Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Question Upgrade brake lines?

I'm going to be taking my calipers off for painting. Since they will be off, I am tossing around upgrading the bake lines. . I do 1-2 track days a year. . . Not a lot as you can see...

opinions
Old 08-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
SS brake lines will give you a better feel when braking, but I wouldn't consider them necessary if you are only tracking a few times a year.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
A good set of stainless steel brake lines will definitely improve brake performance and feel on and off the track.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
As long as the calipers are coming off the car and lines are in your budget, there isn't a reason not to do them. Quality lines and quality fluid will be a nice performance upgrade to complement your cosmetic upgrade.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Agreed, if your already there, put some stainless steel lines on.

They definitely help on the track, but they also help a lot on the road, with shorter stopping distances and a steadier brake pedal, since the steel lines won't expand like the stock rubber lines do.
In an ABS stop, you won't get nearly the pulsation from the ABS motor as you do with stock lines.

Even if you never see the track, they're a great idea for safety, the extra few feet you get in a panic stop may be the difference between life and death for yourself, or the person in front of you...

- Jeremy.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
franknbeans
Whipped

I was considering putting on some red lines. Thoughts on ebay red lines?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-...#ht_1470wt_939
Old 08-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
franknbeans
Whipped

also, what kind of dot 5 fluid do you recommend?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
also, what kind of dot 5 fluid do you recommend?
The eBay brake lines look good, but the price point is so low it makes you wonder about quality.

I am a huge fan of Motul RBF 660 DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid. It is expensive, but it has an exceptionally high boiling point and has been the gold standard in racing for years.

Finally, when you change out your fluid take it to a shop with a Tech II unit and use the 2010 Corvette bleed cycle. This will cycle the abs pump to flush out the old fluid.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
I second the Motul fluid, its good stuff!

Yeah, Idunno about those eBay lines, they do look good, but who knows...

After their shipping cost, you could spend just a few dollars more, and we can get you some good quality Goodridge lines shipped, (they're in stock). The Goodridge lines are the only true DOT approved stainless steel lines available for our cars.
We also have the Motul RBF 660 fluid in stock, with free shipping too if ordered with the lines.

Give us a call for the coupon code!
- Jeremy

Last edited by JDP Sales; 08-09-2011 at 05:24 PM.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
I would stay away from DOT 5 fluid as most seals are not going to be compatible with the silicone based fluid.

DOT3, DOT4 are going to cover most of the race fluids on the market. The Motul RBF 600 has been one of the best fluids on the market to date and a very good upgrade from the factory fluid on both dry and wet boiling points.

Stainless lines are also a good upgrade as well. Not only from the heat protection (if the calipers get that hot), but also on pedal feel. The stainless lines also have less flex and are generally a smaller diameter line so it becomes more of a signal line giving you a quicker response time from the pedal to the caliper.

We carry the StopTech brand of lines for our cars here at the shop.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Finally, when you change out your fluid take it to a shop with a Tech II unit and use the 2010 Corvette bleed cycle. This will cycle the abs pump to flush out the old fluid.
I have a "one-man" brake bleeder that uses vacuum to draw the air/fluid out...is this safe and effective on the 5th-gen brake system?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tools/specialty+tools/one-person+brake+bleeder.do

Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
I have a "one-man" brake bleeder that uses vacuum to draw the air/fluid out...is this safe and effective on the 5th-gen brake system?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/tools/specialty+tools/one-person+brake+bleeder.do

It will work to bleed out the calipers, but it will not cycle the abs pump. The only way to do that in a shop is with a TECH II tool. There a a lot of 5th Gen owners that use the a one man bleeder and are satisfied with the results. I am very particular about suspension, wheels, tires and brakes because my driver's life and my family's lives depend on them.

Once you have changed over your fluid, including the abs pump, the one man bleeder for maintenance will do a good job. The first time through, especially with brake fluids that specifically state not to mix with other fluids, the only right way to do it is with a full TECH II bleed.

IMHO
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #13
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Gotcha. I have access to a Tech II via a buddy...I guess it's time to call in a favor.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #14
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
Gotcha. I have access to a Tech II via a buddy...I guess it's time to call in a favor.
Gee,and who would this buddy be? Buddy

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote