abrasive, but so is polish.
My apologies, I thought you were asking for some detailing help...

You can attempt to do it all by hand, but you should use the same products, a good quality pad, and work in the compound/polish.

Or if you want to do it on a cheaper route, you can head to walmart or autozone and look for Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. That's a pretty decent off-the-shelf compound for light scratching. Always follow up with a wax.

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 03-06-2018 at 08:56 AM.
ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
after years of hand waxing,polishing compounds,etc. i broke down and bought a kit with a 6 inch orbital polisher,pads and polish/compound/wax.it seems like a big investment but if you have more than one car and like them to look good your arms and hands will thank you...especially if you have arthritis.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Please never use a magic eraser on your car, it's pretty much sandpaper.

You just need to do some paint correction.

I highly recommend this intro package to detailing: http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/4...le-7424xp.html

&

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/kits/4...ish-combo.html

Wash your car twice, claybar the car, use those, then you follow up with a sealant and wax, and you are good to go!
Thanks!!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamx View Post
Saw some videos about magic eraser, but even after some elbow grease it didn't remove it. These are real light scuffs, have to look at a certain angle to see them fully, but when the light shines just right, everyone sees them. Some of it looks like clear scuffs, others sort of like slight discoloration or staining.

Anyone dealt with these? Do I need to apply something to remove any possible wax etc first?

Thanks.
Do you have a machine polisher?
Can you post up a pic of the scuffs?
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote