Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #7029
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Portillos or Buono Beef. Both are very good. Wet = dip in the au juice Hot = Giardiniera http://www.viennabeef.com/products/i...?PRODUCT_ID=23

The sandwich should be so sloppy it is hard to eat without a bib
It was dipped and very tasty!

I may have to see if I can find that blend and TRY and make my own....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #7030
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I wish I could remember the name of the place.... The best Italian beef sandwich I have ever had was in Chicago.

and where else would you expect to have the best Italian beef?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #7031
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
and where else would you expect to have the best Italian beef?
Touche....

Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #7032
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
It was dipped and very tasty!

I may have to see if I can find that blend and TRY and make my own....
The key is good beef. We are so time pressed we rarely cook a tenderloin of beef Italian style. Boar's Head out of the deli counter works well.

I learned to cook from my grandmother and mom. They never measured anything, except in the palm of the hand. I cook the same way. It drives my wife nuts because she wants exact measurements. What we are making is an aromatic, robust Italian au juice. Add a little at a time and you'll get it just right.

In a mid size pot add once can of beef consume' and one box of beef stock.

Seasonings:

Fresh Basil Leaves, tear or chop them into small bits. It helps bring out the flavor if you wake Basil up with a little rubbing before you tear or chop.
Anise Seed, grind them to a pepper like consistency with a mortar and pestle.
Fennel Seed, grind them to a pepper like consistency with a mortar and pestle.
Fresh Garlic, use a garlic press over the pot. Use the juice and pulp.
Fresh Ground Pepper
Celery Seed, grind them to a pepper like consistency with a mortar and pestle. Not too much.
Kosher Salt, as needed.

Cover the pot and simmer for an hour. Let the pot coil a bit then add the thinly sliced beef. Tear the beef into smaller pieces. We just want to warm the beef. If the beef discolors quickly and becomes tough the au juice is too hot.

Buns are the hardest part. Try to find an Italian style bun with a light to medium crust. The heavy artisan style breads are too tough. No whole wheat or sweet wheat. The buns have to be a salty dough style. If the buns are packaged in plastic bags, freshen them in an oven pre-heated to 400. It doesn't take long to crisp them so they feel and smell like fresh bread.

Slice the bun length wise about 80% of the way. Fill with tender beef. Quickly dip the sandwich. Too long and it will fall apart. Not long enough and it won't be the right consistency. Spoon on the giardiniera along with oil from the jar. Wrap in wax paper and let it stand for 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

Last edited by JusticePete; 11-22-2011 at 05:06 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #7033
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Gee, fellas, all this chatter 'bout FOOD...and me munchin' Imodium after a bout of the flu...

Could you hold this thought?! The FOOD thought, not the other...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #7034
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa

Sorry 'bout your bout, LOWDOWN...

but still ===> Challenge AccZepted !

BTW, your Grandmother & Mom sound like Z best, Pete.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #7035
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
BTW, your Grandmother & Mom sound like Z best, Pete.
They were and I hope everyone feels the same way about their Mom and Baba.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #7036
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Here's to Mom's & Grammaws everywhere. A great reason to be Thankful.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #7037
ShnOmac

Quote:
The key is good beef. We are so time pressed we rarely cook a tenderloin of beef Italian style. Boar's Head out of the deli counter works well.

I learned to cook from my grandmother and mom. They never measured anything, except in the palm of the hand. I cook the same way. It drives my wife nuts because she wants exact measurements. What we are making is an aromatic, robust Italian au juice. Add a little at a time and you'll get it just right.

Seasonings:

Fresh Basil Leaves, tear or chop them into small bits. It helps bring out the flavor if you wake Basil up with a little rubbing before you tear or chop.
Fresh Ground Pepper
Celery Seed, grind them to a pepper like consistency with a mortar and pestle. Not too much.
Kosher Salt, as needed.

Cover the pot and simmer for an hour. Let the pot coil a bit then add the thinly sliced beef. Tear the beef into smaller pieces. We just want to warm the beef. If the beef discolors quickly and becomes tough the au juice is too hot.

Buns are the hardest part. Try to find an Italian style bun with a light to medium crust. The heavy artisan style breads are too tough. No whole wheat or sweet wheat. The buns have to be a salty dough style. If the buns are packaged in plastic bags, freshen them in an oven pre-heated to 400. It doesn't take long to crisp them so they feel and smell like fresh bread.

Slice the bun length wise about 80% of the way. Fill with tender beef. Quickly dip the sandwich. Too long and it will fall apart. Not long enough and it won't be the right consistency. Spoon on the giardiniera along with oil from the jar. Wrap in wax paper and let it stand for 5 minutes.

Enjoy!
Printed and added to the cookbook!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #7038
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
Here's to Mom's & Grammaws everywhere. A great reason to be Thankful.

And can we add wives that tolerate workaholic husbands, cars they can no longer drive and husbands. Not that I know any...
Old 11-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #7039
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
That's very true Pete, especially during the Holiday Season...Thanksgiving, home cooked meals and the family, Mom's and Grandmom's at the center of it all. Brings back fond memories for me...enjoy yours if you are still able to and lets all be greatful to what they have brought us.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #7040
ShnOmac

Quote:

And can we add wives that tolerate workaholic husbands, cars they can no longer drive and husbands. Not that I know any...
Added!

Can we also add wives that stick with and support military guys whom are never home?

Last edited by ShnOmac; 11-22-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #7041
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Portillos or Buono Beef. Both are very good. Wet = dip in the au juice Hot = Giardiniera http://www.viennabeef.com/products/i...?PRODUCT_ID=23

The sandwich should be so sloppy it is hard to eat without a bib
Dipped and sloppy with pepperoncini peppers. (my mouth is a actually watering as I type this)
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #7042
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:

Seasonings:

Fresh Ground Pepper
Kosher Salt, as needed.

Enjoy!
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...yummy...
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014