Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
Marsland

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet camaro 2L turbo
Talking Can you engine swap a turbo 4 to a v8?

I'm 20 and I have bought a 2019 camaro rs, 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder, I know it's not the nicest camaro out there but it's my dream car and all I could afford, in the future i would like to engine swap it with a v8 but i dont know if it's even possible or if it's cheaper to just sell it when the time comes and purchase an SS. I'm very new to all of this and I would appreciate any advice.
Marsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yes you can but it would be cheaper to sell it and buy a used v8 ss
Old 02-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Hi. I believe it would be worth you while to trade up to the LT1. I say this because there is so much more involved with a swap. Your car is outfitted to handle the power and weight of the 2.0. You would have to upgrade so many other things on your car to handle the V8 upgrade including suspension and brakes for starters. Also you would destroy its value, if you wanted to trade or sell. You are better off.enjoying what you have currently and trade up later when you can. Good luck to you.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Sell it and by an SS when you can afford it...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
only way it seems to make sense is go all out with an LT5 and full racing fitup. talking what... 40K for a base build? The connect and go alone would be more than the 2.0 cost new.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
BlueShadow

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsland View Post
I'm 20 and I have bought a 2019 camaro rs, 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder, I know it's not the nicest camaro out there but it's my dream car and all I could afford, in the future i would like to engine swap it with a v8 but i dont know if it's even possible or if it's cheaper to just sell it when the time comes and purchase an SS. I'm very new to all of this and I would appreciate any advice.

One thing that sucks about having a new car that you want to swap an engine into is you need to have the same year or newer year engine as your car in order for it to be legally certified through your BAR. If you had bought a used 2016 2.0 for example then that means you can swap in a V8 from a wrecked 2016, 2017, 2018 or 2020 etc. But with a 2019 2.0 you can only swap in a 2019 or 2020. So it affects availability of engines that you can use. I dont know if the laws have changed since i last swapped a motor but thats how it was like 20 years ago in Cali. I think i've read of people doing under-the-table/shady deals with their local smog/bar stations to get an older year engine certified on a newer year car though.

Last edited by BlueShadow; 02-07-2020 at 01:13 PM.
BlueShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #7
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Don't do it.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
BlueShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Don't do it.

People should just post up videos of high HP Camaro 2.0 videos anytime someone posts a "should i swap a V8" thread. Probably easier to convince someone that way and would save people a lot of typing :P

EDIT: **cough cough**

Old 02-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #9
Soggy_fries

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2.0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShadow View Post
People should just post up videos of high HP Camaro 2.0 videos anytime someone posts a "should i swap a V8" thread. Probably easier to convince someone that way and would save people a lot of typing :P
And how many high hp 2.0t are out there?
Soggy_fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:08 AM   #10
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Why in the world would you do that? The 6th gen camaro is amazing with the LTG engine. Don't sell yourself short. Let's not have any more of this "i know its not the nicest camaro out there" junk. No. You have one of the best damned sports cars on the market.

Professional race car drivers buy this car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566260

And remember, you don't need any mods to have fun with this car. Of course, when that warranty is up, there is a nice little batch of mods you can do that make real additional power.

I would encourage you to enjoy the fruits of your labor for the duration of your powertrain warranty, and then see how you feel. Along the way you can devour all the information on this site pertaining to the LTG.

Congrats on the purchase, and pictures are a MUST! Let's see her!
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:35 AM   #11
BlueShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy_fries View Post
And how many high hp 2.0t are out there?

Dunno, but there are gonna be a lot less if people decide to swap their 2.0's to V8's :P
Old 02-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #12
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
I have been really enjoying my build. This engine will give a visceral experience similar to a V-8. Except of course the rumble and back end pull. Learning more about auto tech than I though I would. To me its like if you trend were transportation is going its not like its an after thought engine, e-car is emerging, and who knows H-cars down the road. Looking back to woulda coulda shoulda is like selling your self short. Our grand kids will be saying D-tech is so dark ages. D for dino. Just saying its a perspective to think about on oil wars and smog. My vocation is proximal to both those concerns. Dudes will race rubber band engines if it comes down to it the sport won't die out.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2019, camaro, engine, swap, turbo