Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #15
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
Now I enhanced one of your after pictures so you can see the valves.
Attached Images

Last edited by Coleroad; 04-03-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #16
Coleroad

Now, pennzoil platinum ultra . The base oil used in it is 8% cleaner than Mobil 1. It is 20% cleaner than the standard set forth for synthetic oil. The noack is 40% less than mobile 1. This is what a 13 lfx looks like at 25k. It has no catch can, and has had the fixed orifice pcv valve cleaned every oil change. Since the first oil change it has had pennzoil platinum ultra oil. This picture is cylinder one
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2017, 11:11 AM   #17
Coleroad

A close up of one of those valves.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #18
Moncadari

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT Conv.
Nice man! Feel a difference in driving it?
Moncadari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #19
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Thanks Coleroad. You can really see the build up. Good work!
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #20
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moncadari View Post
Nice man! Feel a difference in driving it?
Oh yes, definitely. It is reving quicker, better pull in the lower rpm range. As soon as I get the oil changed and give the ecu a chance to adapt to the new set up, I'm gonna get some timings and compare to last years. I fully expect better timings. The butt dyno says there's a good improvement!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #21
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
Now, pennzoil platinum ultra . The base oil used in it is 8% cleaner than Mobil 1. It is 20% cleaner than the standard set forth for synthetic oil. The noack is 40% less than mobile 1. This is what a 13 lfx looks like at 25k. It has no catch can, and has had the fixed orifice pcv valve cleaned every oil change. Since the first oil change it has had pennzoil platinum ultra oil. This picture is cylinder one
Pennzoil plantinum ultra. Looks like quite a lot less build up. I even did a solvent cleaning 6,000 miles ago. Cylinder one is usually the worst one. I'm thinking about switching over to pennzoil. What's the fixed orifice pcv valve and how do you clean it?
Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #22
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Now I enhanced one of your after pictures so you can see the valves.
Man, the walnut blasting really did the trick! Again, thanks Coleroad!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #23
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

If any one is going to install the JacFab extendolator manifold spacers, since you will already have the manifold off, I highly recommend doing the walnut blasting. For $50 you regain ten or so ponies that you have lost do to restriction from the intake valves coking up. I plan on making this an annual maintenance project.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #24
Coleroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Pennzoil plantinum ultra. Looks like quite a lot less build up. I even did a solvent cleaning 6,000 miles ago. Cylinder one is usually the worst one. I'm thinking about switching over to pennzoil. What's the fixed orifice pcv valve and how do you clean it?

The valve is what the dirty side pcv hose pulls off of on the valve cover. The valve pulls out. I then use some brake cleaner to clean it. Just to make sure the holes don't ever become plugged.

Pennzoil platinum ultra, has the lowest noack. The larger the noack number the more the oil vaporizes. In this link you can read test numbers on almost every brand of oil.
http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Su...2_15_2016.html
Old 04-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #25
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
The valve is what the dirty side pcv hose pulls off of on the valve cover. The valve pulls out. I then use some brake cleaner to clean it. Just to make sure the holes don't ever become plugged.

Pennzoil platinum ultra, has the lowest noack. The larger the noack number the more the oil vaporizes. In this link you can read test numbers on almost every brand of oil.
http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Su...2_15_2016.html
Ok, thanks for the info!!
Old 04-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #26
Coleroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Thanks Coleroad. You can really see the build up. Good work!
You're welcome, just wanted to make it easier for everyone to see how well your work turned out for you.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #27
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
You're welcome, just wanted to make it easier for everyone to see how well your work turned out for you.
It really helped out. The enhanced shots show much better detail. Again, thanks a lot, nice improvement!!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #28
Twin Town Terror

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
So, today was they day I was going to take my intake off, clean it, and blast my intake valves. I was going to do this as my final maintanence before this years race season starts. I had machined up a 1/8" aluminum plate that would cover the port and hold the vacuum nozzle. It has a second hole for the blast gun. I keep using the words was and had because I took everything apart and my valves look like KC's after photos!!! I assumed I would need to do this maintanence because I now have passed the 21,000 mile mark. I've seen the other threads and the pictures and with this many miles they should be too bad for just a chemical clean. Right? Well I have to say putting the Elite catch can and clean side separator on at 3000 miles was the best thing I have ever done! All I ended up doing was clean the throttle body and put everything back together. I hope the walnut media will still be good in a couple years...
Elite catch can & clean side oil separator, Apex Scoop, CAI cold air intake, Vmax ported throttle body, TTT ported intake manifold, JacFab intake manifold spacer, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Weld RT-S 17x5 f and 17x 9 r wheels, MT 28/6/17 f and M&H 275/50/17 r tires, TTT rear seat delete, Nitrous Outlet plate kit, 125hp jets.
Twin Town Terror is offline   Reply With Quote