Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #1
QuackCocaine

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
White smoke coming from vents when heater is on

2013 2LT/RS

Running the heater has always smelled a little coolant-like since I got the car (used). Recently I turned the heater on and white smoke started coming out, which made me instantly connect the dots and assume the heater core is bad.

Thankfully I live in Florida so 90% of the year I have the AC on as cold as it can be set and I don't notice the smell or smoke at all, only when I turn the heater on. Checked coolant levels as well and they were extremely low. Refilled and keeping a close eye on it, but my coolant and oil temps have never been abnormal, usually sitting just below the middle vertical mark or on it after running for awhile (did a 15 hour road trip, never passed vertical).

I also haven't seen the fogged window or puddle or any sort of leak on the floor of the passenger side and its been almost a year since I got the car but only about a month since I found the smoke.

Not really wanting to drop $2k on the repair bill (from what I've heard) so I wanted to check with you guys to see if anyone else has had the same issue and maybe its not the heater core but rather another component nearby? I have also ran the car with the hood open (heater on and off) to check for any other signs of a coolant leak or the smoke but it only comes out of the vents.
QuackCocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Maybe it's that bag of blow you misplaced...j/k...couldn't resist with that screen name
Old 08-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
heater core would be my 1st guess.if you put defrost and the windshield just fogged up bingo. you can pressurized the cooling system to verify it.
good luck.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
You Aint Slick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Sounds like the heater core, I've read that you can just bypass it if you don't use heat.

Expensive repair bill, very invasive for a stupid core.
You Aint Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
QuackCocaine

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
UPDATE

Just got my car back, it was the heater core. Took it to a small shop I trust and they confirmed but said they wouldn't do it and I had to take it to a dealership. Dealership was slammed and it took a week just to get the tech to C/A my car. They also confirmed heater core. Quote was $2,400 for the repair. Involved pulling the glass and dash = 13 hours of work.

I had a rock chipped window that I planned on fixing next but ended up working out a deal to have insurance cover the labor / cost of a new windshield (FL covers deductible for this) so the window broke when they pulled it, insurance covered labor and glass.

Final price was $2000 because insurance covered all the glass work.
QuackCocaine is offline   Reply With Quote