Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
rockclimbermi
Mike

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Camaro 2SS RS M6
Recomended tires for 2013 Camaro SS

I have a convertible 2013 Camaro Manual SS with stock rims. Currently, on the front are Falken Pro G4's 245 45 ZR20. These are still in good shape. In the back are Pirelli P Zero's 275 40 ZR20. These need to be replaced. These were both on the car when I bought it. Because it is a convertible I can't take it to the track or drag strip. Sad Face. I will likely get a hard top next so I can do that. I live in Michigan, so I only drive it about 6 months a year (Roughly May through October). I never drive in snow, and try to avoid the rain. So a summer only tire is fine. I often drive spiritedly. It's always fun to light them up now and again, but I don't do this too often, because these things are expensive. I put about 5,000 miles a year on them, and would hope to get about 15,000 to 20,000 miles out of them. And would drive them till they are bald. Should I keep with the same manufacturer and go with the Falkens out back, or should I go with a different tire all together? Please let me know the manufacturer and the tire model you think would work well for me. Should I change the width? Thank you in advance for all your help. I tried to find a forum about tires like this but got frustrated.
rockclimbermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
Yeah that sucks, especially when you have a track right there by you.
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockclimbermi View Post
I have a convertible 2013 Camaro Manual SS with stock rims. Currently, on the front are Falken Pro G4's 245 45 ZR20. These are still in good shape. In the back are Pirelli P Zero's 275 40 ZR20. These need to be replaced. These were both on the car when I bought it. Because it is a convertible I can't take it to the track or drag strip. Sad Face. I will likely get a hard top next so I can do that. I live in Michigan, so I only drive it about 6 months a year (Roughly May through October). I never drive in snow, and try to avoid the rain. So a summer only tire is fine. I often drive spiritedly. It's always fun to light them up now and again, but I don't do this too often, because these things are expensive. I put about 5,000 miles a year on them, and would hope to get about 15,000 to 20,000 miles out of them. And would drive them till they are bald. Should I keep with the same manufacturer and go with the Falkens out back, or should I go with a different tire all together? Please let me know the manufacturer and the tire model you think would work well for me. Should I change the width? Thank you in advance for all your help. I tried to find a forum about tires like this but got frustrated.

TireRack is on this site, give them a call, or see the tire thread and hit them up.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I'm familiar with the area you live in, I'm from Lake Orion. For a decent tire that won't break the bank try these.

I ran them on my 10 SS for about a 2 years before selling it, and have no complaints.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I'm familiar with the area you live in, I'm from Lake Orion. For a decent tire that won't break the bank try these.

I ran them on my 10 SS for about a 2 years before selling it, and have no complaints.
I used to run those as well. They are a great inexpensive tire.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I don't drive in salt conditions, but I'm not afraid of rain! It's salt, not water, that corrodes cars.

Summer tires really suck in wet weather when the temperature is below about 55 deg. The best thing I ever did for my Camaro was to buy high performance all season tires. I got BFG G-Force Comp2 A/S, but there are good reviews for similar tires from Continental and Michelin. The BFGs do look cool, though.

You should replace all 4 tires.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Bfgs here too. No complaints.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
I've been having a lot of fun with these Nitto NT555 G2's. Fairly inexpensive tire... have lasted for a good while, and I think it they look great. I do recommend them.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I love my Cooper RS3's. Never had an issue in the rain....but I also don't drive in the rain like is dry. Most of your popular brands will work well all around. Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #10
Mr2Hard2See
Instagram: Mr2Hard2See

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS
Atturo az850 tires you won’t regret the purchase and the price beats anything else on the market. I started off with pirelli p zeros.....overrated. Then lexani tires are to soft. Now I’m running a 315 setup with the Az850 tires and love this setup
Che bronze trunnion Ls3 timing/valley cover
Dod/vvt delete Dsx e85 Dsx aux fuel pump Id1050x injectors ZL1 fuel pump, Griptech 2.55 pulley, Solo performance Mach ll 2.5 catback exhaust 1 7/8th Lt headers
Mr2Hard2See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #11
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I doubt if many people have the time, money, and conditions to actually buy and test tires so I leave it to the pros. I think TireRack has some of the most trust worthy reviews.
That said, it is up to the individual to select his criteria and make his own decision.

Do you want tires that can push your brain out your ears or a tire that is adequate and lasts longer? How about lasts forever, but grips like a cat's claws on glass?
It's all a trade-off and the vehicle manufacturer has to kow-tow to every whim, so those aren't the best for any one mindset.

I have been enjoying summer and winter tires since 2004. My winters last through fall, winter, and spring.
It's a special day when I swap to the summers! And kind of sad when I bolt the winters back on...

But, at least I can go anywhere, anytime, so I've got that going for me
Old 05-03-2019, 11:49 PM   #12
Crankshaft

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro ss
Do yourself a favor and buy name brand tires as this is the only thing keeping your car on the road, for a commuter car that wont see above 60mph you can use damn near anything and it will suffice but the same wont apply to a nearly 4000 pound vehicle with a 400hp engine. Someone mentioned the 555R, i myself have the Toyo 420S since that is what came with the car but given the chance i will be going to BFG Comp2; now if you want grip only for the track the Mickey Thompson or Toyo 888R/TQ is what you need. I worked in the tire industry for 7 years for different distributors and CAN tell you that while they all look black and round the compounds they use make the difference as well as whether or not the manufacturer stands behind their product, many manufacturers now have their entry level lines to compete with the influx of cheap tires but you sacrifice quality as well as the lack of warranty on some of these models over the lower price. Tires and brakes are not like a TV where you can sacrifice quality over price because your safety is literally depending on those two.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #13
Quicksilver2SS

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 NPP
Bf goodrich comp 2's here, really happy with them.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #14
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockclimbermi View Post
Nitto 555r drag radials.i have 305 35 20s on stock rims. The are a great street strip tire that will last 15000 miles. Plus they look beastly out back.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires