Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #43
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Willy you really wanted to buy the Calloway in the first place and that's why your so butt hurt. SO figure this; no rear diff cooler, no mag ride, 8.6 " rear diff versus 9.9", different heavy duty trans, different ECU, different suspension, a ENGINE built to take the 1.9 liter versus the 2.9 liter on a stock Hypereutectic piston engine that's way over blown and must be turned down for its potential. ETC ETC ETC,

sure Calloways are nice, remember them when I bought my second fifth gen, one was on the show room floor, a very slow mover ……….. not worth the price IMO as others have stated but had some nice features, always liked the ones with the see through window to the blower....and the zl1s......waiting list, was on one once with a deposit but a dealership moved and then did not get my Crystal Red or my options and I said F U give me my money and went to another farther away for what I wanted...much higher volume dealer..Which turned out to be just a regular SS to build with a stick and dual mode with the 13 upgrades....Because $$$$$ matters always.

Sure it was not a zl1 but hey I knew their shortcomings also, bearing failures on the blowers early on , under blown, etc.... Everything is a package, you get a good deal its all about what you want it for. And how much your planning on fixing it up in the future versus the abuse it will take.

Take it from the old timer there was a waiting list for a ZL1 low volume dealers only got so many in a year...WTF, and certain colors were hard to get also....and frankly I like the DUCK edition....LOL and the Hot wheels, and a couple other like the Synergy but hey the prices were stock too much for fluff...the usual case kind of like Ford was/is.....

You buy a Mustang but it needs the Track Pack, and upgraded brakes and etc etc and you cant get it with this color or this etc....Just as there is a Hellcat track pack for Challengers etc....

We have just simple things with GM like the 1le package...easier for most to understand rather than add on after add on.....And just so you know several have done up 4.10's and scattered them on the stock DIFF as the gear size is small.....
Just as some have blown and fired the rear pistons with large displacement blower on stock hypereutectic pistons...as always its Caveat Emptor..... And its not the HP that will move you its the torque. And you should read the article from HOTROD years ago.....so you can understand more.

SO good luck to you what ever you choose, I have about that rating BTW of the Callaway;( funny how they do engine stand ratings like the dealer not RWHP); and I am N/A stroked and forged and ported; I have a engine more capable of sporting the 2.9 liter blower...but hey its another thing to fix and not so daily driver friendly with a FI engine to go to the grocery store or simply a long cruise just as its worse with a manual in stop and go driving...LOL

SO do what your going to do; I did I traded for a 13 from a 11 just for upgrades and color and trans I wanted...… Your rear wheels should have help not hopping with come BMR trailing and toes if you get the Callaway …...and maybe a good LPW cover which I guess is in back order status...sold one I had laying around.....

And don't expect miracles with a slap on blower on a stock engine; BTW I have a Monster clutch Lt1s clutch even though the stock one was OK for a lot longer.....I have other internal upgrades; monitor and use special driven racing LS30 oil, etc etc and I am N/A....Well installed parts can still fail and do fail, and turning the boost up on those stock pistons well here's the article....Good Luck...… Callaway's filled a Niche for those not wanting to wait for a zl1 mostly IMO...

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp...parts-failure/

if you get it don't hammer it all the time do launches more in the 3500 rpm area at the track, spinning aint winnin and wheel hop can kill axles...… and if its was just a stock N/A engine gone cammed etc it would be fine with stock pump /fuel pressure system just more needing a good high volume not high pressure pump versus the article by hot rod...…

With any car its a collection of parts; if you cant take the heat …………………. Dusks had nice seats for some for others like me..not so much just like a spring edition in white....liked the green better; and damn them with the only adrenaline red seats for a anniversary issue with special badge...and I liked the side almost hockey stick stripe but I wanted and got the look I liked before the change of things to the 14 mid year changes as many did...…..Taste is subjective. And I can buy some red seat covers form leatherseats.com LOL someday...……. Just like a guy could most likely piece together all the badging and of course the blower and make a fake Calloway....Heck I used to do Old school SS clones in the day....and many still do. And feather that throttle, learn to save the day and get out of it if its getting squirrely or you bite it; especially if like many you cant resist the urge to drive with the nannies off...…..I drive with mine all the time and overwhelm them. Me I really liked something they did up called red flash......did not see them made in production though. And hated the "hot wheels" they put on it...LOL https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...maro&FORM=IGRE

I even liked the SEMA winner from American car craft but not so much the Shark teeth..LOL eventually I bought the gradient flame stripes....and they are very nice and wax-able..... https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...maro&FORM=IGRE

And yes my tuner....does sometimes put things into SEMA, but being a one guy Brainiac its usually his customer with deep pockets rides cause its all about the $$$$$$$
good old Tommy Wong. https://www.facebook.com/Wongs-Perfo...-115667950915/ drool...……… as one guys ultimate car is another guys beater. And yes my cars on there a couple times .

Last edited by christianchevell; 08-25-2018 at 09:35 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:17 PM   #44
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
It's interesting to read some of the comments here... "I've been doing this a long time", or "...there are better shops out there" and naming them without giving facts to back up opinion...

Anyways, I had a Callaway Camaro (have owned four Callaway vehicles and still own two), and ALWAYS got more money for them than a base vehicle, and they certainly retained a bunch of their "mod money" invested. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe I knew how to write a good ad, or perhaps they sold for a fair price and all were happy.

Whatever the case, they were all good performers, did what was expected, and not any of them gave me a problem or regrets. YMMV.
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:54 PM   #45
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I'm still confused as to how a 2SS is a base model
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:58 PM   #46
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Chris View Post
It's interesting to read some of the comments here... "I've been doing this a long time", or "...there are better shops out there" and naming them without giving facts to back up opinion...

Anyways, I had a Callaway Camaro (have owned four Callaway vehicles and still own two), and ALWAYS got more money for them than a base vehicle, and they certainly retained a bunch of their "mod money" invested. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe I knew how to write a good ad, or perhaps they sold for a fair price and all were happy.

Whatever the case, they were all good performers, did what was expected, and not any of them gave me a problem or regrets. YMMV.
Agree, had an '87 Callaway Twin-Turbo Corvette I picked up used from a good friend who admittedly gave me a great deal on it. When I sold it (at auction) 5 years later I got almost twice what I paid for it. It was a great vehicle; very well built, reliable and blast to drive. Never had any maintenance issues; all I ever did was regular servicing and ensured I kept it in great shape, despite putting 40K miles on it during those 5 years.