Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
Details about PDIM & Bluetooth functionality & upgrading your non C&C car with them

Thank you VERY much to codeman71 for taking the time to answer my questions. Although I personally am going a different route, I thought this information (in an easy to find place ) would be helpful to people (now, and future buyers) looking to add some C&C (Convenience & Connectivity) features to their car that did not come with it. Some of these things have already been brought up, but here's everything I could think of in one easy place.

The PDIM (Personal Data Interface Module I'm guessing?) is what gives you the USB port in your center console that can control your media device (iPod, iPhone, MP3 player, USB storage device). In the cars that come equipped with C&C this PDIM also has Bluetooth (BT) built into it (for A2DP- streaming audio purposes only). However, the GMPP accessory PDIM (also called "Personal Audio Link" on the gm accessory site, here http://www.gm.oeaccessories.com/graffchevrolet/ {example dealer listed, you can choose one local to you}) says nothing about BT capabilities at all.

Codeman71 verified that not only are there 2 different BT radios in the C&C equipped Camaro (one in PDIM for A2DP, one in OnStar for hands free) there are in fact 2 different PDIM modules at GM, so it very well may be possible the accessory store one is not the same as the one from the C&C equipped Camaro since it does not list Bluetooth as a feature. It also sounded like the Camaro was currently the only vehicle that currently has the BT enabled PDIM module.

He also verified that the Bluetooth enabled PDIM is the only part you would need to use A2DP with your factory stereo.

He also verified that for hands free Bluetooth, that BT radio is in the OnStar module, which would be more difficult to replace, and you also would need the hands free steering wheel controls as it is the only way to access the Bluetooth menu on the on star module.

So overall it sounds like adding the USB + A2DP BT would be as simple as buying the correct Camaro specific C&C PDIM from your local Chevy parts department & installing it (I believe under the center console). However adding BT for hands free calling would be a much more involved install, having to swap out the OnStar module (no idea where it is yet) and adding the steering wheel controls (I'm not sure if it's an easy pre-wired plug in, new wiring required, a whole new wheel or what, but would ass-u-me it's pre-wired).

Please feel free to update this as more information becomes available (BT PDIM part #, OnStar Module location & difficulty to replace, addition of steering wheel control details), and hopefully this will help some of you out!

Last edited by Matt'sSS; 07-06-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Matt'sSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'm 99% certain that the correct part number is 92213212. It's listed as being for the Camaro in the GM parts catalog.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
there is also a gm pdim software update, i did my car, took about 50min to update,, supposed to connect better with some devices
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
there is also a gm pdim software update, i did my car, took about 50min to update,, supposed to connect better with some devices
How did you do that?
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
How did you do that?
gm mdi with tis software, i work at a dealer.
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Matt'sSS, great post

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Glad to see that the software update is out there. Could you just verify the version of software that you have? You can do this by going onto a PDIM screen (like iPod or USB main screen) and holding down the menu button for 5 seconds.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
I'm 99% certain that the correct part number is 92213212. It's listed as being for the Camaro in the GM parts catalog.
I verified that part # is the same as what is in the GMPP website (linked above), which says nothing about BT capable in it's info, so I think this may be the "other" PDIM, not specific to the C&C equipped Camaro. Quote from website below.

"Personal Audio Link (PDIM)
*Coming Soon*
Part Number: 92213212

Your Price $162.89
With Installation $252.89

Personal Device Interface Module

This Personal Device interface Module (PDIM) allows the user to plug their remote audio devices (iPod, MP3 player, etc.) into the USB port. The PDIM allows for command and control of the remote audio device through the radio and steering wheel controls."

Quote:
Hmmm, what department do you work in? I may be PM'ing you later

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh0rsep0wer View Post
Matt'sSS, great post
Thanks!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Yamatr3

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Solstice LS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'sSS View Post
adding the steering wheel controls (I'm not sure if it's an easy pre-wired plug in, new wiring required, a whole new wheel or what, but would ass-u-me it's pre-wired).
:
I added steering wheel controls to my Solstice. In that car, I had the regular radio and no controls. My Solstice was already pre wired. I just had to order the steering wheel buttom assembly, cover and wiring. The wiring plugged into the control and a cable that already went from the radio to the steering wheel area.

So, I assume the Camaro will be set up similar. We'll probably need those three parts to hook them up.

I ordered a 1SS car, so this really interests me.
Yamatr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'sSS View Post
Thank you VERY much to codeman71 for taking the time to answer my questions. Although I personally am going a different route, I thought this information (in an easy to find place ) would be helpful to people (now, and future buyers) looking to add some C&C (Convenience & Connectivity) features to their car that did not come with it. Some of these things have already been brought up, but here's everything I could think of in one easy place.

The PDIM (Personal Data Interface Module I'm guessing?) is what gives you the USB port in your center console that can control your media device (iPod, iPhone, MP3 player, USB storage device). In the cars that come equipped with C&C this PDIM also has Bluetooth (BT) built into it (for A2DP- streaming audio purposes only). However, the GMPP accessory PDIM (also called "Personal Audio Link" on the gm accessory site, here http://www.gm.oeaccessories.com/graffchevrolet/ {example dealer listed, you can choose one local to you}) says nothing about BT capabilities at all.

Codeman71 verified that not only are there 2 different BT radios in the C&C equipped Camaro (one in PDIM for A2DP, one in OnStar for hands free) there are in fact 2 different PDIM modules at GM, so it very well may be possible the accessory store one is not the same as the one from the C&C equipped Camaro since it does not list Bluetooth as a feature. It also sounded like the Camaro was currently the only vehicle that currently has the BT enabled PDIM module.

He also verified that the Bluetooth enabled PDIM is the only part you would need to use A2DP with your factory stereo.

He also verified that for hands free Bluetooth, that BT radio is in the OnStar module, which would be more difficult to replace, and you also would need the hands free steering wheel controls as it is the only way to access the Bluetooth menu on the on star module.

So overall it sounds like adding the USB + A2DP BT would be as simple as buying the correct Camaro specific C&C PDIM from your local Chevy parts department & installing it (I believe under the center console). However adding BT for hands free calling would be a much more involved install, having to swap out the OnStar module (no idea where it is yet) and adding the steering wheel controls (I'm not sure if it's an easy pre-wired plug in, new wiring required, a whole new wheel or what, but would ass-u-me it's pre-wired).

Please feel free to update this as more information becomes available (BT PDIM part #, OnStar Module location & difficulty to replace, addition of steering wheel control details), and hopefully this will help some of you out!
Great post! I'm interested in the USB interface for the radio, but as for the BT for my phone, not so much. I use a BT earpiece anyway or my visor BT device.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Thanks, and thank you again to codeman71 for taking the time to answer my questions! There's two BT radios - so even if you did get the PDIM with bluetooth it still wont do hands free anyway. The details are all in there.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Does the accessory PDIM come with the USB wire, plug, and plastic interface like the 2LT/SS for inside the console?
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Since the accessory is not available yet I'm not sure anyone can positively answer that, but it is certainly the expectation for it.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #14
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
I looked through the wiring diagrams you posted Matt'sSS and here's the relevant ones...

This is what it looks like WITH the USB port...

Here it is without...

And here's the connector that connects for the Aux jack...

So it looks like the cable that goes from Aux jack > PDIM in PDIM cars is the same as the one that goes from Aux Jack > Stereo in non-PDIM cars.

But what sucks is that the cable that goes from PDIM > stereo is definitely different than that. Unless, of course, it's the same but just missing a wire (the one that detects if something is plugged in). The reason it doesn't need this from the PDIM > the deck is that this is being sent over the CAN bus (the "data communications" port in the first pic).
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote