Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Solo Mach XL with J-Pipes cat-back

Since I just had the Solo Hi Flow Cats installed this past Friday, I started to look at cat-backs to complete my exhaust system overhaul....decided to go with Solo for this too. Just ordered the Mach XL with J-Pipes.

Anyone else go with this system?

cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
ive always wondered the purpose of J Pipes.....I have seen them on imports for sound...would this be the same case with our vehicles?

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom SS View Post
ive always wondered the purpose of J Pipes.....I have seen them on imports for sound...would this be the same case with our vehicles?
Their website says it's for sound and also to prevent any drone.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
the jpipes are use to tune out the drone.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #5
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Does anyone know if the npp exhaust when closed produces drone?
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #6
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Since I just had the Solo Hi Flow Cats installed this past Friday, I started to look at cat-backs to complete my exhaust system overhaul....decided to go with Solo for this too. Just ordered the Mach XL with J-Pipes.

Anyone else go with this system?

I love my Solo high flow cats and I think the sound and power is great. Quiet when cruising and a nice sound when on it. I would go with the Solo catback myself, but, I am curious to know how much louder it will be. And yes, the J-pipes are to reduce drone and can be adjusted to your liking. Keep us posted with this mod.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
MattSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6 CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
I love my Solo high flow cats and I think the sound and power is great. Quiet when cruising and a nice sound when on it. I would go with the Solo catback myself, but, I am curious to know how much louder it will be. And yes, the J-pipes are to reduce drone and can be adjusted to your liking. Keep us posted with this mod.
I have a coworker who went for this exhaust. It really didn't increase the volume so much as deepen the tone. Sounds good and doesn't wake the neighbors. I'm planning on getting it myself and pairing it with a set of LT's for the power and volume if I can get my wife to stop spending money on silly things like gutting the bathroom and new HVAC for the house, lol!
MattSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
My custom catback is similar to this though the outlaws make it sound better. The resonated x pipe you see in the pic will make the setup more quiet.Made my headers and high flows more quiet but reduced the decel pop which I didnt like.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSS View Post
I have a coworker who went for this exhaust. It really didn't increase the volume so much as deepen the tone. Sounds good and doesn't wake the neighbors. I'm planning on getting it myself and pairing it with a set of LT's for the power and volume if I can get my wife to stop spending money on silly things like gutting the bathroom and new HVAC for the house, lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
My custom catback is similar to this though the outlaws make it sound better. The resonated x pipe you see in the pic will make the setup more quiet.Made my headers and high flows more quiet but reduced the decel pop which I didnt like.
Thanks for the insight. May be my next mod. Probably worth it just to get rid of the trash cans and get some nicer looking tips.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #10
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
I got the magnaflow resonated x pipe , solo hiflo cats and solo axelback. Welded open the butterfly valves that came on my vert and it sounds great great when cruising loud when you get on it im going to swap my shorties for 2 inch longtubes and no cats see what it sounds like. Might need to add some mufflers will see
Old 01-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #11
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
I have the Solo catback with SW long tubs & HFC's. The exhaust is still quiet unless you're on it or on cold start. I will be doing a cat delete this spring, if this doesn't wake up the exhaust a little more I will be forced to scrap this setup and go with a full SW setup. Solo is a great exhaust the, excellent build quality and finish, just a tad too quiet for my tastes.
BooSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #12
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
It'll rock after the cat delete.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Yes I have that exhaust since they first came out before the j-pipes. I added the j-pipes when they were introduced. Love the system, its holding up real well with no issues. The j-pipes work great to tune out the drone. My car was actually real quiet in the car on highway and around town. Only issue I have now is because I added a cam and blower and it is real loud inside the car. Need to find a solution or it might be time for something else.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Yes I have that exhaust since they first came out before the j-pipes. I added the j-pipes when they were introduced. Love the system, its holding up real well with no issues. The j-pipes work great to tune out the drone. My car was actually real quiet in the car on highway and around town. Only issue I have now is because I added a cam and blower and it is real loud inside the car. Need to find a solution or it might be time for something else.
No cats? My buddy has a cammed, blower car w/no cats thru a 3" Magna and his cabin noise isn't bad at all. I can't see the Solo being louder than his set up. Can you adjust the J pipes?