Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
GrootZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 2SS
2011 Camaro SS drivetrain slack?

Hey all. Just picked up a beautiful 2011 Camaro SS 2SS with 11k miles last week. Noticed when taking off from first I get a loud knocking noise while coming off the clutch. While accelerating to 2nd and some of 3rd gear it will continue. Also its pretty bad when skip shifting 1st to 4th. I get no vibrations just loud clunking noise. Is this true? And are there any recalls or extended warrenty for this? I have been looking around and people say it's just normal M6 drivetrain noise. I just want to confirm before taking it to the dealership to get it looked at.

Thank you
GrootZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #2
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrootZL1 View Post
Hey all. Just picked up a beautiful 2011 Camaro SS 2SS with 11k miles last week. Noticed when taking off from first I get a loud knocking noise while coming off the clutch. While accelerating to 2nd and some of 3rd gear it will continue. Also its pretty bad when skip shifting 1st to 4th. I get no vibrations just loud clunking noise. Is this true? And are there any recalls or extended warrenty for this? I have been looking around and people say it's just normal M6 drivetrain noise. I just want to confirm before taking it to the dealership to get it looked at.

Thank you
Yeaaaa thats not normal.

If its safe and possible try and get a video or recording of it.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
GrootZL1

I will try and get a video this week. Detailer should be back tomorrow to finish buffing and waxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
Yeaaaa thats not normal.

If its safe and possible try and get a video or recording of it.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
metrogdor22

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Our cars do have a bit of drivetrain chatter that can be heard if you press the clutch quickly while driving slowly and shifting from 1st to 2nd. What you're describing is not that and doesn't sound normal.

As for the skip shift making it worse, it has a tendency to make just about everything worse. Your options are take off more aggressively at every light, overrev the crap out of your engine in 1st, or lug it going into 4th at 15 mph. A $15 skip shift eliminator will fix that and was the first and best mod I've done.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
When you come off the clutch are you still accelerating, giving it any gas? The drive train does get clunky if you release it while under load. If doing it during acceleration that's not normal.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
GrootZL1

It's 50/50. As I'm coming off the clutch I give it gas. I've always had stick shift cars but FWD. This is my first RWD. Not used to having a drive shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD555 View Post
When you come off the clutch are you still accelerating, giving it any gas? The drive train does get clunky if you release it while under load. If doing it during acceleration that's not normal.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
GrootZL1

for some reason its not letting me post videos.. keeps getting declined
Old 05-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
GrootZL1

OK update on the drivetrain. Chevy looked at it today and they said everything was in perfect condition. They drove it 2 miles and said everything was great. Checked all bolts/nuts also.

Last edited by GrootZL1; 05-09-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
well that sucks...
Old 05-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Chevy is telling you the truth!
My 2014 ALWAYS has bucking, clunking, shudder in 1st/2nd gears driving in parking lots or stop-and-go, even when brand new.
Took me a lot of practice to adapt to the finicky drive-train to lower the occurrence.

The giubo couplings on EACH end of the driveshaft are designed to absorb a lot of energy when loaded - like storing energy in a rubber band, huge rubber pucks. (photo below)

When the energy is suddenly released (during manual shift) the giudo causes the driveshaft to rotate quickly and slight play in the transmission gears causes a clank and shudder. Also causes jolt and surging when lugging at low rpm in parking garage for example.

Due to high HP, these energy absorbing giubo couplings are used to help absorb shock and keep things from breaking versus using a plain universal joint on engine and differential ends.
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #11
GrootZL1

Wow thanks for the details.That's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
My 2014 ALWAYS has bucking, clunking, shudder in 1st/2nd gears driving in parking lots or stop-and-go, even when brand new.
Took me a lot of practice to adapt to the finicky drive-train to lower the occurrence.

The giubo couplings on EACH end of the driveshaft are designed to absorb a lot of energy when loaded - like storing energy in a rubber band, huge rubber pucks. (photo below)

When the energy is suddenly released (during manual shift) the giudo causes the driveshaft to rotate quickly and slight play in the transmission gears causes a clank and shudder. Also causes jolt and surging when lugging at low rpm in parking garage for example.

Due to high HP, these energy absorbing giubo couplings are used to help absorb shock and keep things from breaking versus using a plain universal joint on engine and differential ends.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #12
km9v

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
I've been driving my '11 SS since 2010 & initially I had similar symptoms. I found that I needed to finesse the pedal a bit more & give slightly more gas. I removed the clutch return spring & that made launches a bit easier.
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post

Actually, these gumbos are used when the differential is fixed because of independent read suspension. They are the low mass and low cost alternative whenever minimal range of motion is required.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote