Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Adam's New Flex System: Detailed Chevy Tahoe

Sooo I got this new toy, some of you may have heard of it - the Flex 3401 VRG. I needed a vehicle to go to town on, I called my mother in law and asked if I could use their Tahoe for a write up.

Products used:

Wash-
Adam's Shampoo
Adam's Foam Gun
Adam's Fender Brush
Adam's Boars Hair Brush
Adam's Lugnut Brush
Adam's Jumbo Wash Pad
Adam's All Purpose Cleaner
Adam's Green Wheel Cleaner
Adam's Detail Spray
Adam's Great White Drying Towel

Polish-
Flex 3401 VRG
Adam's Flat Pad Kit
Adam's Severe Swirl Remover

Adam's Swirl and Haze Remover
Adam's Fine Machine Polish

Trim / Tires-
Adam's In & Out Spray
Adam's Super VRT
Adam's Invisible Undercarriage Spray

Finish-
Adam's Brilliant Glaze
Adam's Americana

Here's a shot of my new Adam's goodies! Sorry the SSR didn't make the shot:

And now - on to our test subject - Midnight Blue '98 Tahoe, here's the before's:

I started in the usual fashion, All purpose cleaner to clean the tires and fender wells; green wheel cleaner to clean the wheels:

Followed with a thorough foam down:

Post wash you it was easy to tell this Tahoe has been washed with dawn for the last 12 years by the complete lack of beading during the rinse:

After the rinse I clayed the truck (and threw away the clay bar post use):

Now lets inspect the damage:

Prep for a video shoot:

I shot a video during this detail with Dylan on Flex Vs. PC.. (video is experiencing technical difficulties, may be lost forever ) The same process was followed with each machine, SSR+Green, SHR+Orange, FMP+White, the flex knocked out the damage in no time, while the PC achieved great results, It would have taken another pass to achieve the same results the flex had already accomplished. Here is a 50/50 of the Flex vs PC, Flex on the left, PC on the right - control in the middle:

Moving on to the very thirsty trim, SVRT and I&O made quick work of it:

After a coat of Brilliant Glaze, it was topped with a coat of Americana:

Dad and Claire helped with the finishing touches:

Can't finish a detail without a Dylan shot - Family Style:

Conclusion:

The new SSR is a superior compound to other compounds on the market, its has a nice long working time, and finishes really well. Next go around I'm going to attempt SSR to FMP and skip the SHR to see how that combo works.

The Flex 3401 VRG will definitely achieve fantastic results in almost 1/2 the time as the PC especially with the addition of this fantastic SSR to the Adam's line. The Flex is more difficult to operate than a PC and requires more muscle to keep the machine steady due to its forced rotation. Pro's and Con's to everything on the market, but I'm taking this 3401 VRG with me to the Grave!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Now you know why I always say that the Flex will wear you out! That's the interesting trade off that you never see talked about. Yep, it corrects much faster than the PC but you fatigue a lot quicker than you do with the PC. So there is a give and take when moving up to the Flex.

Man, that paint was thrashed! Good job on the recovery. It would take me a week to do a truck that size. No thanks!

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
Todd@properautocare.com

Drives: Wrecked!
Great work! The Tahoe looks amazing, I trust your mother-in-law was quite pleased? (Are they ever?)
Todd@properautocare.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:18 AM   #4
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
looks awesome all in one day thats amazing
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:18 AM   #5
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
This confuses me.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
This confuses me.
Are you wondering if this is something you should buy? Talk to the Junkman.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Ryan,

This looks great. One question for you. The damage to the paint looked pretty bad from the pictures best I can tell, did you get all of it out with the flex system?

I understand that you and AJ are alot more experienced and just wanted to know if you had to do other things like sand some areas or did you just use the flex system. The reason I ask is on the passenger side rear near the tail light and wheel well it looked like a pretty scratched up from the pictures. The results look amazing.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@properautocare.com View Post
Great work! The Tahoe looks amazing, I trust your mother-in-law was quite pleased? (Are they ever?)
She was ecstatic with the results, and Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
This confuses me.
What does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Ryan,

This looks great. One question for you. The damage to the paint looked pretty bad from the pictures best I can tell, did you get all of it out with the flex system?

I understand that you and AJ are alot more experienced and just wanted to know if you had to do other things like sand some areas or did you just use the flex system. The reason I ask is on the passenger side rear near the tail light and wheel well it looked like a pretty scratched up from the pictures. The results look amazing.
All the scuffs and scrapes were easily removed with the flex, however a couple scratches were down to the basecoat in which case no amount of wet sanding will fix. All the other results are pure flex.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
looks better than new
Old 11-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Now you know why I always say that the Flex will wear you out! That's the interesting trade off that you never see talked about. Yep, it corrects much faster than the PC but you fatigue a lot quicker than you do with the PC. So there is a give and take when moving up to the Flex.

Man, that paint was thrashed! Good job on the recovery. It would take me a week to do a truck that size. No thanks!
Why?

Also, how much more dangerous is the flex? I've used the PC quite a bit, would I be ready to step up to the flex, or am I still too novice to not harm my paint? I understand flex is still safer than rotary, but compared to the PC what are the technique changes?
Old 11-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Why?

Also, how much more dangerous is the flex? I've used the PC quite a bit, would I be ready to step up to the flex, or am I still too novice to not harm my paint? I understand flex is still safer than rotary, but compared to the PC what are the technique changes?
The Flex is much smoother (less vibration) but that rotation will try and pull you down a panel sometimes, so you are fighting to keep the machine in place a little more. Basically replacing the downward force you'd be exerting on the PC with lateral control. Tens to make my shoulders ache, especially after a lot of vertical panel work.

Its only 'dangerous' (and not really the best term) unless misused... it cuts faster, but not so much faster that you're going to be down to bare metal or something.

Your paints pretty flawless from what I've seen, the Flex might be overkill since you really don't need the added correcting ability... or do you have areas that aren't coming up for you with the PC??
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
The Flex is much smoother (less vibration) but that rotation will try and pull you down a panel sometimes, so you are fighting to keep the machine in place a little more.
Bingo. And depending on the make of pad you use, that pull can try and throw you across the hood or over the trunk or across the roof or... you get the point. The only place that I would use the word "dangerous" is on a lip. Like the lip on the hood by the windshield. You ride that puppy one time too many with the Flex and a heavy cutting compound and I guarantee that you'll take the paint right off of it. You have to pay attention to how you hit edges with the Flex.

I would also agree that if your paint isn't all jacked up or if you are not detailing cars for a living, you have absolutely no need for the Flex. Once you fully correct your paint, you should NEVER need to get aggressive with it again if you are washing the car, or removing dust from the car correctly. Look at it from the perspective of being a cop. A cop has a few weapons at his disposal. The gun is his most lethal and is pretty much guaranteed to eliminate a threat, but it is not always the best choice for every situation. You don't shoot a unarmed man for jaywalking and you don't use hand to hand combat on a subject who is shooting at you with a AK-47 on full auto.

So use the tool that fits the situation that you are looking at in your paint. I never use the Flex on my paint unless something crazy happens and leaves a scratch.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 11-19-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
JMS

Drives: IOM Black stripes, A6, IO interior.
Junkman is exactly right in his comments. If you don't do this professionally, don't take the chance and eat your paint. PC is a great system for folks who want the best without the hassle of the chance of burning through the paint. The PC pretty much will take care of that issue. Good posts from all of you as i do enjoy reading everybodies opinion, as this is mine.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
I am hearing alot about the flex and some of the downfalls of using it with high cut product and the potential for mistakes to happen.

If you are using the FMP that Adams's sells and polishing your car on the annual detailor occassion fix since the flex is faster at applying and achieving the desired results would it be ok in that instance for say like the big panels, hood, roof, doors etc.. I know you still need the PC for the smaller areas but wouldn't it cut some of the time down?

As well all know I am a NOOB to this stuff but really like doing it and learning all about it. I have even purchased the flex package and have a junkyard hood waiting to practice on just wanting to get a little more knowledge.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote