Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #43
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle SS View Post
Whats with the nurburg time at 7:16 that pops up during that video?
Looked like 7:41 to me

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175148
Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #44
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
..'while other engineers are sleeping'..here's an idea, lose some weight, drop the price, and watch sales fly.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #45
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
If you guys are collecting videos the Barrett Jackson auction is a keeper too, well at least in my book...
Old 11-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #46
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
I'm doing exactly that. Not only these videos, but all the videos out there from the development of the ZL1 to the earliest spy shot videos. It's like my ZL1 development documentary. It'll be great and nostalgic to look back at theses many years from now and remember this roller coaster ride.

I use a youtube downloader extension for Firefox to save all of these videos at the highest resolution offered. It gives you the option to save any youtube video in the browser as an .mp4 for easy playback.

Download firefox if you don't already have it. Once launched, select tools and then add ons. Search for a youtube downloader and install. I'm using "mp4 downloader" and "easy youtube video downloader". Either one works fine, try it out
I would love to have a magazine archive of ZL1 articles. Would you happen to know what magazines and months have articles on the ZL1? Thanks in advance.
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 AM   #47
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
More Phase 2 refining - Please - the ultimate goal should really be controlling the wheel spin at launches.
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:28 AM   #48
ken53007

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
thats cool
ken53007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #49
Noodle SS

Drives: 2011 BMW 328XI, 2012 Camaro (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Yeah i know about the 7:41 but i could have swore i saw in the phase iv video 7:16 pop up on the screen when it mentions the two tracks they tested at. Oh well i will have to watch again when i have a few moments.
Noodle SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #50
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
that video gave me chills!

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #51
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Now on youtube

Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #52
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Beastesiz... Do want!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #53
Kabul SS

Drives: IBM Camaro 2SS
I was watching the video and noticed this can, does anyone have any idea as to what it is (catch can, test equipment?).

Name:  Presentation1.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  47.4 KB
Kabul SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #54
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Firmly Planted: Camaro ZL1 Designed for Downforce

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us.../1101_zl1_aero

DETROIT – With supercar levels of performance and technology, the 580-horsepower (432-kW) Camaro ZL1 can reach 170 mph (273 km/h) on the famed Nürburgring’s Nordschleife course in Germany. To maintain stability and steering response at that speed, the ZL1 features an aerodynamic design that generates downforce to press the tires against the track.
“The Camaro ZL1 lapped the Nürburgring in an incredible 7:41.27 seconds, which would not have been possible without work of our aerodynamics team,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “The design of the ZL1 creates downforce like a race car, harnessing air pressure to press the tires against the track for extra grip and control at high speeds.”
Most production cars are designed with some lift at speed slip through the air for improved fuel economy. The Camaro LS and Camaro SS are no exceptions, enabling the Camaro LS to deliver 323 horsepower (241 kW) and up to 30 mpg on the highway.
Design for high-speed track capability takes in other considerations.
For the ZL1 – the fastest Camaro ever – the aerodynamics team set out to generate downforce for improved handing at speed while minimizing the amount of increased drag that could reduce fuel economy and the vehicle’s top speed. With the computer-assisted design recommendations, engineers tested full-scale clay models and full-size prototypes in the General Motors’ wind tunnel – shaping clay and trimming foam board by hand to affect changes and measure them immediately.
Outside of the aerodynamics laboratory, engineers tested the ZL1’s aero aids on GM’s Milford Road Course, other race tracks and the unique “rolling road” wind tunnel at the Auto Research Center in Indianapolis.
When the dust settled and the wind-tunnel blades came to a stop, the Camaro ZL1 produced 65 pounds of downforce at an equivalent 150 mph (241 km/h) – compared to 200 pounds of lift in a Camaro SS – which was offset by an increase of only 40 counts of additional aerodynamic drag.
“From the driver’s seat, the added downforce makes a huge change in the feel, and responsiveness of the ZL1 at high speeds,” said Oppenheiser. “One of the best examples of how aerodynamics improved the performance of the ZL1 is the ‘Fuchsröhre,’ or Foxhole at the Nürburgring. In the ZL1, you can take that sweeping left-hand corner flat-out in fifth gear – nearly 160 mph (257 km/h). That’s a great testament to the confidence-inspiring stability and control the aerodynamic design helps give the Camaro ZL1.”
Seven elements contribute to the downforce of the ZL1:

1. Front fascia – The front fascia channels air for engine and brake cooling. The lower opening is larger than in a Camaro SS, providing greater airflow to the engine’s intercooler heat exchanger. Even the grille “fins” were shaped for optimal airflow. The corners of the front fascia, too, were reshaped to minimize lift, while the brake-cooling ducts in the outer corners of the lower grille opening provide a direct, high-flow path to the brake rotors. Cooling the brakes helps extend their life, particularly n the race track.

2. Hood – The ZL1’s hood has a vented, carbon fiber insert, contributing to both engine cooling and aerodynamic downforce. With traditional sealed hoods, air trapped in the engine bay creates lift at the front axle. With the ZL1, the specially shaped vents draw air up through the engine bay – allowing a significant volume of air flow while keeping the front tires firmly connected to the pavement.

3. Front splitter – Instead of a traditional front air dam, the ZL1 incorporates a racing-style splitter to help create downforce. Unlike some competitors’ vehicles that come with an add-on splitter, the ZL1’s does not have to be installed at the track – it is installed at the factory, and is designed with enough ground clearance for all driving conditions.

4. Front tire deflectors – The deflectors push airflow around the rotating wheels and tires more efficiently, reducing lift and drag. And by using deflectors in place of a traditional air dam, the downforce is less sensitive to pitch changes, making the ZL1 feel more stable at high speeds.

5. Belly pans – The ZL1 has two of them: one beneath the engine cradle and one at the rear of the engine assembly, just in front of the transmission. Both extend the width of the chassis out to the wheelhouse opening, to minimize airflow turbulence under the car. NACA-style ducts are incorporated into the rear belly pan for transmission cooling.

6. Rocker panels – Although subtle in appearance, the carefully shaped rocker panels help reduce lift and drag, while also contributing to stability during high cross winds. They also provide stone protection with the ZL1’s wider tires.

7. Rear spoiler – One of the most dramatic aero enhancements comes with the ZL1’s rear spoiler, which contributes approximately 150 pounds of down force at the cost of only 1 count of drag. It is taller and wider than the Camaro SS spoiler and incorporates the center high-mounted stop lamp.
The Camaro ZL1 goes on sale later in 2012. A convertible model will also be offered for the 2013 model year, starting in the summer of 2012. Pricing will be announced later.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #55
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
This is great information. Very interesting. Still want to change out that spoiler?

Looks like downforce will probably hurt fuel economy: Don't expect that gas guzzler tax to disappear.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #56
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I like it when they measure downforce in pounds by refer to drag in 'counts'.
What is 1 count of drag mean???

Either way I'm glad they made all these improvements. They'll really pay off when I drive it to work each day.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 camaro zl1, 2012 zl1, 2013 camaro zl1, 2013 zl1, camaro zl1, camaro zl1 forum, camaro zl1 forums, camaro zl1 video, camaro zl1 videos, zl1 forum, zl1 forums, zl1 video, zl1 videos