Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
southpawblues

Drives: 2SS, RS,IOM,Tan leath. DEC 09
Zaino winterized but what about spring?

OK, I admit I am getting impatient. I stored my IOM 2SS for the winter after only driving it for two weeks (took delivery in November and two weeks later the winter hit us in Illinois). When I stored the car I washed with Dawn dishwashing liquid, clayed and Zainoed with Z5 (three coats) every painted surface of the car. Since I am a newby with Zaino, any recommendations for spring when I take her out of storage. Do I need to basically start over with the Dawn dishwashing liquid wash and go from there or since I already have a nice base coat of Zaino, can I just go with another coat of Zaino? Any advice from the veterans is much appreciated.
southpawblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
I'm not a veteran, but I can tell you all you need to do is maybe claybar and add some more coat's of Z-5 and your set...unless your planning on doing a full detail (polish/buff) Dont use the dawn!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Warmart

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Auto - Black & IO
Send a message via AIM to Warmart Send a message via MSN to Warmart Send a message via Yahoo to Warmart
You would benefit from a final Z2 coat. Z2 has better optical properties than Z5. Also perhaps, some CS if you want to be anal.
Warmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
amanc96

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS
No need to wash the car down with dawn again. That's only if you want to strip the whole car down of whatever's on the paint.

The need for Z5 is only if you see swirls or fine scratches and to hide them. If you don't see anything, I'd just start off with Z2, but make sure your paint is clean and not dusty from sitting in storage.
amanc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
southpawblues

Drives: 2SS, RS,IOM,Tan leath. DEC 09
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. Sorry, I meant to say three coats of Z2 not Z5 in my inital post.
Southpawblues
southpawblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpawblues View Post
OK, I admit I am getting impatient. I stored my IOM 2SS for the winter after only driving it for two weeks (took delivery in November and two weeks later the winter hit us in Illinois). When I stored the car I washed with Dawn dishwashing liquid, clayed and Zainoed with Z5 (three coats) every painted surface of the car. Since I am a newby with Zaino, any recommendations for spring when I take her out of storage. Do I need to basically start over with the Dawn dishwashing liquid wash and go from there or since I already have a nice base coat of Zaino, can I just go with another coat of Zaino? Any advice from the veterans is much appreciated.
I'm in the same "boat".

My "Spring ritual" is to bring him out of hibernation, give him a good bath, and go for a looonnnggg ride!

After that, it's another bath, followed by Z-2.

It IS NOT necessary to wash with Dawn nor clay. Just a good bath and polish away.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote