Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
AntzV

Drives: blacked out 2010 Camaro
Wanting to go with an aggressive cam and heads

I currently have the mast motosports stage 2 cam, kooks LT, no cats, halltech CAI, DOD delete kit, and tune on my L99.....Im looking to get a more aggressive cam with heads, Whats out there for me as in head cam package? I am planning to add a SC in the future? Should I go to my installer and have a custom grind cam or get a package from a vendor on C5?

Thanks in advance
AntzV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
How much boost? SC works well with stock heads and stock cam at lower boost settings. Boost level is the key. Deck thickness is important with higher boost levels. SC usually don't like aggressive cams as they let too much of the boost get past the exhaust valves.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
The LG Motorsports G6X3 is supposed to be a pretty aggressive cam but if you are going F/I you may want to go milder than Mast Stage II.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
The LG Motorsports G6X3 is supposed to be a pretty aggressive cam but if you are going F/I you may want to go milder than Mast Stage II.
Truth.....the X3 is a great all around Cam (perhaps too much for the modest) but going F/I would definitely change the envelope and curve. Perhaps even for the worse.

The G6XE might serve to be a better option. It's tame enough for F/I, but still affords some moderate gains before the boost comes in. Let me know if we can help.

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
AntzV

Ivan, Do you have the G6XE and a head package? or would you recommend me just going with the cam if im going with FI? Sorry im a newb haha
Old 12-28-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
1up5dn

Drives: 2011 Black RS SS
If you are going to go FI, why not look at the LS9 cam? Lingenfelter is selling them on their site for 159 bones. Sounds like they are impressed with it. I know I'm impressed by their car!
1up5dn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
if you get to aggressive cam you will need a higher stall converter. not sure where the cutoff is for size....i'm going with livernois stage 2c which is about as much as you can go with the stock converter
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
AntzV

Im gonna get a stall converter aswell, I just want a cam with heads that will allow me to had a whipple sc in the future
Old 12-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Couple questions I think really need to be addressed.

1. How do you drive the car?
2. What is the end goal?

Those are probably the two biggest questions that need to be answered. Sure our G6X3 is very popular and makes a lot of power, but is it right for everyone? No, which is why we have other grinds of cams out there, and if that doesn't work, we will custom grind one.

Pay attention to the RPM range you spend most of your time in, and focus on that.

Are you going to go forced induction? I do have customers that use the X3 with a blower, is it my first choice, not really but it still makes a heck of a lot of power if you do choose to go that route.

Given you have an automatic gears and torque converter are going to play a role as well. Do you want to base the converter around the cam, or the cam around the converter? Some do not want to have to use a big stall so there would be no use to do a big cam if you do not want to run the converter.

Give us a buzz, I would be more than happy to answer any questions I can about any of our own cams, and their results.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntzV View Post
Im gonna get a stall converter aswell, I just want a cam with heads that will allow me to had a whipple sc in the future
Antz. You should talk to Brian@Laramiegmautocenter. He installed my LG G6XB cam as well as my entire build. Needless to say the results speak for themselves. He also built Ted's. Very safe, solid and conservitive build.
Remember to do the timing chain and tensioner at the same time. Also yours is a l99 so you got new valves to do at the same time as the cam. Cant wait to see what you will get out of the Whipple. Brian also has become an fuel system expert after doing Ted's, Garth's and mine back to back to back. Get er done man....before we head to AZ!
Larry
Edit...Oooops I forgot you already have done a cam so you probably already have most of all the above done.
The G6XB probably is not as agressive as what you already have but it sure makes low end power and torque. Here is the dyno results.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Dyno sheets 11-4-100001.pdf (844.3 KB, 101 views)
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts

Last edited by 2010 SS RS; 12-28-2010 at 10:46 PM.
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
AntzV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
Couple questions I think really need to be addressed.

1. How do you drive the car?
2. What is the end goal?

Those are probably the two biggest questions that need to be answered. Sure our G6X3 is very popular and makes a lot of power, but is it right for everyone? No, which is why we have other grinds of cams out there, and if that doesn't work, we will custom grind one.

Pay attention to the RPM range you spend most of your time in, and focus on that.

Are you going to go forced induction? I do have customers that use the X3 with a blower, is it my first choice, not really but it still makes a heck of a lot of power if you do choose to go that route.

Given you have an automatic gears and torque converter are going to play a role as well. Do you want to base the converter around the cam, or the cam around the converter? Some do not want to have to use a big stall so there would be no use to do a big cam if you do not want to run the converter.

Give us a buzz, I would be more than happy to answer any questions I can about any of our own cams, and their results.

Anthony,

I drive the car pretty rough and I take it to the dragstrip almost every week, and its a weekend driver.

My goal HP wise is to be around 600 to 650 rwhp, and Im not sure if I want to have the cam around the converter or vise versa, What would you recommend for my HP goals? Like I said Im a newb at this stuff, I just have the need for power lol

Thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Ivan, Do you have the G6XE and a head package? or would you recommend me just going with the cam if im going with FI? Sorry im a newb haha
If you're considering heads as well, then most likely a custom ground (same price) Cam would be more beneficial.

No worry at all on being new to something you don't know. That's why everybody here reads, asks, and lurks the threads.

Nobody ever knows everything.

Anthony (at LG) has rediculous knowledge on Cams and what his will and won't do for you. He's a graet resource to us all here.

Let me know when you're ready...nobody beats our service or prices.

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #13
AntzV

Ivan, How much for a custom grind and heads?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Anthony,

I drive the car pretty rough and I take it to the dragstrip almost every week, and its a weekend driver.

My goal HP wise is to be around 600 to 650 rwhp, and Im not sure if I want to have the cam around the converter or vise versa, What would you recommend for my HP goals? Like I said Im a newb at this stuff, I just have the need for power lol

Thanks
600-650 RWHP you are looking at a blower or some sort of forced induction for sure. An NA build at that power level would not be streetable.

I would also highly suggest start to look for a transmission now if you are going to drag race the car. The 6spd auto isn't terrible but that is pushing that transmission WAY past what GM designed it for. Most serious racers are converting to a 4L80E conversion when making big power numbers.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote