Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #141
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
And the Brembo package is $1600 and it includes the Brembo brakes, 19" wheels with summer high performance tires, different sway bars, shocks, and springs, 3.73 rear end, and performance tuning for the stability control.
Nope, you have to order a track pac to get the 3.73 rear end, and you also get a bigger radiator and oil cooler, along with what you mentioned.

Every dealer has cars with the Brembo package in stock...0 dealers will have a track pac equipped GT, you have to order those.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #142
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Nope, you have to order a track pac to get the 3.73 rear end, and you also get a bigger radiator and oil cooler, along with what you mentioned.

Every dealer has cars with the Brembo package in stock...0 dealers will have a track pac equipped GT, you have to order those.
Sorry man but you're wrong. Track pack includes Brembo package + coolers as well as a Torsen diff. The Brembo package by itself includes the 3.73s when optioned on the M6 cars. Forgot to mention, BBP also includes GT500 LCAs. And I've seen quite a few Track Pack GTs at local dealers. They do stock them.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #143
2012 IngotSilver 5.0
FIVE.OH

Drives: 2016 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Nope, you have to order a track pac to get the 3.73 rear end ...
Negatory Big Ben!
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #144
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Oh so they close my thread but leave this one open? You guys are so awesome...
Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #145
2012 IngotSilver 5.0
FIVE.OH

Drives: 2016 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2ren View Post
My friend has a 2013 Mustang GT ... He actually tells me "I'm still not sure if I made the right decision." I always comfort him by saying :"Your car is slightly faster." and he would always respond :"Yea but look at your car... damn..."
In light of the pic you use in your sig, I have to question whether or not he was actually referring to the car ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
... every single mag /reviews i have read has said the Camaro is a much better car ... It blows away the Mustang except in a drag race, 1/4 mile,,,
For the umpteenth zillion time, almost every automotive test shows the Camaro SS and the new 5.0 run virtually identical 1/4 mile times.

For Ex:

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-twin-bill.pdf

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...acc2eca750.pdf

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezfl...bba6e495ec.pdf
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #146
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Ok. I'll start the fire. With the issues I've had with my 2011 SS so far...I've looked at the 5.0. I liked what I saw. A lot. I've had to really think about NOT doing it. Since I was a kid, I've wanted an SS. I finally have one. The only thing that keeps me from trading in my black SS with dandruff is the sound of a flowmaster exhaust on the LS3 engine. It's THE sound to have in a car. Period.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #147
Deki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinisterLS3 View Post
Ok. I'll start the fire. With the issues I've had with my 2011 SS so far...I've looked at the 5.0. I liked what I saw. A lot. I've had to really think about NOT doing it. Since I was a kid, I've wanted an SS. I finally have one. The only thing that keeps me from trading in my black SS with dandruff is the sound of a flowmaster exhaust on the LS3 engine. It's THE sound to have in a car. Period.
As a Mustang owner, and a Camaro enthusiast, I would suggest to wait until the new Mustang comes out. The styling will be different, it will still have the 302 (possibly with direct injection and 450+hp), independent rear end will be added, and it is said to be 150 to 200lbs. lighter than the outgoing model. If it turns out to be a flop, and you still want to jump ship, I'm sure the 2014s will be going for 7k off MSRP. I got my GT at the beginning of 2011 (it's a 2011) and I got 6k off just by being a stingy bastard. What kind of issues are you having with your SS? And x2 on the flows on an LS. Great sound. The new 5.0s really don't sound as good as the old 3V 4.6 motors, which I think were the best sounding V8s as of late...too bad any pre 2011 Mustang, save for a few SVT versions and specialty models, never really did anything for me...I did love beating the shit out of them in my Z28 though
Old 11-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #148
ps2ren

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Brembo brake package isn't really needed on the GT. The stock 13.5" brakes do just fine and stop shorter than the Brembos on the Camaro. And the Brembo package is $1600 and it includes the Brembo brakes, 19" wheels with summer high performance tires, different sway bars, shocks, and springs, 3.73 rear end, and performance tuning for the stability control.
I'm pretty sure the break distance for the standard GT is shorter than the V6 camaro but longer than the V8 brembos, there are plenty of test videos on youtube. The track package that include the breaks is $2500 instead of the $1700 for breaks alone. The real problem is during cold and wet weather, the stock breaks on the mustang becomes very jerky...... my friend constantly apologize for snappy breaking every time the weather gets rough.

Either way most people believe mustangs are slightly cheaper than the camaro as an up side, where in reality the camaro packages include much bigger bundles and the mustang sell everything separately. The premium trim on the mustang doesn't have back up sensor nor the power-heated seats. Camaro "2" pretty much gives you everything inside for a lightly better deal
Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #149
Deki

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the break distance for the standard GT is shorter than the V6 camaro but longer than the V8 brembos, there are plenty of test videos on youtube. The track package that include the breaks is $2500 instead of the $1700 for breaks alone. The real problem is during cold and wet weather, the stock breaks on the mustang becomes very jerky...... my friend constantly apologize for snappy breaking every time the weather gets rough.

Either way most people believe mustangs are slightly cheaper than the camaro as an up side, where in reality the camaro packages include much bigger bundles and the mustang sell everything separately. The premium trim on the mustang doesn't have back up sensor nor the power-heated seats. Camaro "2" pretty much gives you everything inside for a lightly better deal
The braking distance for both the regular GT and the brembo are the same, the difference comes to the Brembos experiencing less fade in repeated stops. I really don't know what the cold weather has to do with the smoothness of the brakes...two years here with my GT and never had any experience like that. And the Mustang is cheaper than the Camaro, even when optioned out similarly.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #150
ps2ren

Quote:
The braking distance for both the regular GT and the brembo are the same, the difference comes to the Brembos experiencing less fade in repeated stops. I really don't know what the cold weather has to do with the smoothness of the brakes...two years here with my GT and never had any experience like that. And the Mustang is cheaper than the Camaro, even when optioned out similarly.
It must be the location then, he's in NJ and I did do a price comparison between the two cars when he got it. Maybe he just failed at bargaining lol~
Old 11-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #151
JustCraig

Drives: 07 Super Bee #587 & 07 Tahoe
Chevy 60-0 distances:
SS = 132'
V6 = 123-132 depending on tire/wheel package.
http://tinyurl.com/ckv9g8d

The V6 RS actually stops much faster than the SS.

Couldn't find any 'official' data from Ford for a standard GT, but MT recorded 107' for the Premium with Brembos, and 110' for a V6.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #152
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCraig View Post
Chevy 60-0 distances:
SS = 132'
V6 = 123-132 depending on tire/wheel package.
http://tinyurl.com/ckv9g8d

The V6 RS actually stops much faster than the SS.

Couldn't find any 'official' data from Ford for a standard GT, but MT recorded 107' for the Premium with Brembos, and 110' for a V6.
I see~ what surprised me is actually the new V6 0-60 number, how did it manage to drop almost half a sec with the new engine and slightly higher power? The pre-2012 V6 use to be 5.8~ 6.0 sec If I remembered right
Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #153
JustCraig

Drives: 07 Super Bee #587 & 07 Tahoe
Quote:
I see~ what surprised me is actually the new V6 0-60 number, how did it manage to drop almost half a sec with the new engine and slightly higher power? The pre-2012 V6 use to be 5.8~ 6.0 sec If I remembered right
The 6.4 is for the 2LS (different gear ratio) for better gas mileage. It remains 5.9 for the 1LS and LT.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #154
ps2ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCraig View Post
The 6.4 is for the 2LS (different gear ratio) for better gas mileage. It remains 5.9 for the 1LS and LT.
Wow then why did they pick the lowest number to put on the big graphics? Should just used the more common numbers to use for the V6. Most car companies even put up the mpg on the entry level engines next to the horsepower and torque on the top trim engines...... I know giving underestimated number is good for the consumer but not very smart from a competitive stand point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 IngotSilver 5.0 View Post
In light of the pic you use in your sig, I have to question whether or not he was actually referring to the car ...
Lol thank you~ He does think the mustang has a more subtle look, which is part of the reason he went with it out of the 3 choices given his age.
He was really torn between the mustang and the camaro, in the end he said "It would look too 'mid-life crisis' when an old guy like me comes out of a flashy car like the camaro"
His mustang is metallic grey with no stripes, almost as low-key as you can get on the 2013. But once in a while he would actually stop by chevy dealer on the way home and wonder if he made the right choice

Last edited by ps2ren; 11-06-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Closed Thread