Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-13-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
BloodUSMC
Blood Sucking War Machine

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS - A6
OBX LT headers install

Today I spent almost 8 hours installing my OBX Long tube headers.

here is my current concerns.

One side of the headers (passenger) I couldnt get 2 bolts back in. I think its the gasket out of place or maybe something else. But if it was the gasket how the did the other 5 bolts go in?

I also couldnt put any of the heat shields back. is that a problem?

I test drove it and my car sound like its cammed lol. Drove about 15 miles and no check engine light. No tune yet.

It is way too loud.

Personally I like my MRT V1 sound by itself. This just sounds way too loud and its not deep like before I installed it.

BTW. I left the stock resonators on.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
take off the resonators to change sound.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
Darkone

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT/RS SIM
I would suggest adding a Magnaflow resonated X-pipe for reducing the volume and making the sound deeper.

Suspension: Pedders full cradle bushings & radius rod inserts, BMR swaybars & endlinks, LSR trailing arms, Pfadt endlink brace
Darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I suggest getting those other two bolts in first. That is going to create a leak. Which two bolts. on the passenger side. I have read that it is worth the time to remove the alternator first to help get to those bolts.

I plan to install my OBX's in March. I bought new GM gaskets and new bolts for the install. All based on recommendations.

Good Luck and keep us informed about the bolt problem.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
BloodUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkone View Post
I would suggest adding a Magnaflow resonated X-pipe for reducing the volume and making the sound deeper.
thanks already got that suggestion but i wanted to install it asap lol.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
I have these installed with ARK DTS and love i used their gaskets and they worked fine for me. But i will tell you without the two bolts it will be leaking pretty bad and make it alot louder. And make the sound worse then it should be which two bolts can you not get in? And did you get your 02 sensors put back in?

2010 Black 2SS/RS - Stainless powers 1 7/8 LT headers, cold air inductions cai, Tuned by dynosteve, Feesler side skirt, Feesler Spoiler, Feesler carbon fiber bowties, H&R Lowering Springs.
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
It's insanely loud and raspy isn't it? But yhea, you really have to get those 2 bolts in, especially on headers. Try to get to the bolts from under the car.

Now Get rid of those factory resonators and put in the x
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
BloodUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeRidesAlone View Post
I have these installed with ARK DTS and love i used their gaskets and they worked fine for me. But i will tell you without the two bolts it will be leaking pretty bad and make it alot louder. And make the sound worse then it should be which two bolts can you not get in? And did you get your 02 sensors put back in?
Mine sound good when Im not pressing gas. but when i go at it it just sounds like a lawn mower.

the 2 next to the alternator. I am able to get in there but it seems something is block the bolt from going in which I think the gasket.

I really dont feel like taking off the other bolts lol. but I guess I got no choice. But this job is PITA (BIG TIME).

P.S My blood is all over the headers. I tried cleaning as much as possible before starting the car.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
BloodUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
It's insanely loud and raspy isn't it? But yhea, you really have to get those 2 bolts in, especially on headers. Try to get to the bolts from under the car.

Now Get rid of those factory resonators and put in the x
the problem isnt reaching the bolts. its the bolts going in. something is preventing which i think the gasket. (I used the factor ones)

and lol I used your suggestion I ordered the resonated pipe but didnt get it yet and will have to go to a shop to install it. I just couldnt wait to put on my headers.

btw. do I have to put back any of the heat shields?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I actually cut the heat shield on mine and only left the bottom part intact. I know some peoples take out the whole heat shield without any problems so you should be fine.

You will probably have to unloose every bolt and try to get every bolt down before actually tightening it down. I always tell peoples one mod I will not do again if I don't have to is those darn headers lol.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
BloodUSMC

Quote:
I actually cut the heat shield on mine and only left the bottom part intact. I know some peoples take out the whole heat shield without any problems so you should be fine.

You will probably have to unloose every bolt and try to get every bolt down before actually tightening it down. I always tell peoples one mod I will not do again if I don't have to is those darn headers lol.
ok thanks.

lol yeah never again. But it paid off. not only do they give you sound, and performance but they look really good on the car.

I'm not sure if I was weak at one point. but I almost broke my shoulder trying to get the 2 bolts that attach the exhaust to the old headers.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
You will probably have to unloose every bolt and try to get every bolt down before actually tightening it down.
This. If you loosen the bolts up and it is a lip on the gasket preventing the bolt from starting you should be able to adjust the gasket slightly with the bolts loose.
Good luck and enjoy.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodUSMC View Post
Mine sound good when Im not pressing gas. but when i go at it it just sounds like a lawn mower.

the 2 next to the alternator. I am able to get in there but it seems something is block the bolt from going in which I think the gasket.

I really dont feel like taking off the other bolts lol. but I guess I got no choice. But this job is PITA (BIG TIME).

P.S My blood is all over the headers. I tried cleaning as much as possible before starting the car.
Something can be said for leaving the stock cats on...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodUSMC View Post
ok thanks.

lol yeah never again. But it paid off. not only do they give you sound, and performance but they look really good on the car.

I'm not sure if I was weak at one point. but I almost broke my shoulder trying to get the 2 bolts that attach the exhaust to the old headers.

Talk about things breaking It took me a day and a half to complete my header swap and probably suffered for that following week with pain all over my body. I still have blood stains on my header that will not go away from when I cut my finger trying to get to some of those bolts lol.

It wasn't as bad as having to only take out 4 bolts on my suby right behind the turbo to replace the downpipe though. The only thing with these STi's is that everything look like it's been cramped in and there's ablsolutely almost zero room to work in. our camaro is heaven compared to a suby. I'm not even going to go there as to what has to be done to take out those horizontal headers lol.

I hope you got rid of all the stains on the header before starting the car.