Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #15
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
You should look into the Range AFM Disable. It is currently the only way to rid yourself of the AFM agony, other than tuning it out. The nice thing about the Range is if you want to return to having AFM, you just unplug it from the OBD port. If you want to do that with a tune, it requires another tune. Plus, Range does not effect any warranty you may have remaining.

Here are a couple of links to reviews I performed when the Range first became available to C5. They involve some reading, but I thing they are pretty thorough.

Range basics: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=11

Range MPG effects: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=331

There are lots of folks here using the Range with very few (and very minor) issues. Scroll through that entire thread and see all comments.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
5150 Maro

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Range is the way to go until your ready to tune it out!
5150 Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #17
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Look into a Ported Throttle body. It really wont effect your HP, but will give you a noticeable difference in throttle response.
Tampa Tuning sells them.
Also look into a cold air scoop and WW delete kit. Apex makes a great one, it puts more cold air to the intake.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Looks like a cheapo K&N filter its not a CAI or Rotofab that's for sure, you should be getting around 25 mpg on the freeway so yes your car is messed up, and BTW there is no where in the USA a muffler delete is O.k. with law enforcement so think about upgrading the exhaust to a non teenager exhaust mod with a hack saw or pay to have it done with a nice ticket and proving it in court some day is what happens.............. No professional muffler install shop should remove or alter a muffler or catalytic converter to make a car not in compliance with EPA rules as it is a big no-no. Cars that came with mufflers from the factory have to have mufflers, and especially catalytic converters, should you remove them you make your car a track only non street legal car here where I live, and in many places you could not register it through smog testing ever and ever get registration without returning it to a more stock configuration having mufflers. Just a heads up, a muffler delete is not a mod!!!!!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
Put it in paddle shifter mode, go to third gear, then back down to first. Afm will be disabled until you put it into park, neutral, reverse, or drive.

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Looks like a cheapo K&N filter its not a CAI or Rotofab that's for sure, you should be getting around 25 mpg on the freeway so yes your car is messed up, and BTW there is no where in the USA a muffler delete is O.k. with law enforcement so think about upgrading the exhaust to a non teenager exhaust mod with a hack saw or pay to have it done with a nice ticket and proving it in court some day is what happens.............. No professional muffler install shop should remove or alter a muffler or catalytic converter to make a car not in compliance with EPA rules as it is a big no-no. Cars that came with mufflers from the factory have to have mufflers, and especially catalytic converters, should you remove them you make your car a track only non street legal car here where I live, and in many places you could not register it through smog testing ever and ever get registration without returning it to a more stock configuration having mufflers. Just a heads up, a muffler delete is not a mod!!!!!
Interesting. I've read a lot of posts on here with guys who have done a muffler delete to their Camaros.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
This sounds like the rant of someone that paid 800 bucks for an exhaust system that sounds almost identical to a 50 buck muffler delete.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
In Texas all you need is cats. Maybe not ok to law, but good luck finding someone willing to ticket you over it.

Congratulations on your purchase O.P, I dont own an L99 so I csnt give you insight on your problem, but in my M6 SS I get about 22-25 mpg at 60-65.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
"there is no where in the USA a muffler delete is O.k. with law enforcement " - I don't think that is entirely accurate.

"No professional muffler install shop should remove or alter a muffler or catalytic converter" - I agree with the Cat portion of this statement.

"here where I live, and in many places you could not register it through smog testing" - That's why I don't live on the left coast... too much BS rules and regs in the name of protecting a freaking polka-dot garden slug or striped-legged mosquito.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy vroom View Post
Hi everyone.

I just traded in my BMW128i for a 2010 white camaro ss with 29k miles and wow is it awesome. I am a changed man now. It has two previous owners so it's difficult to know everything that was done to it but the dealer said it had a muffler delete done to it as well as a K&N CAI. It sounds amazing but I want more.

*I'm moving from Jax NAS area to Fernandina beach, FL and was wondering if anyone else is in that area. I'm also looking for a trustworthy tuner that is to notch... I've had my fill of bad tuners and want someone that is going to get the job done right the first time and is fair in pricing.

I'm so happy with this car it is truly amazing.*

Side note...
The car is acting weird to me. The AMF is constantly turning on and off and not only does the sound get but my MPG seems to be affected. I'm not buying this car for its MPG but I also don't want to waste it. I get 17MPG flat highway @ 65 mph.
AFM will be tuned out when you get a tune.

In the meantime, on the highway, put it in "M" mode, shift up, then back down, and AFM will be off until the next time you go back to D, or S, or turn the car off.

Thats a silly looking CAI, id go with a proven brand like: CAI, inc, Roto-Fab, ADM, Vararam
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
Comfy vroom

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Omg I woke up to all these posts. Its like early christmas. Ty everyone I will check these all out.
Comfy vroom is offline   Reply With Quote