Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-14-2021, 06:12 AM   #29
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
You're ok.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #30
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
A couple updates. First thing I've noticed is that the gm performance racing lifters are kinda noisy. Does anyone else run these lifters and if so are yours noisy? Also she really bucks in gear, is this normal? And Ryan set my idle to 650 rpm what's yours set at? Thanks guys.
Mine bucks slightly at 900 to 1000 rpm range. Not sure on the lifters I have ls7 lifters and they don't seem to loud.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:54 AM   #31
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
A couple updates. First thing I've noticed is that the gm performance racing lifters are kinda noisy. Does anyone else run these lifters and if so are yours noisy? Also she really bucks in gear, is this normal? And Ryan set my idle to 650 rpm what's yours set at? Thanks guys.
First - the car sounds awesome. You guys are right, our "stages" tend to run a little larger in actual size that most of our competitors - the SS1 is a pretty aggressive camshaft for a stock torque converter car, and delicately balances performance against driveability. Ideally, even the stage 1 cams would prefer to be paired with a higher stall converter - and that big of tugging you're feeling at idle is totally normal with a stock converter. If something more significant is going on where your getting any sort of violent bucking, we definitely want to get that cleaned up in the tune, just let us know.

The valve-train noise is another side-effect of much heavier springs working against much bigger lobes on the camshaft. The top end of a cammed LS is usually a pretty noisy place - but it's also perfectly normal. It always seems to stand out to you more when it's your own car, but take a listen to some other cammed LS setups and you'll pretty much always find a mild cacophony of sewing machine noise.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #32
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
First - the car sounds awesome. You guys are right, our "stages" tend to run a little larger in actual size that most of our competitors - the SS1 is a pretty aggressive camshaft for a stock torque converter car, and delicately balances performance against driveability. Ideally, even the stage 1 cams would prefer to be paired with a higher stall converter - and that big of tugging you're feeling at idle is totally normal with a stock converter. If something more significant is going on where your getting any sort of violent bucking, we definitely want to get that cleaned up in the tune, just let us know.

The valve-train noise is another side-effect of much heavier springs working against much bigger lobes on the camshaft. The top end of a cammed LS is usually a pretty noisy place - but it's also perfectly normal. It always seems to stand out to you more when it's your own car, but take a listen to some other cammed LS setups and you'll pretty much always find a mild cacophony of sewing machine noise.
I don't know if the bucking in gear is normal or not. It is kinda violent. Who should I contact about it, Ryan?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #33
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
I don't know if the bucking in gear is normal or not. It is kinda violent. Who should I contact about it, Ryan?
If you did remote tuning with us, you should contact us through tuning@gwatneyperformance.com. You should definitely capture the bucking on a data log, and be sure to provide that, along with a detailed description of what you're experiencing, and exactly where it is in the data log. If you have any short video capturing what you're describing that can be helpful as well. There is some amount of non-stock like behavior with a bigger aftermarket cam, especially with a stock torque converter, but our stage 1 cam should drive quite well.

Do be a bit patient with us, the volume surge in the first quarter of 2021 has been crazy, and we're all scrambling to try to get everybody taken care of. You can reach me directly via private message on here as well if you're not getting everything you need through our normal channels.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #34
morepowerjoe

I don't know if I'm over reacting or not. Is anyone else experiencing a bucking in gear with their cam?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 04-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #35
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Mine does it at red lights sometimes even with my converter. I don't mind it though. Unleash the beast!!!
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:41 PM   #36
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Mine does it at red lights sometimes even with my converter. I don't mind it though. Unleash the beast!!!
I'm glad to hear it's maybe normal 😅

Old 04-14-2021, 03:40 PM   #37
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

If I try to idle through a parking lot it jumps a lot. But hey, that's why I built it.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #38
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
I'm running the Delphi LS7 lifters and they are pretty quiet I guess, doesn't sound like a sewing machine. lol. We have my idle set at 850..
Old 04-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #39
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
I don't know if I'm over reacting or not. Is anyone else experiencing a bucking in gear with their cam?
I do get some at idle at stop lights even with the 4200 converter, just the nature of the "beast"!! lol
Old 04-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #40
L99MARO
#teamGPI

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
My SS1 bucks slightly when stopping, if I know I'm going to be stopped for a moment I'll keep it in drive, at long lights I throw it in neutral.
L99MARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:08 PM   #41
morepowerjoe

Thanks guys. Your really setting my heart at ease because I was really thinking something was wrong, so Thanks. Like flyingbananass was saying when I'm trying to idle through my kids car rider line my car jumps and I think it scares the sh*t out of the teachers. But hey I guess that's the price we pay in our search for power right?

Old 04-14-2021, 08:14 PM   #42
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Mine will even do it when slowing down approaching a red light.