Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Question Is my car a recall or not?

I have a 2011 ss/rs, and have been reading threads about the owners getting letter on the '11s because of something to do with the AC? i called my dealer today and they said they have not heard of any recalls on any camaros? Whats going on?
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Make : CHEVROLET Model : CAMARO Year : 2011
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS LLC
Service Bulletin Number : PB-11160A Date of Bulletin : MAY 01, 2011
NHTSA Item Number : 10038763
Component : EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL:AIR CONDITIONER
Summary :
GM SERVICE CAMPAIGN: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. 2011 CAMARO. AIR CONDITIONING COMPRESSOR MAY NOT TURN ON OR OFF. THIS IS CAUSED BY THE BODY CONTROL MODULE. *RM

There are other TSB's out there (41 of them) and you can see them here
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
25thanniversary

Drives: 92 Camaro Convt RS,2011 Camaro RS
Mine was on recall got the problem fixed.

TEAM LLT

1992 Camaro Rs Convertible
2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
25thanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
I have a 2011 ss/rs, and have been reading threads about the owners getting letter on the '11s because of something to do with the AC? i called my dealer today and they said they have not heard of any recalls on any camaros? Whats going on?
your dealer is an idiot. Tell them to run your vin!!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
DuhKoDuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
Make : CHEVROLET Model : CAMARO Year : 2011
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS LLC
Service Bulletin Number : PB-11160A Date of Bulletin : MAY 01, 2011
NHTSA Item Number : 10038763
Component : EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL:AIR CONDITIONER
Summary :
GM SERVICE CAMPAIGN: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. 2011 CAMARO. AIR CONDITIONING COMPRESSOR MAY NOT TURN ON OR OFF. THIS IS CAUSED BY THE BODY CONTROL MODULE. *RM

There are other TSB's out there (41 of them) and you can see them here
thanks for the reply but i dont understand what you posted lol
Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
PM me your vin and I can check to see if it applies to you or not.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Sorry, that is the TSB (Tech Service Bulletin) for the problem. So, you can tell your dealer this is what you are talking about since they say they haven't heard about the problem. It says that the problem is caused by the BCM (body control module). Now that they can be informed of the issue, perhaps they can search to see if your vehicle is affected.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
DuhKoDuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
Sorry, that is the TSB (Tech Service Bulletin) for the problem. So, you can tell your dealer this is what you are talking about since they say they haven't heard about the problem. It says that the problem is caused by the BCM (body control module). Now that they can be informed of the issue, perhaps they can search to see if your vehicle is affected.
thanks, i see you help alot of people on here! thanks for your kindness!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
smokingcamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I have a late 2010 camaro and I have been having problems with my A/C can someone run my vin and help me thanks!!!!!!!!

2G1FA1EV8A9221315
smokingcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
PETRA
My Addiction

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS DropTop
Quote:
If you take it to a Chevy dealer they will know there is a recall on the air conditioner, not the actual car. And all they have to do is replace a small part that from what I hear takes about an hour. The way you wrote your post you had me thinking that you thought the car was recalled. Are you sure you were clear with the dealer as to what you were inquiring about?

I have a recall on mine (got the letter from GM confirming it) but my AC works fine so I don't think mine is bad.
You sound like my wife...at first she was.........but after a few rides in it and seeing me giggle lik a schoolgirl she was more like ............but then when I told her we could get her Vert lowered to match my stance she was like so it all worked out.
PETRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #11
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingcamaro View Post
I have a late 2010 camaro and I have been having problems with my A/C can someone run my vin and help me thanks!!!!!!!!

2G1FA1EV8A9221315
Nope,Your not involved.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
MS3DALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRA View Post
If you take it to a Chevy dealer they will know there is a recall on the air conditioner, not the actual car. And all they have to do is replace a small part that from what I hear takes about an hour. The way you wrote your post you had me thinking that you thought the car was recalled. Are you sure you were clear with the dealer as to what you were inquiring about?

I have a recall on mine (got the letter from GM confirming it) but my AC works fine so I don't think mine is bad.
They do not replace a part,they reprogram the BCM.

'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
DuhKoDuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRA View Post

ya i to the dealer i said "has there been any kind of recall on the 2011 camaros" and he said nope man, and i was like ok? lol
Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
MS3DALE

I've posted this many times already,but here it is again....

Service Information

2011 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual | HVAC | Campaigns | Customer Satisfaction | Document ID: 2666315
#11160A: Customer Satisfaction - Loss of Air Conditioning - Reprogram Body Control Module - (May 31, 2011)

Subject:11160A - Loss of Air Conditioning - Reprogram Body Control Module

Models:2011 Chevrolet Camaro

The service procedure in this bulletin has been revised. Please review Steps 3 through 9. Please discard all copies of bulletin 11160, issued May 2011.
THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL MAY 31, 2013

Condition

Certain 2011 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles may have a condition in which the air conditioning compressor may not turn on or turn off. This could cause the compressor to fail, resulting in a loss of air conditioning.

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the body control module.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2011 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles.
Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty Management system. Not all vehicles may be involved.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.
The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Parts Information

No parts are required for this program.

Service Procedure

Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) with the calibration update. When using a MDI for reprogramming, ensure that is updated with the latest software version. Use TIS2WEB on or after 05/16/11 to obtain the calibration. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.

For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information System (TIS) terminal.
  1. Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550 Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain proper battery voltage during programming. Reprogram the body control module (BCM). Refer to SI and Service Programming System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
    2.1. Connect the MDI to the vehicle.

2.2. Select J2534 MDI and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen.
    2.3. Select BCM Body Control Module -- Programming from the Supported Controllers screen.
    2.4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

1. On the SPS Supported Controllers screen, select BCM Body Control Module - Setup and follow the on-screen instructions. Remove the MDI and turn the ignition off. Open and close the driver's door. Wait 2 minutes. This will clear the Stabilitrak message if present. Clear all diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). If the vehicle is equipped with a sunroof, close the sunroof completely and re-open the sunroof to the full-open position.
  2. Check the driver information center display for additional messages regarding further calibration instructions. If there are no additional driver information center instructions present, programming is complete.
Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction Information

Submit a transaction using the table below.
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
V2434
Reprogram BCM
Customer Notification - For US and Canada

General Motors will notify customers of this program on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).
Customer Notification - For Export

Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.
Dealer Program Responsibility

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this program must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this program bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this program at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, through May 31, 2013.
Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the involved vehicle listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.
In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this program enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your facility for service through May 31, 2013, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the program correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
Dear General Motors Customer:
We have learned that your 2011 model year Chevrolet Camaro may have a condition in which the air conditioning compressor may not turn on or turn off. This could cause the compressor to fail, resulting in a loss of air conditioning.
Your satisfaction with your Camaro is very important to us, so we are announcing a program to prevent this condition.
What We Will Do: Your GM dealer will reprogram the body control module. This service will be performed for you at no charge until May 31, 2013 . After that, any applicable warranty will apply.
What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair.
If you have any questions or concerns that your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.
Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)
Chevrolet
1-800-222-1020
1-800-833-2438
Guam
65-6267-1752

Puerto Rico - English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Español
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

Courtesy Transportation: If your vehicle is within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, your dealer may provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the dealership for this repair. Please refer to your Owner Manual and your dealer for details on Courtesy Transportation.
We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this situation may cause you. We want you to know that we will do our best, throughout your ownership experience, to ensure that your Camaro provides you many miles of enjoyable driving.
Jim Moloney
General Director,
Customer and Relationship Services
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2011 General Motors. All rights reserved.